Author Topic: Looking for the KEY family & brewing in FIFE  (Read 10623 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the KEY family & brewing in FIFE
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 July 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry haven't come across your family.

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 July 17 01:03 BST (UK) »
May also be known by 'Kay'?

http://www.onfife.com/kay-james-brewer-crail#

Records stored at Kirkcaldy Galleries - Library, Museum, Art Gallery & Visitor Centre

And this...

http://scottishbrewingheritage.org/buildings.php?p=691

"The Crail Brewery was situated on the High Street and consisted of a group of buildings organised around a courtyard.
The Anstruther Brewery was on Burial Brae, and consisted of a group of buildings organised around a courtyard"

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MargotMiller

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 April 18 01:21 BST (UK) »
I am new here, Interested in placing my ancestor Elizabeth Key, b 1800, m Andrew Brown, who emigrated in 1820 to America, she didn’t follow until much later (1835ish).. he left her behind with their son. I think she might be a daughter of James Key, the brewer and Barbara Christie bc their daughter, b after she joined him in Natchez,MS, was called Elizabeth Christie Brown. Can someone supply full ancestry for this family? Link to one of the genealogy sites? GENI.com? Ancestry.com?  Thank you
Margot Miller

Offline MargotMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 April 18 01:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the same Key family I think. Elizabeth Key, b 1800, m Andrew Brown, who left her with their son, Andrew, while he went to America. He brought her out inthe late 1830s and they had a daughter, ELizabeth Christie Brown. I am thinking this is the right family bc of the Christie name. Canyou supply full ancestry? Is it on Gen.com? Ancestry.com? Or can you send it to me? 

I’d also like to know the origin of the Brown and Christie names... Any chance one of these had a Viking or Danish background? I am trying to work out why 23andMe thnks I have Scandiavian ancestry in the 18th-19th C. I have virtually ALL my genealogy for centuries and there are no Scandiavians...

Thanks for your help
Margot Miller

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 April 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
I’d also like to know the origin of the Brown and Christie names... Any chance one of these had a Viking or Danish background? I am trying to work out why 23andMe thnks I have Scandiavian ancestry in the 18th-19th C. I have virtually ALL my genealogy for centuries and there are no Scandiavians...

Hi Margot,

I think it's quite possible for an earlier ancestor to have arrived in Scotland from a European country but just because you can't trace further back with a 'paper trail' wouldn't exclude that possibility as many did settle in Britain in various places & probably in Scotland as much as in England/Ireland/Wales.

I'm not a 'History' geek but I do read 'bits & bobs' & have found many place names in Scotland derive from those quarters i.e. I wouldn't discount it.

As an e.g. (I'm not saying I'm correct) but the surname Christie may have morphed over time from Christison or similar which would be similar to the Scottish or Irish equivalents of O' or Mac.

Christison (I haven't looked up any spelling) but to me is son of Christie just as MacDonald would be son of Donald although the Irish 'son of' was 'O' O'Donell (spelling again I haven't looked up) but maybe this will help with your conundrum?  ;D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MargotMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 April 18 03:50 BST (UK) »
I googled the origin of the name Christie and got a hit on a DANISH word meaning ‘cup’ ! So that’s a hint...
I’d like it if someone can contact me on the private messaging service with the genealogy for the Key and Christie families.
this is my third ost, so it might be possible now...

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 April 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Margot,

Welcome to RootsChat

Gillian has been notified of your replies by email and has been online earlier this morning, hopefully she will reply to your messages very soon.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 April 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
I googled the origin of the name Christie and got a hit on a DANISH word meaning ‘cup’ ! So that’s a hint...
I’d like it if someone can contact me on the private messaging service with the genealogy for the Key and Christie families.
this is my third ost, so it might be possible now...

Blacks Surnames of Scotland lists Christie as a possible diminutive of Christian or Christopher and was most commonly found in Fife although there are records of Chrysty and other variants being used in the 1450's in the Stirling area. Christopher itself is also recorded as an anglification of the gaelic Gille Chriosda (Gilchrist)

Brown as a surname is listed a having numerous origins -
1. an old adjective meaning dark red
2. an anglification of various Gaelic terms and family names
3. an anglification of Norman or french "le brun"
4. an anglification of Brun from the Low Countries
5. An English name

Offline MargotMiller

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 April 18 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Margot,

Welcome to RootsChat

Gillian has been notified of your replies by email and has been online earlier this morning, hopefully she will reply to your messages very soon.

Regards

I cannot find GIllian’s posted replies on this string. I got her personal messages but I am looking for the detailed genealogy.... is that somewhere on this site? Other site? Geni.com? Ancestry.com? How do I find it?

Sarah