Author Topic: Charles LANE somerset  (Read 22820 times)

Offline debbi66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles LANE somerset
« Reply #18 on: Friday 18 July 14 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Nova67 and Peter.  I am also a descendant of James Lane and Ann Thiery.  Is there a way we can all talk via e-mail.  I am in contact with Nathan Lane and also another researcher Michael Flynn, we are all researching the same line. 

I would be interested to know if you have the parents of either James or Ann and if we have the same list of children for the couple.

Thanks

Deb

Offline kurrawalla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 18 July 14 04:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie I have sent you a private message.

kind regards Peter

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 18 July 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
Both BAFHS and FREE REG have kindly checked the entry for James Lane and Ann Thiery and agree on the date 1794.
Entry 120, 21 Dec 1794, after Banns
James DALE labourer of this parish married
Ann THYERY of this parish
Witnesses: Thos CHAPPLE and Edward HARPER
The groom and bride Marked.
Next to the marks is written James LANE and Ann THIERY ???
There is a baptism for a child called Betty (b. 1796) and Mary Dale (b.1798) at St Margaret's, Hinton Blewett to James and Ann Dale.

Hello back

I do not have any thoughts on James Lane's parents. Not sure about the Thierry bit because of the two girl's baptized to parents called Dale.  I am not dismissing it, but it just adds to the confusion, either way - DALE or LANE ???
But then I cannot find a trace of the "Dale" family after that! Maybe because they are Lane's after all!!!

I have seven children for James and Ann:
James (1802-1847), George (1805-1887), William (1807-1874), Charles (1809-1899), Ann (1812- ?), Eliza (1814-1814) and Mark (1816-1877). As in Reply#10 (baptisms mentioned towards towards the end of the message). What I think anyway re dates.

Two of Charles's children married two grandchildren of William Ledgerwood.  Both men were Convict Constables and I am a direct descendant of both men.

I did look into Ann Thierry's background and parents, despite being unsure about it, but seem to have erased it from my Ancestry tree.

Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 July 14 00:06 BST (UK) »
Please if you are going to join the forum do acknowledge any responses.  You will find a lot of really helpful people who spend a lot of time and effort and just appreciate your thanks. It will break down many brickwalls, teaching you a lot in the process. Then you pass it on. Also, being a forum, why not make it an open discussion? But that is really up to you.
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline debbi66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 24 July 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I only saw it a few minutes ago.  Like you I have no parents for either James or Ann.  I have the same children as you however believe that Betty and Mary belong to them also.  You maybe interested in the following

Notes on James and Ann Lane of Temple Cloud and Chew Magna

by Michael Flynn July 2014

email address:
incomplete draft - feedback, corrections and additional information very welcome

When quoting this text please credit it with this citation:

Notes on James and Ann Lane of Temple Cloud and Chew Magna by Michael Flynn, July 2014.

Children of James Lane (c1777?-1842) and m Ann Thiery (c1770?-1841)
1  James Lane : b 1802 Hinton Blewett (bap Litton)
2 George Lane : b c1805  Hinton Blewett (bap Litton) - d after 1851
m Mary Ann c1833
3 William Lane : bap Cameley 13 Sep 1807 – after 1851 : m Eliza Wood 1828 Clutton
4 Charles Lane : bap Cameley 22 Apr 1810 – d 1899 Newcastle NSW
:m Ann Lord 1842 Newcastle NSW
5 Ann Lane : bap Cameley 30 Apr 1812
6 Eliza Lane : bap Cameley 1 Sep 1814 – buried 30 October 1814 age 2 months
7 Mark Lane : bap Cameley 25 Aug 1816 – d 1877 Six Bells, Monmouthshire
  m Sarah Cowdrey 1837 Chew Magna

James Lane was born around 1777 in the county of Somerset.[1]  He married a woman named Ann some time prior to 1802.  She was also Somerset-born and apparently a few years his senior.  The couple had seven known children up to 1816, one of whom died in infancy. The first two children, James (1802) and George (1805) were born in Hinton Blewett and baptised in the adjacent parish of Litton.[2] The two villages were 3km (2 miles) apart. 

The couple were probably the James Lane and Ann Thiery married at East Harptree on 21 December 1794, both signing with their X marks (his surname written as Dale in the register was corrected to Lane). Thomas Chapple and Edward Harper were witnesses. East Harptree, just 3-4km distant, adjoined the other two parishes. No baptisms have been traced for any children born to the couple during 1794-1801. Either they had no surviving children in this period or they lived in another parish where records remain unindexed. War with France was raging and many men were absent on war service. The first sighting of the couple in known records is the baptism of their son James in June 1802 in the parish of Litton. The register noted that the family was resident in the adjoining parish of Hinton Blewett.

