Author Topic: Boot Machinist Occupation - 1891, 1901 Census - Green Family  (Read 5654 times)

Offline roos_gal

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Boot Machinist Occupation - 1891, 1901 Census - Green Family
« on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My Great Great Grand Parents  -  Caroline Elizabeth Green (Keeling) Born 1842 in Bethnal Green and  George Henry Green  Born Clerkenwell 1845 - d. 1889 had as boot machinist business.  According to both the 1891,  1901 Census for Hackney it says that the Caroline Green was an employer for a Boot Machinist Business.   In 1901 the census says that the boot machinist business was in her home on 16 Fremont St,  Hackney.  In 1891 she lived on 18 Ash Grove.

Does anyone have any information about businesses in the South Hackney area in 1890's and 1900's.  I live in Canada so going to the Library or the National Archives is kinda difficult.

I am sorry I don't know the name of business, anyone who would know in my family has since passed.

Any help or point into the right direction will be most helpful.

Thank you

Cheri Green
Researching family names of Green and  Wheeler in the London/ Middlesex areas

Offline bjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Boot Machinist Occupation - 1891, 1901 Census - Green Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 19:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cheri,
I can't help with your actual family search, but with regard to the bootmaking businesss I may be able to shed a light on the trade.
In the East end of London Bethnal Green and Hackney were noted for two main trades boot /shoe making and furniture making during the period that you mention,  This was the case until quite recently.  A lot of households actually made the boots or shoes at home and this may have been considered 'a business'
My own Gt. Grandfather was a bootmaker in Shoreditch as too was his wife and son.  The wife and son were on the census as being employed whilst the head of the house was said to have his 'own account'
Hoping this may help,
Brenda (London)

From a website East London History that mentions Ash Grove

Bootmaking was at first concentrated south and south-east of London Fields: in 1880, of 43 wholesale boot manufacturers listed in north London, 38 were in Hackney, including all but one of the 8 businesses in Ash Grove and 6 of the 10 in Mentmore Terrace. (fn. 70) Poverty in the 1890s was attributed to the hangers-on of boot finishers, whose northward drift from Bethnal Green had made a second centre for their trade. (fn. 71) In 1938 London's footwear industry was centred on Hackney, (fn. 72) where long established firms, all with Jewish names, were to survive until the 1960s. Jacob Kempner, at no. 236 Mare Street and Paragon Road in 1898, was at nos. 31 and 33 Well Street by 1911, called Kempner & Brandon by 1920, at Victory works in Shore Road in 1934 and 1948, and later in Dalston Lane. (fn. 73) Reuben Lazarus, in Hackney Grove by 1911, had one of three boot factories between Richmond and Ellingfort roads in 1934 and was in Ken worthy Road in 1948. (fn. 74) Eleazer Phillips, who replaced a Barnardo's home and the Y.M.C.A. at nos. 273-5 Mare Street, claimed to be Hackney's oldest shoemakers in 1948.

Offline roos_gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 06 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brenda,

Thank you for the information.  I wasn't aware about the trade.  The only thing I was told was that they had a boot making business and may have made boots for the Boar War.  This will give me something to research further.

Thank you again

Cheri

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 06 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheri

Since it may be a substantial business you might also try Hackney Archives here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130729.0.html

Best of luck
Biker
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roos_gal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 17:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you

This gives me something to look into.

Cheri

Offline Felbertrev

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 September 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheri, hope you're still there !
I have just got a 1910 Marriage certificate. For William Band (31)  and Ray Jakabowitch (22).  Both addresses shown as 16 Fremont Street South Hackney. Her father Godel Jakabowitch was a Leather Dealer.
As both were at same address, I guess Band was a lodger with her parents. William Band is the chap I am following.
Trevor

Offline JenBarPen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am fascinated by this thread of messages about Jewish shoe and bootmakers in the East End in the early 1900s. My great grandfather Lewis King made shoe uppers and lived in the Mile End Road. He is listed in the 1911 census as working at home.
Any further information about the lives of shoemakers in the East End at this time would be really helpful. Any photos? Any insights into the conditions in which they lived and worked?

Thank you.
Jenny

Offline ozpomfromhell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 24 10:57 BST (UK) »
I hope someone reads this as the thread is now very old.
My father worked at and later managed Phillips, shoe manufacturers at 273-275 Mare Street Hackney and we lived above the factory until 1954 when I was 2 years old.