Author Topic: Aussie who needs some local help please on Tomlinson family  (Read 6229 times)

Offline wandade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Aussie who needs some local help please on Tomlinson family
« on: Saturday 11 September 04 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, greetings from down under.  I am desperately trying to find information on my g/g/g/grandfather Joseph TOMLINSON who was send to aussie as a convict for stealing turnips !!! in 1833 on Aurora.  His family is given as father John a seaman and mother Betsy (no other name given on his death cert) This family is a huge mess and full of brick walls.....  I would dealy love to know about his family and his details suggest from his shipping to aussie that he came from Leichestershire and his death cert as well..... his occupation was rope maker ???? is this common in this area ??  A friend in the UK posted a note for me before but I really thought I should explain a bit about our Joseph and why I am desperate to find him..... my mum is 75 and wants to know the family history, I have done as much as I can from here and need some local help to either find his trial details or info on the family.........any suggestions and help would be so grately appreciated and if there are by chance any family members out there, I would LOVE to hear from you........ anne in australia

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie who needs some local help please on Tomlinson family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 04 10:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
There are a few Joseph Tomlinsons listed with parents John and Betsy, would you have an idea of his age when transported etc, or from his death certificate. Get back to me and I will look again for you.
Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline wandade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 September 04 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky, his age on the shipping list is 22 years, I suspect he was born between 1810 and 1815, since he puts his age up and down at will on certificates, he was 45 in 1860 on my g/g/grans birth and then 50 when he died in 1872 !!!!  and its the same all the way through, we have the right person each time, all the other data matches, just he and his "wife" change ages with the drop of a hat !!!  I have always believed he put his age down to get work, when your really 60 people were not so keen with hard labour and he was a labourer...  I hope that helps some, I don't know anymore about his family apart from what was on the certificate, but any possibilities would be wonderful and I apprecaite al help......cheers from aussie.....anne

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 September 04 12:04 BST (UK) »
there is just the one Joseph that fits the time scale and this would have him as 22 in 1833

~~~~~~~~

JOSEPH TOMLINSON 
  Male     

~~~~~~~~
Event(s):
 Birth: 
 Christening:  12 MAY 1811   Castle Donnington, Leicester, England

Death: 
 Burial: 

~~~~~~~~
Parents:
  Father:  JOHN TOMLINSON  Family
  Mother:  ELIZABETH     

~~~~~~~~
 Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. 

~~~~~~~~
Source Information:
 Batch No.:  Dates:  Source Call No.:  Type:  Printout Call No.:  Type: 

C060242  1760 - 1812  0590862   Film  1238668   Film 

Sheet: 00

Hope this helps you.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline wandade

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 04 09:12 BST (UK) »
 :D Thank you so much for that Nicky, I don't know alot about the UK system of BDM and registers,  so is there anyway to find anymore of the family or even know if they are the correct ones ??  I did look on the IGI and it gave at the same people.....so maybe I am lucky and he is the only Joseph Tomlinson for that period...( have not been so lucky with this family so its a pleasant and unexpected change)...... Is there anyway to find out the details of his trial just to make sure I have the right fella..???  Can you send for such things or do you have to visit to fetch them ?? obviously I can't visit, so hopeful they have a mail service of some kind...... I have the shipping list for Aurora 1 in 1833 and getting his cert of freedom shortly (I hope) but would love to know the whole story behind why he came and anything else a trial tells.....any suggestions greatfully appreciated......cheers from aussie anne :)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 February 05 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne

AS you already know I have been to the Leicester Record office for you and got the trial info on Joseph TOMLINSON of Castle Donington.
I mailed you separately on that.

What we need to know now is which of the Castle Donington families he is from.It would seem as though it is not the one on the IGI(born 1811) although his parents are John(a rope maker or seaman?) and Betsey(Elizabeth?)

Does anyone have access to births in Castle Donington around 1810-1820.
Or the parents possible marriage in the late 1700's?
This family has been very difficult to follow as Joseph never appeared on any censuses with his parents as he was transported to Oz in 1833 (age 19 according to the trial transcript.)

Both Anne and I would be very grateful if anyone can come up with any info  ;D

Many thanks

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk