Author Topic: Samuel and Jane CROGGON  (Read 8104 times)

Offline peter croggon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel and Jane CROGGON
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 August 10 15:23 BST (UK) »
All the Croggons originally came from Cornwall, the first recorded (we think) in about 1427 at Veryan then later at Tregony, Grampound and Creed.  From memory, the link is John Croggon born in Grampound in 1780. who died as a shipwright in Portsmouth in 1860. All the Croggons in London descend from him, but the Croggons from Croggon & Co who were in the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the Croggons who took over Coade stone after the Coades died and was their relative, are another branch of the family, but they ALL came originally from Cornwall. In the mid 1970's I collaborated with John Croggon of the Tannery at Grampound regarding the family tree. He and others had produce a tree up to then for the Cornish branch and I (starting from scratch) complied one for the rest. The John Croggon referred to above was the missing link. It is of course now much easier for anyone to have a go for themselves and find out a lot. My tree is hand written on eight sheets of foolscap. I do not remember the Samuel and Jane you mention but I am sure they will be in the tree.

Moderator Comment: Personal details removed as per RootsChat Policy. Please use our secure PM system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

Offline richardehope

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 January 12 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know anything about the Croggon company operating from Fairfield Road Bow. They were an ironwroks that dealt in iron church buildings.  My great greta grandfather Charles Bsrnes a blacksmith worked there and later became a manager around 1905

Offline spaceman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 March 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in John CROGGON who is shown as grandson of Thomasin CROWLE in her Will of 11 November 1819; she was buried in St Gluvias 9 August 1820.

Thomasin was Thomasin JORDAN a widow when she married James CROWLE (a widower) in 1797. She was about 50 when she married James and as far as I know there were no children from this marriage.

The will also mentioned a son John JORDAN and a daughter Ann DUNSTAN of Thomasin who were the executors of the Will.

I have not been able to ascertain any information about Thomasin's first marriage or her maiden name. James CROWLE first marriage was to Jane HOCKING in Creed on 7 June 1756.

David

Offline Jeremy croggon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 03:57 BST (UK) »
My name is Jeremy Croggon born in Grampound Cornwall. While I live in Georgia I have two brothers still living there. The Family operated a Tannery from 1712 until 2005. The site has now been developed for upscale housing . My brother John is the Family Historian .I believe the first Croggon to emigrate to America was Thomas Croggon he went Baltimore,shortly after Grampound was disenfranchised for being a "Rotten Borough", he was involved in selling votes and left in a hurry.
Let me know if any of this is of interest.
Jeremy 

Offline Lizziefish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 November 17 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jeremy

my name is Liz Fisher and I am Chair of the Heritage Project Management Group in Grampound. I have just been talking with Bill and John about the restoration of the old Limes site at the very bottom of the Tannery. We are about to put in a Heritage Lottery Bid to try and restore and tidy up the site, to do an in depth exercise on the Croggon Archive (all the papers went to the Cornwall Record Office but I guess you know that) and an oral history if we can get people to talk about their time at the Tannery.
If you would like to know more about we are doing let me know.
Regards
Liz

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 November 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
In my tree I have John Rawson Croggon "of the tannery" who I think was b. circa 1905 and whose son m. a Harrison -- those two probably still alive so I'm not giving their names or dates here.
Should we be comparing notes?
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds