Author Topic: William Baikie Scarth  (Read 16781 times)

Offline spittalhill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Baikie Scarth
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:24 BST (UK) »
Azurewood,
Is Robert Scarth, the 19th C Kirkwall solicitor, who was factor of the Traill Estates on Rousay, when the infamous Rousay Clearances took place, related to this family?

Offline HevsiH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:55 BST (UK) »
Azurewood,
Is Robert Scarth, the 19th C Kirkwall solicitor, who was factor of the Traill Estates on Rousay, when the infamous Rousay Clearances took place, related to this family?

Spittalhall, the Robert Scarth you're speaking of is my Great Great Grandfather. 

Robert wasn't a solicitor; he was an agent of the Union Bank, a factor and a landowner. 

Robert was the factor for the Laing family and also the Traills of Woodwick between 1852 and 1873.  I understood that the main clearances on Rousay were in the 1820s (before Robert was factor) and again later under General Burroughs after Robert had retired. 

I have not managed to link William Baikie Scarth's ancestor into the Binscarth Scarths but given that Orkney is relatively small it is probable that he does link in somewhere.

Offline scarfie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 June 11 09:22 BST (UK) »
hi ,azurewood I would be eternally grateful if you could send me photo copies of the photo you have of William Baikie Scarth,he is my,great ,great great grandfather I would re emberse any costs incurred.

Offline AndrewTurvey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
Azurewood,

Spittalhall, the Robert Scarth you're speaking of is my Great Great Grandfather. 

Robert wasn't a solicitor; he was an agent of the Union Bank, a factor and a landowner. 

Robert was the factor for the Laing family and also the Traills of Woodwick between 1852 and 1873.  I understood that the main clearances on Rousay were in the 1820s (before Robert was factor) and again later under General Burroughs after Robert had retired. 

I have not managed to link William Baikie Scarth's ancestor into the Binscarth Scarths but given that Orkney is relatively small it is probable that he does link in somewhere.

Hi Hevsih,

This entry on rootsweb suggests that your Robert Scarth was indeed responsible for the Rousay clearances:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=kosmoid&id=I11239

Regards,