Author Topic: Owen/Owens family 1841 census  (Read 7540 times)

Offline baracws

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Owen/Owens family 1841 census
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 20 September 08 09:29 BST (UK) »
Cherry,

It's looking very likely that they are a part of my family tree.
Also found that Edward Owen married Elizabeth Rees in 1833 explaining the link with the Rees family as shown in the 1841 census.
I need to check the parish records for Margaret Owen's death between 1826 and 1833.

Regards, Baracws

Offline cherryg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 28 September 08 01:10 BST (UK) »
My Owens family also has a connection with the Rees family; Edward Owens b. 1776 is said to be the son of Elizabeth Rees and John Owens. I haven't found any solid confirming evidence yet, but a Joseph Rees was witness at Edward's wedding in 1799 so it's quite likely to be true. I think it's very likely that there is a link between our two families, but it may take a while before it emerges from the general tangle of Owens in the area!
Best wishes,
Cherry

Offline Aaron Clancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Owen/Owens family 1851 census
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 03:29 GMT (UK) »
I believe from endless researching that this may be our link to my mothers maternal lineage. Mariah who was granddaughter of Edward & Mariah Owens in 1851 Census living in Abbeycwmhir is mentioned as born in Rhayader in 1861 and Abbeycwmtear, Radnorshire in 1871 Census of Aberdare, Glamorganshire. She is ancestor to many people and married Levi Doel in Aberdare. On her daughter Mary's birth cert is says her maiden name was Owens but to this day we still can't find her in the birth register. Her mother it seems was living with parents in 1841 Census as Mariah and by 1851 is perhaps as Servant (as Mary Owens) for Richard & Mary Ann Davis' family in Abbeycwmhir.

FYI: I have just found out a Edward Owens sold their property in 1851 from the    Powys Archives. See
"http://calmview.powys.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=RDBRA%2f1862%2f60&pos=172"
Also see maps of this area from 1857 of Gollon, Abbeycwmhir at:
"http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/ff1a8d90-2185-43cb-833b-f2bb5b07e90b"

Offline Aaron Clancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 February 18 23:35 GMT (UK) »
From another post regarding Edward Owens' service:
"Hi again, had somewhat of a breakthrough and confirmation to my last post. I was thrown off at first as I kept coming across Edward Owens of Llanbister (5km NE of Abbeycwmhir), especially in the National Archives. However apparently according to Powys archives:
"In the wake of the Restoration, too, he built a small church in 1680, closer to the abbey ruin; this was constituted a chapelry to Llanbister, and continued as such perhaps into the 19th century. The Tithe Survey of 1839 considered Abbeycwmhir to be a part of Llanbister parish,
but Samuel Lewis several years earlier had classed it as a parish in its own right."
So on ancestry I first found the Chelsea Pensioner records confirming his birth date, then in Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service also confirming these details.
Therefor, he must have served in the 81st Foot Regiment; 3rd Garrison Battalion around 25 Jul 1806 and discharged at age 40 in 1815. I do believe this could be the missing piece of the puzzle that could open up this Owens family ancestry.
An Edwardus Owens Baptised 29 May 1776 in St Davids/St Harmon, Radnorshire (also near Abbeycwmhir)."

Offline Llanbister

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 June 23 17:45 BST (UK) »
Hi all, my late father John Owen did some research on our family tree a few years ago.. He managed to trace our family tree back to John Owens (b 1735) of Llanbister who married Elizabeth Jones of Carmarthen. They had 4 children John (b 1759), Mary (b 1762), Elizabeth (b 1765) and Jane (b 1768). John Owens (b 1759) married Mary (of Abbey Chapel / Abbey Cwmhir?) they had a son Edward Owens (1774 - 1854 - Chelsea Pensioner) who married Mariah (b 1780), they had a daughter Elizabeth Owens (b 1812) who had 3 children Mariah Owens (b 1828), Joshiah Owens (b 1841) and Edward Owens (1844 - 1930).  Edward Owen (1844 - 1930) married Harriet Bowen @ Goytre in 1868 and had 8 children - one, Albert being my Great, Great, Grandfather.