Author Topic: Family arrivals in Canada  (Read 8135 times)

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Family arrivals in Canada
« on: Wednesday 28 December 05 02:12 GMT (UK) »
In approximately 1836 a parish, Reepham with Kerdistone in Norfolk England decided to cut down on expenses hence taken from a PRO document is the following,       " List of Parish Poor desirous of emigrating to Upper Canada 1834-1836 etc" among the names is the brother of my direct ancestor whose name was Robert Piercy or variants Pearcy etc born 1802 ( family tale he died before leaving England but no trace of his death found) his wife Sarah c1802 children Rachel 1825, Phoebe 1828, Jacob 1830 and Isaac 1835, also included were cousins John Fuller 1819 and James Rudd 1794 and his wife Mary 1794 (believe they were destined for Quebec) and children, 6 females and 2 males, oldest 20 youngest 2, James must have upset the overseer's of the poor as his comment reads "Not so much respected by the parishioners and some other men" !!  Another of the Piercy tribe that went to Canada after March 1901 was a Charlotte Ransome Piercy b1857 who married Frederick Kidd b1855 they had at least 13 children and the family went complete with all the little Kidd's!! A family tale has it that some of the Kidd boys served and were killed in the Canadian Army in WW1, I have had no luck whatsoever in my attempts to locate these families, Any advice or assistance gratefully received.
Dennis in Australia
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline piedstilt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Show me the way to go home ..."
    • View Profile
Re: Family arrivals in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 December 05 05:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dennis,

The link below is very useful for Canadian research:

www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/index-e.html

Sorry I can't help further,

Ros

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 December 05 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Dennis,

Have you tried the free searches on this website:

http://www.canadiana.org/eco/english/

I found my husband's Irish ancestor and the company that brought them over to Ontario in one of the records.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 December 05 22:16 GMT (UK) »
As far as the latter family goes, WW1 participants,  there is a site that you can
search for Kidd names ( many there) http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02010602_e.html
but if you quickly look for Charlotte or Fredrick as next of kin, if still single, of
course, it would be a faster search.

For casualties, you can do the same here.
http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 December 05 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Dennis,

If you haven't yet, you could also check Ontario GenWeb:

http://www.geneofun.on.ca/ongenweb/

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 December 05 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Nothing found in 1881 Canadian census for any of the later born...
 but found this 1881 British census, FS...not same birthday, though
Sarah PIERCEY Widow 75  born Lynn, Norfolk, England ? 
J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 December 05 08:53 GMT (UK) »
hello

here is a possible for one of your Rudds who came to Canada

you can view the transcription and the actual page from this site - just search for Rudd and you will find the listing below

http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Do you know the names of the Rudd children who made the voyage from England to Canada?

Do you know the names of the Kidd children who came with Charlotte and her husband?

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 December 05 18:53 GMT (UK) »
You may want to look at John Fuller having settled in the U.S.A. ...as there is an ancestral file on Robert Fuller & Anne Rudd, and Henry RUDD & Amy VIOLL submitted by a descendant in the U.S.
This from the 1880
 John W. FULLER  60      ENG
 Eunice M. FULLER  45      NY
 Charles FULLER  22      NY

J.J.

Offline densavage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 December 05 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I am overwhelmed by the kind responses unfortunately at this time I cannot access all my records, a case of hitting a wrong key somewhere along the track, they are still there but the "find" does not just do that, will have to call in the younger generations for the fix!
As regards the Rudds I do not have all the names that were quoted ie 6 females and 2 males as some of the children must have died as babies prior to leaving for Canada I do have  Edward 1815, William 1820, John 1824 and Ann 1881. Will be back.
A prosperous and happy new year to all and thank you.
Piercy Nfk .Buck Nfk. Vince Nfk. Meachen Nfk. Fuller Nfk. Green Swannington Nfk. Seaman Yaxham Nfk  Savage Sur/ Ham. Homan Cor/Ham. Higgins Gal/Ham. Knott  Thame Oxf. Maynard Great Haseley Oxf. Lewis Henley in Arden War.Woodhams Ken/Sus.Sargent Hastings. Waters Hastings.Evernden Hastings. Savery Hastings,
Colgan Gal. Keenan  Millisle & Belfast. Kane Dow. Mcaleese Belfast. Fitzpatrick Kik.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk