Author Topic: Neilson family in Paisley  (Read 10653 times)

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Neilson family in Paisley
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »

"I have pretty much all of the Neilson certificate, and also photos of the graves also as my mother in law is buried with them (her parents), also Duncan Neilson and Mary McPhee are buried opposite them."

I would love the photos of the graves!

"Janet McPhail and Donald McPhee were not married. Janet was in the poorhouse in Paisley when the twins were born, and I got a copy of the notes from the Poor house years ago. From memory, the notes state that he hailed from Invernesshire..."

The 1871 census I have for Janet McPhail notes that she's from Inverness, so that fits

"I have collected a fair bit of information on Murray Stewart also, his family came from Kirkden in Forfar."

I have a bit on Murray Stewart also, but would love to cross reference with what you have
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 December 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
would love copies of the graves for Duncan Neilson & Mary McPhee if you're able to find them! As well, also any info on Janet McPhail and Donald McPhee!

8)
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 December 16 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Was wondering if anyone has found Donald McPhee in any records? I think I may have found in some census records, as he is the only railway worker from Inverness with that name.  However, Mary McPhee/Duncan Neilson marriage record indicates he's deceased, but the Donald I found, as I've traced him forward, died well after the date of their marriage.

I was also wondering if anyone has been able to trace the birth of Duncan Sr (b. abt. 1833) and/or has any information on his parents Thomas Neilson and Christina McMillan?  I can't find anything on this Duncan prior to his marriage record to Ann Baillie in 1857 (the address there looks like 13 Canal street, but it could be 15).

However...I did find something interesting on Ancestry today, searching for Thomas as a weaver (the record for Duncan's marriage listed him as a harness weaver). I did not find him as a harness weaver, but did find a Thomas Neilson who was a weaver, living in Paisley in 1851.  His wife was listed as Mary (not Christina). This record was indexed on ancestry (the SP record that I've downloaded is unreadable) with the following children:  Dullen (age 20), Lyall (18), Mary (15) and Elisabeth (12).  Their address is: 15 CANAL STREET.  So, I think this could be them!

Hoping anyone has information that could potentially confirm this.

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 January 17 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a couple of 'artefacts' created in 1902 by some Neilsons from Paisley - Thomas and D.H. Neilson. I have no other information about these Neilsons, except that they were friends of my grandmother, Elizabeth Kerr. If the names/initials sound familiar, I'm happy to share their creations with you.
Bit of a shot in the dark, but you never know.

Eddie

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 January 17 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eidde,

I don't recognize a D.H. Neilson though I do have several Duncan's, none of them had middle names or initials as far as I know.  There is a Thomas Neilson that I can't pin down past 1851 (he would have been born around 1807 as he was 44 on the census.  His wife was listed as Mary).  His son Duncan (b. Abt. 1833; though I can't find a birth record even though he supposedly was born in Paisley) married in 1857 and he appears to be still alive here, although his mother is listed as Christina and is listed as deceased (she is also listed as his mother on his death record).  It's possible that Mary is a second wife.

The other Thomas I have in my tree is born in 1888.  He is the son of William Neilson (b. 1859) who is the son of the Duncan above.  William married Grace McCormick as far as I can tell.  Any chance that Thomas fits?

Offline Eidde

• RootsChat Member
  • (no relation)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 January 17 04:28 GMT (UK) »
What I have is a copy of an album in which my grandmother's friends and relatives drew pictures and wrote poems and dedications. The Neilsons contributed two poems with some sketches and I suspect, from the tone of them, that they were about her own age. So, I think I have identified them from the censuses as:
Thomas Neilson b.1876, who became a minister in the United Free Church;
Duncan H Neilson, b. 1886, who was a Divinity student in 1911.
Their father, Thomas, was a joiner, married to Janet.
There was also a sister, Barbara H, a school teacher, b. 1878.

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 January 17 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.  I'll have to look more closely.  It could fit. Or could just be different families...

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gill,

Hoping you pop back on here (I've also sent you a PM).  My cousin is in Port Glasgow area now doing some family history searching and meeting with extended family.  Would love to see the cemetery where Duncan Neilson and Mary McPhee are buried.  Could you pass along the name?

thanks
Jennifer

Offline jayaren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 September 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there

just seen this regarding John Neilson and Margaret Spence married in 1929 - these might be my grandparents on my dad's side. They lived between Paisley and Renfrew up until my grandfathers death in 1972

if it is John Reid Neilson married to Margaret Spence (who should have Irish family - MacPherson - as my dad used to visit them) we could be onto something.

I hope that helps
another John Neilson