Author Topic: Five Roads and Seaside Llanelly interests  (Read 8330 times)

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Five Roads and Seaside Llanelly interests
« on: Thursday 16 September 04 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hello. I have traced my husband's family back to Daniel THOMAS born 1793 at Bryndu farm Five Roads and his descendants were connected to many farms inThe Five Roads area.
John JONES born 1799 Froy farm Llangendeirne.
Thomas SAMUEL born 1806 Glynsallen farm Llanelly.
Thomas THOMAS born c1800 Penyrheol farm Llanelly
Thomas DAVIES born 1793 Wern, Seaside, lead smelter
William MORRIS born 1827 Seaside Llanelly dock labourer
David GRIFFITHS born c1820 Seaside Llanelly labourer in tinworks

If anyone else is researching these names or have any info on them I'd be delighted to hear from them. I have quite a bit of info on their descendants I'll be happy to share.  Chris
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline jkimc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Five Roads and Seaside Llanelly interests
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 05 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Chris,
This is a totally long shot, but I am trying to trace relatives of my great grandfather, John Thomas of Llanelli, born somewhere between1850-1880.
I know very little about him except he was a one-armed coal merchant with 11 children.
(these were Emily, Gethin,Stanley,Walter,Albert,Martin,Eadie,Hilda,Minnie,Myra and Peggy- no mention in 1901 census so all probably born after that.)
A lot of my family came from the Seaside area so I wondered if you might be linked in some way or whether you have come across him in your research.

please contact if any of this rings a bell.
Thanks,
Jill C.
Carmarthenshire, Llanelly: Phillips
Warwickshire: Hoffer, Trueman
Montgomeryshire, Llansantffraid: Cadwaladr, Williams
Monmouthshire, Risca + Machen: Morris, Crook, Phillips
Glamorgan, Cardiff: Cadwaladr, Hoffer, Treweek
Cheshire, Northwich: Cadwaladr
Somerset, Paulton: Emery

Offline DRodrigu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 March 05 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about ancestors of, or descendents of, John Newland Morris, believed born 16 Feb 1823, Llanilly. Married Phoebe Devinold (spelling?) about 1853. Phoebe believed born about 1830, Llanilly. John Newland Morris and Phoebe Devinold Morris emigrated to the U.S. about 1855.

Please reply if you have information or interest.

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 April 05 20:56 BST (UK) »
Sorry for delay in replying - changed my computer and didn't keep any records! The families mentioned don't ring a bell with my tree . unfortunately Thomases are very common in Llanelli - I should know, I'm a Thomas who married a Thomas and research is a nightmare! Re Devonald - I think you'll have more luck with this spelling, I vaguely remember girls in school with this name. I'll get back again if I come across anything or feel free to ask if you have any general questions on Llanelli ( new spelling of Llanelly)
THOMAS - Swansea/Llanelli. FORSE - Devon/Canada/USA. Toolan(various spellings) - Scotland/Lancashire. CUDMORE - Devon. MOGRIDGE - Devon. WALDRON - Devon. WARNER - England/Wales. WILLIAMS - Swansea.

Offline jkimc2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 10:10 BST (UK) »
On the subject of Seaside, I have discovered that my g g grandfather owned a lot of property on Caroline St and Burry St which I believe was in that area.
I thought that this was property belonging to the Lead/Copperworks- so how would he have acquired it?
he appears not to have had a very affluent job so why wpould he have owned 5 houses to give away in his will?
(His name was John Francis)
Carmarthenshire, Llanelly: Phillips
Warwickshire: Hoffer, Trueman
Montgomeryshire, Llansantffraid: Cadwaladr, Williams
Monmouthshire, Risca + Machen: Morris, Crook, Phillips
Glamorgan, Cardiff: Cadwaladr, Hoffer, Treweek
Cheshire, Northwich: Cadwaladr
Somerset, Paulton: Emery

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 October 05 14:43 BST (UK) »
Caroline St still stands in the Seaside area of Llanelli (was Llanelly) and is now near the Llanelli coastal redevelopment scheme. These houses were originally built for workers to rent - I once lived in a similar house, the works manager had apparently rented the larger double fronted house at the end of the terrace! As works closed the houses were sold off and it's possible that tenants were given first option on purchase. Could your relation have inherited the properties himself? Or maybe he came into money and put it into property to rent out? Coincidentally there is still an estate agent in Llanelli called John Francis. Good luck with your search!

Offline pandora

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 15 February 08 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Welsh lady,just been trawling through old post and discovered you have a couple of names I am researching.
John Jones farmer, father of my G/Grandfather Daniel.  Daniel 22, married my G/mother Ann Thomas 22, married at the Tabernacle Chapel Dec 1881, John is listed as deceased on the marriage cert.Daniel was born in Llangendeirne. Address Pen- Y- Bank farm.
Ann Thomas, father Thomas Thomas, Butcher, deceased at time of marriage. I can't find anything about John Jones or Thomas Thomas.
My  G/mother Mary Ann Jones born 1889, married William Harris ( coalminer) in 1909.

Maybe we may have link.

pandora
Jones.  Kidwelly, Wales
Harries/Harris. Wales
White. Hampshire
Sutton. Kent

Offline Welsh Chris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 February 08 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pandora, My John Jones married a Lettice Hugh and lived on Ffoy Farm. They did have a son Daniel born 1838 but He was unmarried. I also have a Thomas Thomas born 1825 , son of daniel , who was a farmer/butcher. He married Ann Charles on 10 April 1849 in St johns Church Pontyberem. I believe they were childless.
Are you a member of GenesReunited? I could give you access to my tree there if it will help.

Offline Agatemoose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 December 08 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information about ancestors of, or descendents of, John Newland Morris, believed born 16 Feb 1823, Llanilly. Married Phoebe Devinold (spelling?) about 1853. Phoebe believed born about 1830, Llanilly. John Newland Morris and Phoebe Devinold Morris emigrated to the U.S. about 1855.