Author Topic: Link: Starting a One Name Study  (Read 18417 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Link: Starting a One Name Study
« on: Sunday 08 January 06 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gary2017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Starting a One Name Study
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 March 17 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am currently using Custodian 4 and there are many glitches in the database and I feel it is too unstable to use.

Could you recommend any databases for the recording of large amounts of data regarding One-Name studies? Either PC or Mac would be acceptable.

Kind Regards, Gary

Some good tips and ideas for helping you start your one name study:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/sheila.jones/goons.htm

http://www.berksfhs.org.uk/journal/Jun2001/jun2001StartingAOnenameStudy.htm

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Link: Starting a One Name Study
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 September 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
The best help I have had for starting (and continuing) a one name study has been to join the Guild of One Name Studies.    There are an enormous amount of resources available world-wide, including member-only forums (that always have an expert in the area you most need help with) as well as supported surname study websites and DNA surname projects.   You can join without formally registering a one-name study, but the support for registered studies is great too, so well worth doing. The Guild will often have an information stand at local and national family history fairs (particularly in UK) and is putting a lot of effort into developing greater support networks for people living outside the UK, or with non-UK based surnames.   www.one-name.org

If you don't want to register a study or join, you can still search to see if your surname of interest is registered, and if so, contact the study-holder about your family of interest.