Author Topic: census look-ups for the FLEMING family Bathgate  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Gillian Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
census look-ups for the FLEMING family Bathgate
« on: Wednesday 04 January 06 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if some kind person could please look up my gt.gt.gt.grandfather Alexander Fleming in the 1841 census and the 1851 census. I think he was a weaver and he would have been 80 years old in 1851.
I would be particularly interested in other members of the household.
With thanks
Jill
Geddes,Key,Welch,Prior,Gover,Palmer,Crook,Wareham,Bennett,Bullard,Fleming,Christie,Smith,Armstrong,Bragg,Lloyd,Robinson,Masters,Pankhurst,Abraham,Hibbs,Selby

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Kit 52

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: census look-ups for the FLEMING family Bathgate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 06 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jill,

I don't have the census info. you require, but I wonder if your Alexander is the same as mine ? He was born on 30th Nov., 1772 in Bathgate. He married Janet Neilson about 1800. Their children were, James and Andrew, there are probably more, I haven't looked as I was interested in James who is my g-g-grandad. Do contact me if we have a connection. I have lots of Fleming certificates to share.

Regards
Kit

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Gillian Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 06 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Dear Kit I think mine may be a different Alexander Fleming although possibly related .I have his death certificate which as you know list a great deal of information including the names of his wife - Isabella Leslie and parents -James and Marion. (he does have a son born 1801)
He was also born in Torpichen a little village near Bathgate.
 There seems to be a lot of Flemings in that area.
Goodluck with the family history hunt - it certainly is compulsive !!
Jill
Geddes,Key,Welch,Prior,Gover,Palmer,Crook,Wareham,Bennett,Bullard,Fleming,Christie,Smith,Armstrong,Bragg,Lloyd,Robinson,Masters,Pankhurst,Abraham,Hibbs,Selby

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jill
          There is an Alexander Fleming age 65 Cotton Hand Loom Weaver Wife Isabella 55 children Elizabeth 25 Mary 20 Jane 15 Alexander 11 James 9 all born in West Lothian on the FREECEN site

The reference is
SCT1841/662  Folio 0 Page 1
High Street

If the same rules applied to the 1841 Scottish Census as the English yhen ages were rounded down to the nearest 5years which means Alexander could be anything between 65 and 69 close to the age you are looking for.

Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian
BATHGATE ,HAIG -East Lothian
STAINES Henham Essex-Edinburgh
ARMSTRONG,Northumberland
FEENEY,Lanarkshire Northumberland Co Durham
DONNISON Northumberland, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Jones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Grant for your look up.
This is proving to be another puzzle.I'm almost certain that this is the right Alexander Fleming married to an Isabella and a cotton weaver as this ties in with the info on his death cert ificate in1855. However none of the children seem to match although these could in fact all be grandchildren looking at their ages. Thanks anyway.
Jill

Offline jean jeanie

• RootsChat Member
  • Stewart Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is Alexander in 1851 with a grandson

Address High Street Bathgate West Lothian
Book 1 Sch 20

Alexander Fleming age 80 widower, head, born Gartravie. Occupation Retired Hand loom Weaver

Alexander Fleming age 21, unmarried, grandson, born Bathgate.Occupation Carter (Coals)

Regards
Jean

Census transcription image removed by copyright_editor