Author Topic: DYNES family in Armagh in 18thC  (Read 12466 times)

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: DYNES family in Armagh in 18thC
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 September 07 00:26 BST (UK) »
I believe it was the same as being god-parents, so assume the families were friends or relatives.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 September 07 10:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Scotmum,
And just to say that a member of the current living DYNES family very kindly sent me about 6 female DYNES births from his tree for the 18thC, but unfortunately none of them would quite fit a woman with that family name marrying my ancestor James KERSHAW in the late 1740's/1750.
I feel I'm getting closer, though!
keith
p.s. Though I've just had another look at the e-mail I mentioned above, and they are all baptisms, not births.  Not unheard of someone being baptised shortly before being married, I suppose...

Offline Jenfm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 May 15 05:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry so much time has passed since the last post, I hope someone can use this info.. My branch of the tree are Australian and come from gr gr grandparents.
John Dynes b 1835 Glencoe, married 1855 in Tartaraghan, Sarah Mackle b 1838 Derrykerb. Her Parents Anna Maria Hendron and Joseph Mackle. John Dynes parents (Alex Dynes and Emily Sullivan) these 2 people are not yet proven.
Cheers,
Jen

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 May 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Jen,
And welcome to Rootschat!  Time does pass, doesn't it - I'm amazed to work out that it's nearly 8 years ago that this thread was last active.  And thanks very much for your further input into the DYNES family.  There's always someone out there who might be able to use the information you provide.  When was it that your branch of the family came to Australia?
Keith

Offline Jenfm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 06:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith, my lot arrived in Aus in 1856. 5 or 6 descendants from that original couple fought in the 1st world war, one was awarded the military medal a month before passing away, probably from the influenza. His brother was MIA then declared KIA.
This year being the 100 year anniversary I have been able to get lots of fresh information.
I'm working from memory at present as I'm away from my computer for a few days. I'll post more info later in the week.
Cheers,
Jen

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Jen,
How sad, what a sacrifice…
Where exactly is Tartaraghan?  Would love to hear more info on your branch of this family.
Keith