Author Topic: Seaman tickets PETERHEAD  (Read 2968 times)

Offline dmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Seaman tickets PETERHEAD
« on: Saturday 07 January 06 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I have found a Seaman ticket number (195141) for one of my ancestors a James Murrison born 1826 in Pitsligo working out of Peterhead.  Can anyone tell me what this ticket is, where I could view the entry and also whether it would hold any information regarding him?

Many thanks

Offline wildgoose

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman tickets PETERHEAD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 06 19:31 GMT (UK) »
I don't know were you would find it but its well worth trying as it will give a lot of detail about your ancestor.  Below is one for one of mine as an example

Merchant Seaman's Ticket No. 45074 recs. a Robert NICOLL, born on this day 7th June 1821, Dundee in the county of Forfar.
Capacity SEAMAN
Height 5ft 5ins
Hair BROWNISH
Complexion PALE
Marks NONE
Write NO
Went to sea as an APPRENTICE 1st December 1833
Age when ticketed 23?
Royal Navy NO
Foreign Service NO
When unemployed resided DUNDEE
Ticket issued Dundee 6th December 1844.
All information taken from my personal database compiled from original sources - Crown Copyright acknowledge as stated.
Family names:SPINK (WRY), GOODWIN (DBY), PRATT (SCT & WRY), WILDGOOSE (DBY), STRETTON (LEI & DBY), MARTIN(ANS), NICOLL(ANS), McKENNA(TYR), STRAIN(DON), WALLACE(FIF), RAE(STI), PENMAN(STI) & CAPPIE(ELN).

Offline dmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 March 06 09:29 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Wildgoose.  Only last week I managed to locate by ancestors seaman's ticket at Kew and as you so rightly said it gave me the same details as you state in yor message.  Thanks for answering my message.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
Only last week I managed to locate by ancestors seaman's ticket at Kew

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to let me know how you went about finding the ticket? Did you visit Kew in person, or get a researcher to looK for you?
My interest is that I have two ancestors I know very little about other than their names and they were in the Merchant Navy in the early to mid 1800's. Hope you can help.

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline andytingey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi DMerry,

I am new to this forum, and in researching my Murrison line, I came across this interesting post re: James Murrison. Would you be willing to share the details you found for his seaman's ticket ? I hope you are still checking this forum, and get to see this. I would be happy to share the information I have accumulated about him so far. Many thanks. Andy

Offline dmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 March 18 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Yes I still am doing my research and James Murrison is proving to be a mystery.  What James Murrison are you trying to trace because there are a few in this area.  ie what is his date of birth, who did he marry and we can see if there is a connection.

If we match by all means I am happy to share any information I have.

Regards

Debbie

Offline andytingey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 March 18 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the swift reply. My James Murrison is: (b 1824/26, d 1894) married (6th Feb 1848 Peterhead) Jessie (Janet) Gray (b 1820/22, d 1903). I have not yet found him in the 1851, 61, 71, nor 81 census, but in 1891 he lived in Leyton, Essex, with his son (another James). The 1861 census records Jessie and their children, and refers to her as a seaman's wife, so I reckon that explains his absence from the census.

I see from Scotlandspeople.gov.uk that there was another marriage in Peterhead for a James Murrison the following year in 1849 to Margaret Watson.

Furthermore in 1841 according to Scotlandspeople in Peterhead there was one James Murrison (15) and one James Morrison (15). I also note births for the former in Peterhead, and a match for the latter in Pitsligo (which I see on your original post). So, perhaps he changed his name to Murrison or maybe it was originally a typo. I also saw a reference to him dying at sea in the 1860's.

If you have anything to help further identify each James, then that would be useful. Happy to take this offline, and progress via email.

rgds,
andy

Offline dmerry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy

Thank you for your reply.  We have been researching the Murrison family for years so have quite a blanket of information and you are right Morrison, Murrison doesnt make it easy.

Our is the James Murrison  who marries Margaret Watson and we can not find either of their baptisms.  However for Margaret with other members of the family giving us clues, we have been able to trace her parents and carry on back.  Our James Murrison is a seaman too,  we are wondering whether he died at sea hence we can not find his death.

Here is our email address (*)

In the meantime we will go through our info and when we have your email address will get back to you to see if we can help.

Kind regards

Debbie and Graham Merry

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 March 18 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Only last week I managed to locate by ancestors seaman's ticket at Kew

Hi,

Would it be possible for you to let me know how you went about finding the ticket? Did you visit Kew in person, or get a researcher to looK for you?
My interest is that I have two ancestors I know very little about other than their names and they were in the Merchant Navy in the early to mid 1800's. Hope you can help.

Grothenwell

Hi Grothenwell
You may have found what you need by now - however if you have not try here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamen-registers-1835-1857/

Kind regards