Author Topic: Clelland & Gardener Family- Paisley , Renfrw.  (Read 5419 times)

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
Clelland & Gardener Family- Paisley , Renfrw.
« on: Sunday 15 January 06 22:28 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for others interested in the Clelland and Gardner family in Paisley.  Ann Gardner Andrews was bapt 1845, daughter of John Andrews and Janet Clelland. Janet Clelland bapt 1823  was the daughter of James Clelland and Ann Gardner.  Ann Gardner bapt 1799 was the daughter of John Gardner and Ann Walker.

Have a found a few items on the family but at a brick wall on the Clelland's and since it seems to not be a very common name , wondered if there were others out there.

- Kristin
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Clelland & Gardener Family- Paisley , Renfrw.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 January 06 23:09 GMT (UK) »
but at a brick wall on the Clelland's and since it seems to not be a very common name , wondered if there were others out there.

It is quite sparse ... there are only 14 Clellands and 21 Cleland's in the 1851 census index for Renfrewshire.

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 January 06 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Two main families ... you probably already have the details ..

In Paisley ..
Agnes Clelland aged 51 has with her
James aged 25, Archibald aged 23, Agnes 20, William 17, John 15 and Elizabeth 12

Also in Paisley
John Clelland 38 with Mary Clelland 38 and Janet aged 15, Susan aged 10 and William aged 8.

There is a 47 yr old William who appears to be on his own in Paisley and a 7 yr old George Clelland in Greenock .... no family with him as far as I can see from this index.

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 January 06 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  It seems I am related to the Agnes Clelland (really was Ann Gardner Clelland- She seems to use both names in Census) in the census. So  I am probably related to the whole bunch is Paisley. 
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 September 06 23:37 BST (UK) »

Nutkin - In my family there is a Christina Gardner Leitch b 15 mar 1874 f Alexander Leitch m Janet Hamilton.
Matthew Hamilton, (bro. of Janet's) married Christina Cleland 13 Jul 1849 barony.
Christian Cleland ch 09 May 1830 Barony f Robert m Agnes McKenzie.
I am looking for others interested in the Clelland and Gardner family in Paisley. Ann Gardner Andrews was bapt 1845, daughter of John Andrews and Janet Clelland. Janet Clelland bapt 1823 was the daughter of James Clelland and Ann Gardner. Ann Gardner bapt 1799 was the daughter of John Gardner and Ann Walker.

Have a found a few items on the family but at a brick wall on the Clelland's and since it seems to not be a very common name , wondered if there were others out there.

- Kristin

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 01:24 BST (UK) »
That is very intersting. I am not sure of a connection but must be more than coincidence.

Offline Margaret Russell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 September 06 03:34 BST (UK) »
Nutkin - Both the Leitches and the Hamiltons came from Abbey Paisley, but I have been unable to find any of the children on the IGI.

Blessings Margaret

Offline emorrisn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 May 16 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I seem to have some information regarding the Clelland's in Paisley. They are not direct ancestors to us, just through marriage.

I have a William Fleming Clelland b. c 1833 married Margaret Christie 27th July 1866 in Paisley. They had 3 daughters - Ann Gardiner Clelland b.1867, Jane Christie Clelland b.1869, Nelly b. 1871 and 1 son William b. 1872.

William Fleming Clelland's parents were James Clelland and Diana/Ann Gardiner.

We are related through Margaret Christie (she was widowed before marrying William Clelland).
Renfrewshire: MORRISON, LAUCHLAN, DUNLOP, TYRELL, HOLMES, COLQUHUON, PEACOCK, CRAIG, GIBSON, ADAM, GARRETT

Lanarkshire: MUIR/MOORE, URE, BEATON

Argyllshire: McGREGOR, MORRISON

Aberdeenshire: WILLIAMSON, HENDERSON, MOIR

Inverness-shire: FOX

Kincardineshire: REID, PATERSON, REITH, DAVIDSON

England: GLAISTER, GRAHAM, GURD

Ireland: TYRELL, RAMSAY, GURD

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 May 16 12:57 BST (UK) »
Not sure.. I am looking and I am sure some how connect st not really directly.. My Ann Gardner Clelland was born in 1799. She married John CLelland 1818.  I am descended through a daughter Janet born 1823. I look closer. I am off to work now..

Kristin