Author Topic: Neilson family in Paisley  (Read 10621 times)

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Neilson family in Paisley
« Reply #18 on: Monday 24 September 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
Unfortunately there isn’t a connection.

John Neilson didn’t have a middle name. I've got his original birth/marriage/death certs, as well as  all the original insurance policy documents he had over the years, and none give a middle name.

They lived all their married life in Port Glasgow. Margaret Spence died in 1946, and her husband, John Neilson died in 1957, so its not possible that this couple would have been your grandparents, as you mention your grandfather died in 1972.

Gillian
Anderson in Ireland - Renfrewshire
Skene / Skean/ Skeen in Midlothian
Dow in Stirling, midlothian, Renfrewshire
McIlmoil / McIlmoyle in Antrim, Renfrewshire
McGaffigan / McGavigan, McNulty, Murphy Kennedy Hogg and Gamble in Londonderry
Paterson / Patterson, Eaglesham / Eaglesome in Ayrshire
MacPherson , MacLeod, Gillies in Sleat, Invernesshire
Cornfoot, Hogg, Grubb, Ramsay, Auchterlonie in Fife
Neilson, OHara, Baillie in Paisley

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
I was also wondering if anyone has been able to trace the birth of Duncan Sr (b. abt. 1833) and/or has any information on his parents Thomas Neilson and Christina McMillan?  I can't find anything on this Duncan prior to his marriage record to Ann Baillie in 1857 (the address there looks like 13 Canal street, but it could be 15).

However...I did find something interesting on Ancestry today, Thomas Neilson who was a weaver, living in Paisley in 1851.  His wife was listed as Mary (not Christina). This record was indexed on ancestry (the SP record that I've downloaded is unreadable) with the following children:  Dullen (age 20), Lyall (18), Mary (15) and Elisabeth (12).  Their address is: 15 CANAL STREET.  So, I think this could be them!

I don't think ? this is the family as the index on SP has them listed as;

Thomas 43
Margaret 40
Hellen 20
Lyall 18
Margaret 15
Elizabeth 12

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
wonderful to hear from you!  I don't have a middle name for the John Neilson in my tree.  Though that  doesn't always mean anything.  I have his birth and marriage certificates with no middle name listed.  However, I could  find only 1 marriage between a John Neilson and a Margaret Spence in Scotland from 1915 to 1940.  So I think there's a good chance its the same couple.  the John in my tree was born 13 July 1896.  His parents were Duncan Neilson & Mary McPhee.  regardless would love to exchange more details :)
will PM you my email addres

best,
Jen
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa
Neilson in Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland
Baillie in Peebles, Paisley, Edinburgh Scotland
Anderson in Angus/Forfarshire & Kincardineshire Scotland
Forbes in Kirkden Forfarshire & Kincardineshire, Scotland
Patterson/Paterson in Carmyllie & Kirkden, Forfarshire Scotland
Calhoun in Tyrone, Ireland & Jersey City, New Jersey
Mitchard in Liverpool England & New Jersey

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Rosinish,

I'm confused. What is it you don't think?

Thomas Neilson (b.1804) was married twice. First wife was  Christina McNab, second wife was Mary Stewart

Offline gill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

John said that John Neilson and Margaret Spence were his grandparents on his dads side, and that they lived between Paisley and Renfrew up until his grandfathers death in 1972.

That's not possible. John and Margaret lived all their married life in Port Glasgow. Margaret Spence died in 1946, and her husband, John Neilson died in 1957. They were my hubbys grandparents.
Their son John died in infancy in 1933. Their only other son, Billy, has one son himself, not called John though.

Hope you are keeping well Jen.
Gillian

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »
Rosinish,

I'm confused. What is it you don't think?

Thomas Neilson (b.1804) was married twice. First wife was  Christina McNab, second wife was Mary Stewart

I thought you were thinking 'Dullen (age 20)' on the 1851 census was Duncan rather than Hellen?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 September 18 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

John said that John Neilson and Margaret Spence were his grandparents on his dads side, and that they lived between Paisley and Renfrew up until his grandfathers death in 1972.

That's not possible. John and Margaret lived all their married life in Port Glasgow. Margaret Spence died in 1946, and her husband, John Neilson died in 1957. They were my hubbys grandparents.
Their son John died in infancy in 1933. Their only other son, Billy, has one son himself, not called John though.

Hi Gill...hope you are well too!  I agree.  definitely not the same couple!  I do find some John Reid Neilson's, but none married to a Spence, though there is a John Neilson married to a Annabella Spence in 1924 in St. Andrew (Edinburgh) --(this is the only other Neilson/Spence marriage between 1900 and 2007!).  so...there must be some mix-up with names.  would love to pin down John's grandparents and see if they are part of the extended tree somehow though

Hope you are keeping well Jen.
Gillian
Stewart in Kirkden, Paisley, Port Glasgow Scotland; Londonderry, Ireland; South Africa

Offline jen5525

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
I was also wondering if anyone has been able to trace the birth of Duncan Sr (b. abt. 1833) and/or has any information on his parents Thomas Neilson and Christina McMillan?  I can't find anything on this Duncan prior to his marriage record to Ann Baillie in 1857 (the address there looks like 13 Canal street, but it could be 15).

However...I did find something interesting on Ancestry today, Thomas Neilson who was a weaver, living in Paisley in 1851.  His wife was listed as Mary (not Christina). This record was indexed on ancestry (the SP record that I've downloaded is unreadable) with the following children:  Dullen (age 20), Lyall (18), Mary (15) and Elisabeth (12).  Their address is: 15 CANAL STREET.  So, I think this could be them!

I don't think ? this is the family as the index on SP has them listed as;

Thomas 43
Margaret 40
Hellen 20
Lyall 18
Margaret 15
Elizabeth 12

Annie

Hi Annie,
I've purchased that census record from SP and the indexing is definitely incorrect.  It was barely legible so I requested a clearer copy.  It is Mary not Margaret, and it is clearly a name starting with a "D" not "H" and that entry is listed as a son, so it is not Helen.  I have found marriage between Thomas and Mary Stewart (1844), and traced Mary backward to 1841 census where she is listed as a winder, living on Canal Street with 3 daughters.

Mary Stewart
Isbell Rae
Maryan Rae
Elisabeth Rae

I then tried to trace the daughters' marriages, finding Isabella Rae marrying in 1855 to John Hathorn/Hawthorne.  Mother is Mary Rae (M.S. Stewart), living at 15 Canal street, witnessed by Duncan Neilson & Mary Neilson (her step-brother and sister in law). 

Happy to share these records with you if you'd like.  Interested in your connection to the family :)

Jen

Offline jayaren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian, Jen

I think you are right - definitely not the same couple - I had a chat with my Aunt - (on my mum's side) who has a better memory for this than I have.

John Reid Neilson (my grandfather) was born in Renfrew 1901 and married Margaret MacPherson some time between the wars. My dad (another John Reid Neilson) was born just before the second world war. Grandfather was one of three Robert, Jean and John - I don't know their parents names unfortunately and Grandmother was from Irish stock.

so I was definitely barking up the wrong tree - but just how many Johns and Margarets could be couples?

thanks to both of you