Author Topic: Whelan and Begley Families Carlow  (Read 6297 times)

Offline Potatoes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whelan and Begley Families Carlow
« on: Wednesday 11 January 06 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Any information on the family of William Whelan of Brownshill Road, Carlow?
William Whelan Born c1860-65 Died c1950-51 His father may also have been a William.
                        Married Annie Crowe c.1922/23 ( c1893- 1944/45)
                        Children Thomas died aged 11 (c.1924-1935)
                                      William/Bill/Billy (1926-2002) - my father
                                      Ed/Ned (c1928-2004?)
                                      Pat/Paddy (c.1930 - present

William Whelan senior's life is outlined on the Crowe thread [reply number 8]. I wondered if anyone knew about his brothers who went the USA (via Ellis Island). He did have a brother called Peter who was possibly a farmer/publican/policeman in the Carlow area.I believe that Peter Whelan was married but childless. He certainly left a widow. William and Peter's  mother was a Catherine Begley of Pollerton Beg/Big.

Does anybody know anything of the either families' history in the Carlow area in the nineteenth century>
Begley, Crowe, Whelan - Carlow, Ireland
Hackford - Herefordshire, England
Riches, Chilver(s) Suffolk, England
Passey - Worcestershire, England
Walker - Birmingham/Worcestershire

Offline David Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whelan and Begley Families Carlow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 18 02:14 BST (UK) »
When where Peter and Catherine married and if you are looking for begley you should also look at Bigley as that's how it was spelled for a long time and Catherine could of went by the name kathleen or Kate.
Begley came from graiguecullen just over the bridge than from there they spread out all over the down. As its should all begley's are possible related in the town if you have more info on them I could help you out more. My granddad is a begley

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whelan and Begley Families Carlow
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
Potatoes hasn't been on RootsChat since November 2006 but on the off chance your post brings him/her back.
William Whelan's father was Thomas.
Marriage 1922
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1922/09206/5330457.pdf