Author Topic: My Surname Interests  (Read 5332 times)

Offline NickA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
My Surname Interests
« on: Tuesday 20 December 05 12:05 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the following surnames in Cambridgeshire:

Saywell – Croxton
Lincoln – Croxton
Green – Tadlow

Offline Geoff Chew

• FB
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Surname Interests
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 10 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nick

Hope you are still reading these posts...

I'm trying to sort out the Cambridgeshire Chews (mainly of Bourn) at the moment, and notice that they're connected somehow with the Saywells. I'm aware that a William Saywell married an Elizabeth Chew at Bourn in 1818, and there was an Isaac Saywell Chew (born Bourn about 1837, married his cousin Katton Chew in 1865, died 1880), who suggests to me that maybe there had been a marriage earlier on between a male Chew and a female Saywell.  Do you know any more about all this?  I don't think the Chews were in Bourn much before the late 18th century, which also makes me wonder which of them it was who first went there. Any thoughts you might have would be very welcome.

Geoff
Northants: CHEW, TEBBUTT, RAGSDALE, WILSON, BAKER, FRENCH, CUMBERLAND
Cumberland: BIRKETT, HODGSON, ROBINSON, TODHUNTER, TOLSON
Angus: DAND, LOW
London: CHEW, CHADWICK, PERRIN
Surrey: CHADWICK, GARRET
South Africa: JEFFREY, JEFFERIES, BIRKETT, CHEW, COMRIE, WALKER, DAND, MACPHERSON, SMITH
Wilts: BULLOCK, JEFFERIES

Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 January 10 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

I did some work on these Chews a few months ago in connection with some Rogers research I was doing. It was a bit messy!

The Chews were from Southill, Beds, although the Chews who were born in Bourn had no Chew blood in them.

Elizabeth Rogers, who was baptised at Bourn on 28 Dec 1777, moved with her parents John and Elizabeth (Darlow) Rogers, to Biggleswade, Beds c1778, and then to Southill c1786 where she married Joseph Chew on 31 July 1797, and had two children, Joseph and Elizabeth, both baptised 21 Jul 1799. The Rogers family together with their daughter Elizabeth Chew returned to Bourn somewhere between 1801 and 1805.

Elizabeth (Rogers) Chew had six illegitimate children in Bourn between 1805 and 1816 - John 1805, Catherine 1807, Isaac 1811, William 1812, Jane 1814, Robert 1816 - where the parish register names the father of them all bar John and Isaac as William Saywell. In 1818 she married William Saywell. I cannot trace a burial of her husband Joseph Chew, but it's possible that she didn't marry William Saywell until 1818 as her husband was still alive.

The link between Bourn and Southill is provided by the Bourn 1851 census - William Saywell 77 b Bourn; Elizabeth Saywell 74 b Bourn, William Saywell 39 son b Bourn, Elizabeth Chew 53 dau in law (ie step daughter) unmarried b Broom Beds (Broom is a hamlet of Southill)

I didn't look at the Chews or Saywells in Bourn, but I can see from the transcript that Isaac was baptised in Bourn on 11 April 1837, the son of Robert, and Katton appears from censuses as being the daughter of Robert's brother Isaac, so as you say, Isaac b1837 and Katton were first cousins. It's a bit odd that some of Elizabeth and William's children retained the name Chew, as William Saywell was their acknowledged father.

Hence I say that the Bourn born Chews 1805-16 had no Chew blood in them (but Joseph bap 1799 at Southill also moved to Cambs, so his offspring born in Bourn are genuine Chews, but they all emigrated to Australia in 1854).  Let me know if you need anything on the Rogers from Bourn. I can send you a full report on this family going back to 1655 if you send me a personal message with your email address

David

PS The earliest Chew reference in Southill was the marriage of Joseph to Sarah Reynard/Reynolds on 14 Feb 1720/1. This family may have been non-conformist as "sister Chew" became a member of Southill Baptist Church on the 1st of the second month 1725, and I can find no baptisms in the established church although there were marriages in the 1750s (my genealogical research is blessed with baptists in Southill, who didn't baptise their children!)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline NickA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 January 10 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff,

I'm afraid I've never come across anyone with the surname of Chew or any connection to Bourn during my research.

I have, however, got a William Saywell in my tree who was born abt 1775 that I know nothing about.  His parents were John Saywell (born 1743 in Croxton) and Mary Bird (born 1750 also in Croxton).

I hope this may be of help, if you need any more info on John or Mary please let me know.  So far my research into the Saywell's in the Croxton area goes back to 1633.

Nick

Offline mike13959

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 08:50 BST (UK) »

Hi Nick,

I have a William Saywell b. 1755 in my tree (my wife's GGrandfather x 3)
Same parents as you have i.e. John Saywell & Mary Bird.
William married a Hannah Cullip, and possibly re married later to a (this is where it gets confusing) Elizabeth Saywell!!
It seems from my records that she had a daughter with the surname, Chew.

Would the Saywell you mention from 1633, be by any chance, Johannes Saywell, who I believe came to Croxton from Devon, around the 1650's,

Mike
O'Neill-Dublin,Waterford
Walsh-Waterford.

Offline Greenfroggreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 June 16 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
This is my first post I hope I am doing it right. Does anyone have any information on Johannes Saywell's parents?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 26 June 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi greenfroggreen

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

you've tacked your request onto the bottom of a topic started in 2005 and added to a couple of times since.

If your person of interest related to this topic, reply #4 ?

What date range are we talking about for your enquiry if not?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Greenfroggreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 16 03:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, I believe this is the Johnnes Saywell I was after.