Author Topic: Grants and McPhersons in the Mortlach area  (Read 12083 times)

Offline JoeM

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grants and McPhersons in the Mortlach area
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 November 10 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi US LASS,

I to am related to the Grants of Banffshire.

Not sure if it would be the same tree as yours.

My link is one of a maternal one.

Ann Grant (b. 1834 Cullen, Banffshire d. 1909 Lands End, Fifeshire) married William Smart (b. Dec. 9/1823 Collessie Fifeshire d. 1907 Falkland, Fireshire).

If Ann is related to you, please feel free to look at my family tree on Ancestry. I have linked approximately 2400 people thus far.

Family tree is listed under JoeMel99.

Hope this is of some use to you.

One of my weak links is the Grant family, I have yet to find Ann's father and mother nor any of their ancestors.

Joe

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 August 12 06:42 BST (UK) »
Not specifically on your subject but there was a Paul and Sylvester Grant from Mortlach on board "Christian McAusland' from Gravesend Sep 1872, arrived Otago, New Zealand 5 Dec 1872. I know they were from Mortlach area as they were known to the McKay family on the same ship and are mentioned in McKay letters home to their family at Inveravon, Mortlach. Thought you may wish to keep them in mind for future roadblocks.
Rgds
 francoso

Offline susan42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 February 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,
I am also interested in Grants from Banffshire. I know it is a very well known name in this area. William Grant was one of several children born to John Grant and Annie Wilson. He was born in 1885 in Fordyce but emigrated to Canada where he married Janet Beveridge Groebert in 1918. They had a son, William. In the 1901 Scotland Census he seems to be a Farm servant in Turriff. I have been unable to find a marriage record of John to Annie. If anyone has any connection to this family I would love to hear from you.

Susan

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 February 13 09:13 GMT (UK) »
William Grant was one of several children born to John Grant and Annie Wilson .... He was born in 1885 in Fordyce .... I have been unable to find a marriage record of John to Annie.

Go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and invest in a few credits at modest cost. Then use some of them to get William's birth certificate. It will tell you the date and place of his parents' marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline susan42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 February 13 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the advice, Forfarian. I did look on Scotlands People and got the marriage date I was looking for. Why did I not do that before? Bleary eyed and muddle-headed no doubt! Anyway, I am grateful, so many thanks again.

Susan

Offline jo1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 May 16 19:50 BST (UK) »
I am researching my great great granny Jean Beattie's side born 1863 whose mother was Jean Grant born 1840 to Peter Grant (1817) and Elspet Dow.

I have Peter's dad Peter who was born in 1795, and resided in the Cabrach, Bridgend seems to ring a bell, where he was a blacksmith,

If I am right his blacksmith shop was handed down to his Great Granddaughter Jean Beattie, who married William Harper, who was also a blacksmith.

I am trying to find out where Peter Grant ( 1795) was born as I have been on Genealogy of the Cabrach, and just gives Aberdeenshire and not who his parents are either.

If there is anyone on this page shed any light it would be great.

I also have other family members who were born and lived in the Cabrach, Glass areas: Thomson's, Milne's, :)   

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 May 16 21:03 BST (UK) »
According to the International Genealogical Index (IGI) at www.familysearch.org there were two couples named Peter Grant and Elspet Dow. One couple were married on 25 November 1824 in Knockando, Moray and the other on 21 February 1837 In Cabrach.

There were ten children of these two couples
First, both born in Knockando
Margaret, born 30 September 1825
Jane, born 19 May 1827
They almost certainly have nothing to do with yours.

Second, all born in Cabrach
Elspet, born 10 June 1837
Jean, born 6 December 1840
Alexander, born 3 February 1846
Isabella, born 19 April 1850
Margaret, born 19 January 1852
Janet, born 24 June 1855
Barbara, born 2 September 1858
Peter, born 23 April 1861

The 1841 census lists at Burntreble, Cabrach Peter Mitchell, 70; Peter Grant, 20; Elspet Grant, 20; Elspet Grant, 4; Jean Grant, 6 months.
At Alluie in 1841 are Peter Grant, 45, blacksmith; Elizabeth Grant, 20; and Jean Grant, 11. The original census records that they were all born in Cabrach, Banffshire, but the transcription at http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl has changed that to Cabrach, Aberdeenshire.

In 1851, at Ardwell, Cabrach are Elspet Grant, 35; daughter Elspet, 13; and daughter Isobel, 11 months. Presumably Peter was working away from home, but I can't find him in the FreeCEN transcription. At Rhinturk, Cabrach are Alexander Dow, 83; his daughter Isobel, 23; his granddaughter Jean, 10; and grandson Alexander, 5, all born in Cabrach, Banffshire.

In 1861, at Rhinturk are Peter Grant, 44; wife Elspet, 45; daughters Elspet, 23; Margaret, 9; Janet, 5 and Barbara, 2. All born in Cabrach Banffshire.

In 1871 at Ballochford are Peter Grant, 54; wife Elspet, 55; daughters Elspet, 33; Isabelle, 20; Jannet, 15; Barbra, 12 and son Peter 9. Again, all born Cabrach, Banffshire

In 1881 Peter Grant, 64; wife Elspet, 65; daughter Elspet, 43 and Jessie, 25; and son Peter, 19; were at Burnside. Again, all born Cabrach, Banffshire. (Jessie is synonymous with Jan(n)et).

So it is reasonable to suppose that Peter was born in 1816 or early in 1817, and Elspet in 1815 or early 1816. It also seems reasonable to suppose that they were all born in the part of the parish that belongs to Banffshire.

As they both lived well past 1855, there will be death certificates for both at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, where you can also view the originals of the above census transcriptions. You should also look at the birth certificate of Janet because 1855 certificates contain a lot of information not recorded in other years. The death certificates will tell you the full names of both sets of parents, including their mothers' maiden surnames, and you can use this to search for baptisms in the IGI and then check the originals at Scotland's People.

However don't believe everything you find in the IGI; the 'community indexed' listings are fairly safe but the 'community indexed' listings can be misleading. Use the IGi as a very useful pointer for finding the original records, but don't rely on it being correct all the time.

Now, to Peter senior. His age in the census is listed as 45. Ages in 1841 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years, so he could in fact have been anything from 45 to 49, which, if it is accurate, would mean he was born between 1791 and 1796. There are a few Peter Grants born in Banffshire and Aberdeenshire between these dates, but none in Cabrach, so either he was born in a different parish or his baptism is not in the available records.

I can't see him in the 1851 census, which suggests that he probably died between the 1841 and 1851 censuses, so there won't be a death certificate, as these did not exist until 1855. I don't know the Genealogy of the Cabrach site, but I presume that the reason it just says 'Aberdeenshire' is because his actual birthplace is unknown.

I see that Peter Grant and Ann McPherson had two recorded children, both born in Cabrach, Aberdeenshire
James, born 25 July 1819
Elizabeth, born 11 May 1821
So perhaps this is the 20-year-old Elizabeth listed at Rhinturk in 1841. The death certificate of Peter Jr will clarify this.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jo1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 May 16 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Forfarian for the info it is very helpful, the second Grant's born in Cabrach are my ancestors, I have found Jean Grant's marriage certificate to William Beattie in 1859 and it has her parents name on as Peter Grant and Elspet Grant (nee Dow) of Ballochford.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 16 09:58 BST (UK) »
Glad it's useful. Jut remember that all of it is from indexes and transcriptions. You should plan to verify it all by looking at the original documents, all of which are available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it's pay-per-view, but very reasonably priced.