Author Topic: Link to Swansea Mariners  (Read 11586 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Link to Swansea Mariners
« on: Monday 09 January 06 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Hear is a great site if your family went to sea ,lists of ships personell Well worth a look and it covers all areas not just Wales found one of mine from I.O.M

http://www.swanseamariners.org.uk

audrey

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Link to Swansea Mariners
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 January 06 11:38 GMT (UK) »
That's a great site Audrey, thank you!

I even think I might have found a sailor of my own!!  One of my Somerset/ Swansea MICHAEL family.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 January 06 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I agree its great  site ,first one I have come across that have low ranks listed not sure this link is in the best place to be of most benefit to every one as the name could be missleading perhaps some one could move it and describe it better

Audrey

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 January 06 19:58 GMT (UK) »

What a great link.

I can't think where is best to move it to Audrey occupational interest  ??? ??? What do you think ?

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 January 06 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Sarah
I just think its great for anyone looking for a sailor found one of mine on there

audrey

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 July 06 10:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah
Please excuse what may be a very silly question!  I have not really started on GG grandfather's line yet but I do know he was a mariner.  Don't know where he sailed from, but his wife and family were in Tenby - this is the silly question - would he have sailed necessarily from Tenby and thus not included in the Swansea listings (he is not on the website which is incidentally fascinating)
Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 March 07 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi sallysmum!
Just doing a stroll thu' here and saw your query from almost a year ago!
Your mariner rellie would probably have sailed from the larger port of Milford Havan or Cardiff,M.H being the closest that would be a Sailor,s choice,they  hate walking!
             Goggy. ;) ;D

Offline sallysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • sally and her mum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 March 07 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Goggy - I'd forgotten I'd posted on this thread!

Sallysmum
Pearson Newcastle/Allendale<br />Sparke Allendale<br />Rees, Davies Pembrokeshire<br />Spence Leyburn<br />Foster Armley to battle creek USA<br />Leeming N Yorkshire<br />Stewart or Stuart Gateshead
Scott Leyburn
Roantree Leyburn

Offline RosserOwen

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 June 12 20:14 BST (UK) »
I have written a monograph on the Gild of Burgesses of Swansea - I'm currently looking for a publisher (I will be approaching the Swansea Institution, among others). Currently it's available to read on my issuu page www.issuu.com/davidrosserowen/docs/on_the_freemen_of_swansea.

There is also on the page a copy of the Freemen's Roll /docs/swansea_freeman_roll

Many of the Freeman Burgesses of Swansea were mariners, and such names as Rosser, Dwerryhouse, Robinson feature - principally Rosser as some 63 percent of the current freemen are Rossers.

My greatgrandmother was the daughter of Captain George Rosser the Harbourmaster.