Author Topic: JOHN MACKENZIE AND ISOBEL STEWART  (Read 5438 times)

Offline BILLDORGAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
JOHN MACKENZIE AND ISOBEL STEWART
« on: Tuesday 27 December 05 22:35 GMT (UK) »
John MacKenzie is the first documented MACKENZIE I have been able to find in the extant records of Scotland. He was born near Kilcoy, Killearnan Parish, Ross-shire, Scotland ±1745. John Mackenzie was a butcher and was associated with Redcastle and later, Kilcoy Castle. He worked for Colin MacKenzie, the Laird of these estates.

He married Isobel Stewart. She was born in Inverness-shire, Scotland. Nothing further is known about her. However, there are two baptismal records that seem to fit Isobel Stewart in Inverness Parish: 1) Isobel Steuart, born July 29, 1746, of Thomas Steuart and Isobell McKenzie and 2) Isobel Steuart, born February 26, 1747 of John Steuart and Katherine Clark. I favor the last Isobel Steuart because her parents are John and Katherine, forenames that are passed on during succeeding generations. Although Isobel and its variants are passed on, Thomas is not. Notice the spelling as Steuart, not Stewart.

The exact places of birth and baptisms for John MacKenzie and Isobel Stewart are not known. But the extant records tell us that they were living in or around Kilcoy and Balnain, Killearnan Parish, Ross-shire, near Redcastle, Scotland during the 1770-1790s.

The only known children of John MacKenzie and Isobel Stewart are:

+   2   i. Donald MacKenzie, born about 1769 in Balnain, Ross-shire, Scotland.
+   3   ii.   William MacKenzie, born 1 Sep 1770 in Balnain, Ross-shire, Scotland; baptized, 2 Sept 1770 in Urray Parish, Ross-shire; died 11 Mar 1868 in West Branch, East River, Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Offline BILLDORGAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MACKENZIE AND ISOBEL STEWART
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
CONTINUATION OF JOHN MACKENZIE and ISOBEL STEWART:

There may have been other children of John MacKenzie and Isobel Stewart, but they are unknown. I have a copy of the baptism record of William MacKenzie. According to his baptism record, William was "son to John MacKenzie & Isobel Stewart his spouse in Balnain of (Bras/Brau/Braas?) born 1st was baptised 2 Sept 1770 in Presence of the Congregation." (OPR #118766)

Offline BILLDORGAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Name:         John MACKENZIE
Birth:           Ross-shire, Scotland
John was present at the baptism of his grand-daughter, Isobel.  He was listed as a butcher in Kilcoy, Killearnan Parish.  He was also present at the birth of his grand-son, John in Killearnan Parish.
Spouse:     Isobel STEWART
Birth:          Inverness-shire, Scotland
Children
1 M:            Donald MACKENZIE
Birth:         1769     Ross-shire, Scotland
Spouse:    Catherine MACLEAN

2 M:            William MACKENZIE
Birth:         April 2, 1771, Balnain, Ross-shire, Scotland
Death:       11 MAR 1868      West Branch, East River, Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada
Spouse:    Flora MACMILLAN
Marriage:  ABT 1795    Scotland

Offline BILLDORGAN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 05 22:50 GMT (UK) »
QUESTIONS:

1.  What may be the meaning of BALNAIN of BRAS/BRAU/BRAAS? This is an almost illegible mark on the baptismal record of his son, William? I have not been able to find the baptismal record of Donald MacKenzie in the parishes of Killearnan, Inverness or Urray.  Suggestions?
2.  I have been unable to secure a marriage record for John MacKenzie and Isobel Stewart in Killearnan, Urray or Inverness Parishes.  Suggestions?
3.  Anyone know of other children of JOHN MACKENZIE and ISOBEL STEWART?

Thanks, Bill Dorgan
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php