Ann was probably the Ann Thiery who had two children born out of wedlock baptized in the parish of Litton (Betty on 8 March 1785 and Sarah on 5 May 1788). The 1788 Litton baptism entry mentions that Ann was living in Hinton [Blewett], suggesting a similar place of residence to 1802.

There was another Ann Thiery in the area who was baptized at Hinton Blewett on 12 October 1777 and married John Carter in the same parish on 18 July 1796. She was the daughter of William and Betty Thiery. Her father was a yeoman farmer with property in the parish who was of a higher social status than the Lanes.[3] Mrs Ann Carter is clearly identified in the 1851 census living with her brother with the unusual name Bevis Thiery:

1851 census Charterhouse, Somerset

Bevis Thiery  Head  W  Male  75  1776  Farmer Of 460 Acres Employing 6 Lab born Hinton Blewett, Som

Ann  Carter           Sister      Married  Female 73  1778  Wife     born  Hinton Blewett, Somerset       

Hannah  James    Sister      W  Female  64      1787  Farmer's Sister  born  Hinton Blewett, Somerset

Another message to follow

Offline debbi66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 24 July 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Continued

Clearly there were two Ann Thierys in Litton and Hinton Blewett in the 1790s. The one who had a baby out of wedlock in 1785 couldn't be Ann Thiery baptised in 1777. This means that the older Ann Thiery must be the one who had the two babies out of wedlock and seems to be the same Ann Thiery who had children with James Lane. This would mean she bore children over a 31 year period between March 1785 and August 1816. She might conceivably have borne her first child at 15-16 and her last at 46-47. This would place her year of birth around 1769-1770 (consistent with the age 71 given in the parish register at her burial in 1841). Her baptism record has not been identified. The Cameley register does not give birth dates at this period, so August 1816 is the date of baptism of the youngest child, Mark Lane, not his birth. The Lanes might have waited months or a year or two to baptise the children. Mark Lane gave the age 36 for the 1851 census, suggesting a year of birth in 1814-1815.

It seems likely that Ann Thiery was a very young girl in 1785 and there is no reason to suppose that Thiery was her married name. But no baptism for her has been identified so far. She would presumably be related in some near or remote degree to the other Thierys living nearby. All were doubtless descended from the French Protestant refugee Lewis Thiery who had settled in the area in the 1650s.

~~~~~~~~

[1] 1841 census: born in Somerset county.   

[2] The Litton baptism register notes them as Hinton Blewett residents.

[3] TNA, Abstract of Will of William Thiery, Yeoman of Hinton Blewett, Somerset. Proved in the Court of Bath and Wells, December 10 1805, ref IR 26/291/60.

I had the same information as Michael, thankfully.

At the moment we are e-mail each other, could you e-mail me and I can copy you in.  I don't want to add too much here at the moment as people tend to copy errors without checking - an examply being the number of people who have Ann Brodribb listed as the wife of James Lane rather than Ann Thyery. 

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 July 14 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbi

Good to hear back. I will PM my email. Will take a while to digest all this, have only skim read. My descent after Charles Lane m. Ann Lord is William Henry Lane m. Maria Eliza Newman  (granddaughter of William Ledgerwood, the other Convict Constable).
Thank you very much :)
N

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 August 14 08:08 BST (UK) »
Thought......I am not sure why then there is a marriage by date 1794 that fits children baptized DALE in 1796 and 1798 in near by parish?  That is the dilemma. No burials or marriages found that make sense for these girls Betty and Mary for either LANE or DALE. Perhaps request FREE REG to do a look up to check the baptismal records ?
Also, the ages for James and Ann could really only be take as estimates per rounding of ages by census takers in 1841. They probably wouldn't have known their own true age. Could they even have got the born in county wrong if they were in the workhouse for the 1841 Census, per the informant? A possibility this is wrong. Maybe they were never formerly married.
Taking forever to type, some keyboard letters are not working  ::)  I really can spell!

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 October 14 07:18 BST (UK) »
Deb, Have you checked with FREE REG about the look up? After the whole mix up with the marriage record it would be good to see if they think it is definitely DALE for the two baptisms.  It is odd, otherwise I would no problem with the Ann-Thierry-theory. Maybe a swirly old-fashioned "L" could look like a "D"? If it is the same priest recording it as the marriage ???  Handwriting idiosyncrasy, transcription error  ??? I contacted the Corrections Coordinators previously re the marriage  - or do you want me to do it? The link is highlighted in blue at the bottom of the search page at FREE REG. They will check the actual image.