Author Topic: Did Your Ancestors Serve in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars?  (Read 6122 times)

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Did Your Ancestors Serve in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars?
« on: Sunday 08 January 06 21:02 GMT (UK) »
The Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust (Registered Charity 106827) have just launched their web site at http://members.lycos.co.uk/oxfyeo/ to promote the activities of the Trust and the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Association.

In addition the web site contains highlights from the history of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars) and details of its antecedent unit, 5 (QOOH) Signal Squadron.

In order to build on its archives, the Trust is keen to hear from anyone whose ancestors served in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars (Oxfordshire Yeomanry), particularly the during the Boer War (40th & 59th Companies of the Imperial Yeomanry), The Great War and WW2.

We would also be keen to hear from anyone wishing to donate artefacts or photographs to the Trust to form part of their mobile museum exhibition.

Please contact the Trust via their web site or my Rootschat account
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust

Offline Corfe

• I am sorry but my emails are not longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Did Your Ancestors Serve in the Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 October 06 18:08 BST (UK) »
I recently requested a search for details of my GG Grandfather, William West, born on 20/06/1861 in Goring, Oxfordshire.  However he moved to Marlow, Buckinghamshire where he married Agnes Stroud and started a family.

I have only two photos of him, both with his family and in uniform.  Apparently, the second photo shows him with a cap badge which we at first thought was the Norfolk Yeomanry - but on closer inspection (and given his address at the ime) appears to be the Oxfordshire Hussars Yeomanry.

I have attached a copy of the photo - please feel free to use in your collection if appropriate.

He is wearing four good conduct stripes which I understand equate to 18 years or so.

I would be very keen to hear of any possible searches that may show him on your records if available, as my search did not turn up anything?

Buckinghamshire - West, Stroud, Phillips, Young
Oxfordshire - West, Stroud
Kidderminster - Gibbs
Battersea - Gibbs
Breconshire - Herbert

Offline pwenlock

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 November 06 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Corfe

I think you may have been on the right track with the first unit.  I dont believe it's a QOOH cap badge as it is missing the scroll under the Royal Cipher (which should be AR)

Regards
Paul
Searching for WENLOCK, DEAKIN, MATTHEWS, CHEW & CHURM.

Researcher of Boer War & WW1 history of the Royal Berkshire Regiment, Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) & Berkshire Yeomanry.

Trustee of the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust http://sites.google.com/site/oxfordshireyeomanry
Soldiers of Oxfordshire http://www.sofo.org.uk
& The Berkshire Yeomanry Museum Trust

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 November 06 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Corfe,
This is a longshot but I have Wests from Goring in my tree.  One that I have not be able to connect in is William John chr 28 July 1861 becasue the OXFHS Parish fiche and cd give no parents - just a dash after his name.
Is he yours, do you think, and if so, do you know who his parents were?  I suspect that he is son of George West and Fanny (Frances Hipsey)
One of my links is with this George's sister, Mary Ann.  Tom West 1868, another of George and Fanny's children moved to Great Marlow, BKM
If you think that there is a connection with my Wests, it might be better to start another topic to avoid confusing the Indexes.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Adrian Beardsley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 December 06 02:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My step Great Granfather, Frank David Organ served in the Queen's Own Oxford Hussars before joining the 4th Australian Light Horse in Australia in 1914. He served at Gallipoli, was involved in the famous charge on horseback at Beersheba and won a Distinguished Conduct Medal for bravery during the taking of Damascus.

He was one of only a handful of men from Australia to be involved in all three events and to survive them.

I have a rather magnificent photo of him in QOOH uniform (attached).
If you would like a much larger high res image (please let me know).

I would appreciate any information about Frank or about where I might locate living relatives. I am particularly interested in whether there any additional  photos or letters still in existence.
Please see my posting under Oxfordshire- Organ Family.

With hope.... and thanks

Adrian Beardsley :-)

Tasmania, Australia.

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:43 BST (UK) »
Corfe

Your old soldier is not in the Yeomanry. The Norfolk Yeo cap badge was a GV cypher but twice the size of that badge.

Your man is wearing the cap badge worn by a number of organisations:  Military Provost Staff Corps (he is probably not one of them), military barrack wardens and possibly recruiters. A version also exists for the National Defence Corps: bearing in mind your man's service (long service chevrons and medal ribbons) it is likely to be the latter.