Author Topic: Simpson/Aitken - Tamlaght?  (Read 5943 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Simpson/Aitken - Tamlaght?
« on: Thursday 05 January 06 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on the marriage and parents of 

Robert Simpson and Maria Aitken married 14 Nov 1867 in Ireland. This info comes from the birth certificate of a child born later in Scotland.

The only clue to their origins in Ireland comes from an extracted entry on the IGI which has the following entry: John Simpson, 27 Sep 1868, Tamlaght By Moneymore, Londonderry, son of a Robert Simpson and Maria (no surname shown), plus a couple of other children, also born in Tamlaght to a Robert Simpson and Maria (no name). The names and ages of the children tie up with those on the 1881 census so I think it is safe to assume that this is the same family and they came from Tamlaght By Moneymore (lovely name!).

Robert's parents were John Simpson and Elizabeth Boyle. Maria's parents were Matilda Morris (possibly Harris) and John Aitken. Matilda Morris married twice, second husband was a Wilkinson.

Any help appreciated,

thanks,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline rhubarb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson/Aitken - Tamlaght?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 January 06 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsey

I have found this,

SIMPSON    ROBERT    EKIN    MARIA    1867   , which seems to be the same person! Aitkin Ekin, and said with a northern Irish accent it sounds the same!!

I looked up Maria EKIN and found this

EKIN    MARIA    1827 (birth) This seems a bit old but .......?

when I checked on Marriages, this came up,

RAMSAY    GEORGE    EKIN    MARIA    1848       
      SIMPSON    ROBERT    EKIN    MARIA    1867

so a possibility she was married twice??

Have you got the marriage certificate for Robert and Maria?
this would give an approximate year of birth, you could send off for birth certificate then, giving her fathers name and address at the time of Marriage, and parish church?

GRONI website will search a 2 years either side of a date?  and they do it online,

coincidently, My last cert, was also a Robert and Maria!! seems a very popular combination,

hope this helps

Rhubarb[color=
warner/denney/spendlove/gyfor/gyford/elsey/kirk/magee/mcgee/
Hunter/morrison

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 January 06 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rhubarb,

It certainly looks like the same person, according to Maria's death cert, she was 53 when she died in Glasgow so I don't think the first one was her, but the marriage looks good.

I don't have the marriage cert and I don't know GRONI but I am off to search now.

thank you very much, my first real lead!

Lindsay

STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 September 06 11:18 BST (UK) »
Just updating my original post ... for some reason I had assumed that Maria Aitken's mother, Matilda had died in Ireland, what an idiot!! Accidentally, yes not even on purpose, I clicked on neighbours on the 1881 and there she was in Glasgow living next door to Maria!

From her death certificate it seems her maiden name was Norris and she had several children from her second marriage to John Wilkinson, all born in Tamlaght by Moneymore according to the IGI, so that seems to be confirmed as 'place of origin'.  Her father was Robert Norris and her mother Anne Jane McOmish(?? difficult to read) and again the IGI shows children born to Robert and Anne Jane in Tamlaght.

Do these new names mean anything to anyone??

thanks,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline annemac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 November 07 14:15 GMT (UK) »
hi lindsay siam, we have a connection ,my grandmother was rachel maharey, daughter of sarah wilkinson,who in turn was the daughter of martha norris/ aitken who came from tamlaght moneymore,they lived in the port dundas/cowcaddens area  great aunts maria aitken and martha norris, great uncles james wilkinson maharey anddavid simpson maharey

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 November 07 20:51 GMT (UK) »
In spite of what's listed on IGI there's no such place as 'Tamlaght by Moneymore'.
There are 4 townlands in Co. Derry as well as a parish called Tamlaght (means 'the plaque monument'), so Tamlaght could refer to a townland or a parish. The Tamlaght townland in Tamlaght parish is nearest Moneymore (248 acres 1 rod 21 perches)- there is a parish church there.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 07 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne, I have sent you my email address by PM, great to hear from you.

Thank you aghadowey, would you know how I can access the parish records for the church in Tamlaght, Tamlaght parish if they still exist of course?

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline DUBLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on the marriage and parents of 

Robert Simpson and Maria Aitken married 14 Nov 1867 in Ireland. This info comes from the birth certificate of a child born later in Scotland.

The only clue to their origins in Ireland comes from an extracted entry on the IGI which has the following entry: John Simpson, 27 Sep 1868, Tamlaght By Moneymore, Londonderry, son of a Robert Simpson and Maria (no surname shown), plus a couple of other children, also born in Tamlaght to a Robert Simpson and Maria (no name). The names and ages of the children tie up with those on the 1881 census so I think it is safe to assume that this is the same family and they came from Tamlaght By Moneymore (lovely name!).

Robert's parents were John Simpson and Elizabeth Boyle. Maria's parents were Matilda Morris (possibly Harris) and John Aitken. Matilda Morris married twice, second husband was a Wilkinson.

Any help appreciated,

thanks,

Lindsay

Hello Anne, I have sent you my email address by PM, great to hear from you.

Thank you aghadowey, would you know how I can access the parish records for the church in Tamlaght, Tamlaght parish if they still exist of course?

regards,

Lindsay

Offline DUBLIN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
HELLO LINDSEY MY GRAN WAS MARTHA SIMPSON,  MARIA WAS HER GRAN SHE DIED IN 1900 FOUND IN FOURTH & CLYDE CANAL SIMPSONS STILL HAVE LOTS OF FAMILY IN GLSGOW AND ELSEWARE. MY MOTHER WAS A SIMPSON. YOURS KENNY