Author Topic: Auckland House Gilwern  (Read 16373 times)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Auckland House Gilwern
« on: Tuesday 03 January 06 23:36 GMT (UK) »
This I believe was the old warehouse for bailys Iron however I remember visiting relatives there but I cant remember there names even any one help also the firs in Gilwernmy mum lived there as a little girl my name was Maise Williams Her father was Reg he was a commercial traveler but I cant track any relatives down Thanks

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Auckland House Gilwern
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 January 06 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jennyrob

Welcome to Rootschat!

I am not familiar with Gilwern, but hopefully someone will be able to help you.

Can you give a few more details to improve your chances, please?

What dates do you know of for your grandfather?  Is your mum still alive and can she or another older relative provide any more clues?  It is always best to ask as many questions as possible of older relatives.

Let us know of anything else you find out and Good Luck!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Andreamotte

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 06 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am from Gilwern my parents still live there. The firs is situated on the Abergavenny Road, Gilwern. My father was friendly with a Williams who lived at the Firs, they worked together at Coopers Filters in Abergavenny.
Auckland House, which is of good size, is situated on the banks of the Pontypool-Brecon canal in Gilwern. My grand parents used to rent a cottage next to the house. It is now owned by the Davies family I hope this is of some help, i may be able to find out more.
regards
Andrea
Brown,Fry,James,Lewis,Marshall,Phillips,Pincott,Rideout,Williams,Zawislak,Zavislock,Zavishlock,Woodsworth.

Offline cjtp56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I came accross this site by chance yesterday & would like to add my 10 cents worth to the Auckland House story.
My Father John was born in Auckland House in Aug 1914, his Mother's maiden name was, I think, Williams. His father's surname was Pickering but I believe the ownership of the house rested with the Williams family. The family left Wales sometime in the early '20's & emigrated to Cleveland Ohio but subsequently returned in the late 30's. My Father joined the RAF.
There must have been a significant number of Williams / Pickerings / Moons / Simmonds living in & around Abergavenny & Crickhowell at the turn of the century as all are name iny family "group".

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi ajpt56 - welcome to Rootschat!  ;)

It looks as though several of you have quite a bit of information between you to assist with the original query here - let's hope jennyrob comes back to see the replies!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 April 07 13:17 BST (UK) »
Sorry I lost the web site .
Now added it to favorites so i dont loose it again.
 I used to visit Auckland house 50 years ago and I cant remember who it was to see .I think it was a relative .
My mother lived in the Firs Gilwern Road with her 4 sisters and brother Denis Their Father and Mother were Reg Williams  and Gladys
I just found out that Gladys nee Davies was born at the Forge Hammer Gilwern
 Any info please and thanks for prevoius info

Offline ArizonaPickering

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 February 09 05:27 GMT (UK) »
I live in Scottsdale,Arizona, U.S. now, but it is my understanding that my mother Joyce Pickering was born at Auckland House in 1919. My brother and I have stopped by the house 2 times in the last decade or so to see the property, but we were unable to enter as no one was home either time. My mother married Frank Fletcher and moved to Cleveland, Ohio, U.S. where I was born and raised....cjtp56...are you Harry's son Chris?

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 February 09 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Arizona Pickering - welcome to Rootschat!

Wonderful that you might have a connection here BUT please don't post personal details on Rootschat.  Remember that the details you post are also the questions asked by banks for security purposes etc!

Instead, you can use the secure Personal Message system on Rootschat to exchange such information.

You might have to post again to activate the system - just reply here a couple of times and it should work!  I hope you get some replies - and then stick around and see what else we have to offer.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline jennyrob

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 09 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I  cant remember much abot it I was born in the fifties and was taken there as a very small child I cant even remember much about the building or the people I just seemed a very large house My grandmother and grandfather Williams brought their 6 children up in the Firs Gilwern   The house must have left an impression on me