Author Topic: New York Passenger1831  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Neko

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
New York Passenger1831
« on: Tuesday 10 January 06 00:34 GMT (UK) »
would some kind soul look in the NY passenger lists for this man, variously spelled as Johannes/John Weyrauch/Wyrough of Bavaria.
his naturalization papers say he came to America on May 15, 1831. I cannot find him in Castle Gardens, though I think they haven't finished adding all immigrants to their site.

this may be more information than needed, but here is a transcript of Johannes' naturalization record. we suspect that the town was mis-heard by the clerk, and that it may actually be Schweigen. this town is in Spire, and Scheichen is not even in the area at all. Berzaber is a mis-hearing and/or miss-spelling of Bergzabern. the other possibility is that either Johannes lied about where he was born, or lived from a very early age in Spire as I tried finding them in Spire, both through LDS films and the Spire archives via snail mail, to no avail.
Schweichen is on the Bavaria/Alsace border, and the only town in the area that may be mistaken for Scheichen. it may not be the right town, though.

Pennsylvania\
Centre Co., n/      To the Honorable Thomas Burnside, and his associate Judges of the Court of Common Pleas, to and for said Centre county
The petition of Johan Weyrauch a native of the Kingdom of Bavaria & District of Spier & Canton Berzaber and now an inhabitant at Centre county, in the state of Pennsylvania, respectfully represents That he sailed from the *port of Haver the Grace on the third day of April 1831, and arrived in the city of New York in the United States of America on the 15th day of May ensuing that he was born in the Village of Scheichen and is upwards of fourty seven years of age and that he was born a subject of the Kingdom of Bavaria and owes allegiance to Ludwick the 2d King of Bavaria. that he is now settled in the said county of Centre, state of Pennsylvania, and that it is his Bone fide, his intention to become a citizen of the United States, after having complied with the acts of Congress, in such case made and provided.
Your petitioner therefore prays this honorable Court to permit, this his declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States, to be filed on record in the said Court, he the said Johan Weyrauch renouncing all allegiance to any foreign prince and Potentate whatsoever particularly to Ludwick 2d King of Bavaria.
Sworn and subscribed in   )
open Court this 30 day of >
August 1832                     )

James Gilliland Proth.                                                                               Johannes Weijr__ch (or Weyr__ch with an oomlat)

the original can be found here;
http://county.centreconnect.org/hrip/natrecs/default.asp
well, almost. click on this link and then on John Weyrauch, if it shows on the page. it opens up a window as a jpeg, I believe. right now I can't access it, though. my own computer and/or program glitch, nothing wrong with the download.

I assume this was filed in Bellefonte, as that is where Johannes was when Jacob was born in 1832.

thank you for your help

Airey Aitken Atkinson Alston Barr*tt Cross Freeman Gage Harlock Harris Hawkins Head Hudd Parker Peckover Pennington Rayner Richards Seaman Smith Smyth Waterfall

Elizabeth Burnham, Mary Church, John Davis Cooper, Hannah Cork, Aubrey Cross, Mary J. Docwra, Elizabeth Griffiths, Chas Halifax, John Head, Lavinia King, Mary & Martha Mayhew, Alfred Augustus Mayo, Wm Pettit, Hezekiah Richards, Martha Sewell, Rebecca Sidnell, Hannah Smith, Augustin Smyth, Annie Southan, Catherine Till/Tell, Fanny Watt