Author Topic: Lampeter Velfrey - Do you recognise these place names?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lampeter Velfrey - Do you recognise these place names?
« on: Friday 13 January 06 12:48 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to identify 2 place names which I believe exist near or in Lampeter Velfrey.

To explain, I have received the following baptism information from the Nonconformist register for Henllan Amgoed (a frustrating register as it does not give parent names and it appears that "meetings" were held all over the region - Carmarthenshire & Pembrokeshire).

"...Baptism of Phoebe REES on Milaungsonig ??  land in Lampiter parish July 19th. 1807.....&  Baptism of Anne REES of Gwyng ? y Bwch? on Allty Bali ? land,  Lampitor parish February 13th. 1813..."

Funny that the baptisms are described as taking place "on XYZ land"??

Unfortunately I do not have a copy of the register entries - the names highlighted are "best guess" approximations of the entry as the writing is very difficult to decipher.

Carmarthenshire Archives advised that the "Lampiter" referred to is probably Lampeter Velfrey near Narberth.

Does anyone have any clue as to what these place names could be  ???
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lampeter Velfrey - Do you recognise these place names?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 13 January 06 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors from Lampeter Velfry and some of the baptisms seem to have occured at the farm where they lived (private baptisms?) and the name of the farm appeared before Lampeter Velfry in the register. Could well be the case for yours too. Although my entries did say Lampeter Velfry or Lampeter V, rather than just Lampeter. Are you aware that there is another town in South Wales called just Lampeter?

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 06 20:10 GMT (UK) »
From what I can gather, baptisms for the congregation of Henllan Amgoed took place at their "meetings" which were often held at members homes so this ties in nicely with your findings.

I queried the "Lampiter" mention with CMN Archives and Lampeter Velfrey was identified as being the probable location as there were no other Lampeters identified within the range of  Henllan Amgoed's geographic range/congregation.

Are there any other Lampeters - other than the Lampeter in Cardiganshire & Lampeter Vale near Lampeter Velfrey?

I've been googling like mad but have found nothing that seems to match the names given. I suppose what I'm really looking for is a pretty comprehensive list of all properties named in that area - PEM & CMN!

I've checked the census for 1851 but no houses in the Lampeter Velfrey area seem to match - frustrating ???

Thanks for your comments  :)

Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Offline peggypatch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 January 06 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Those are the only other Lampeters I know of. Shame you don't have a copy of the originals, can you get one? My main source of info has been a 3rd cousin that I met through the genuki site who still lives in the area and is a Welsh speaker. He has been fantastic and it was he who identified the old family farm & even sent me a copy of a painting of it in 'the olden days'. If you could get a copy (cheaply) of the names you were unsure of I could ask him to have a look...

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 06 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that - I'll see what I can sort out and get back to you  :)