Author Topic: CHARMAN one name study  (Read 41592 times)

Offline miildredmartha

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHARMAN one name study
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 September 10 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin  .
Do you have anything on Mary Charman  Illegitimate sister to Martha Mildred Charman   I seem to think she married a person Called Thorn BUT Seems to have gone AWOL after it
Both Daughters to Kate Charman........
Marys father believed to be HENRY Burchett.. as the banns were read in Send Church  three times but the marriage never took place I wonder why ?
Regards Mary  nee Lee  g grand daughter of Martha Mildred  Charman later Lee.
abbott jones roberts i Wales  lennox mcmeekan   aiken Dunn  Carson Andeson  In Ireland
lee Carter Mathews Potter Martin Edwards  Hampshire and surrey

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
  • Charmans, Charmans and Charmans - anywhere anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 September 10 20:40 BST (UK) »
Brian, the William Charman marriage to Ann Ward was 16/3/1769 at St George's Beckenham.

I did spot the name "Francis" being used and wondered about that.  William & Anns son Francis Thomas Charman (17/3/1779 Epsom) heads the family of butchers in Ewell. I have that Francis Thomas Charmans will, and John Charmans 1819 will.

I had assumed for no particularly good reason that the William Charman who married Ann Young 5/5/1802 at st Michael Bassishaw was William 's son William (1773 Epsom) - although that William must have died before 1818 as he isnt mentioned in William snrs will.  I can see your logic in William re-marrying but I need a bit of help.

Theres a burial 18/9/1801 of Mrs Mary Charman in Epsom - at least thats how I noted it some years ago. Ive never been able to identify that "Mrs Mary".  Ive not noted an Ann Charmans burial in 1802 so I'm wondering if this is the burial that you mention for Ann nee Ward?  Did I misread the PR?

And yes, I think we can assume that John baptised in Gt Bookham is indeed the son of William & Ann - but beware that theres also an Ann baptised in Gt Bookham 7/7/1771 and another baptised in Epsom 11/1/1775. 

Colin Charman

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 September 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin

The burial entry for St Michael Bassishaw 1802 reads William Charman of Epsom, widower, and Ann Young OTP widow.

The burial entry for Mrs Mary Charman for Sep 1801 (no day shown) appears to be an error.  The following M.I. is in the churchyard at Epsom: Ann Charman wife of William who died 9 Sep 1801 aged 57. Also William Charman who died 16 Oct 1818 aged 76.

Several of their children also have M.I.s, but I cannot identify the following: Elizabeth wife of William Charman who died 7 Aug 1846 aged 38.

Brian

Offline bdmayes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 September 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Marriage entry for St Michael Bassishaw

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 27 September 10 11:58 BST (UK) »
The 1846 burial is Elizabeth (nee Frith) bap 18/10/1807 Ewell d/o Thomas Frith and Mary (nee Wiltshire).

Elizabeth Frith was the first wife of William Charman bap 11/2/1821 Dorking St Martins, s/o Edward Charman and Susannah (nee Stillwell). William married Elizabeth Frith 8/12/1844 Bow St Mary.  William re-married twice and was buried 29/1/1903 at Epsom, aged 83.  He was a watchmaker in Epsom high Street.

William (1821 watchmaker) would be the 2nd cousin 3 x removed of William (1742) if the latter was indeed the son of Daniel & Jude.

I just wish there wasnt that pesky 1761 baptism of William in Warnham - that would make life so much simpler!

Ive not walked Epsom churchyard looking at MIs - are they all in one area (if so where?) or have you access to a list of them?

I'd really like to turn up burials for William (1742)'s possible brother Richard Charman (1749) who married Rebecca Worsfold 22/9/1776 at Epsom (St Martin?) - they had children John (c 4/10/1778), Ann (c 11/2/1780) and Jane (c 14/7/1782) all bap at Epsom St Martin. Richard might be buried back at Warnham (7/5/1786 or 3/9/1788) but I haven't found a burial or re-marriage for Rebecca.

Colin Charman

Offline bkernos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Surrey Misic Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 October 10 22:34 BST (UK) »

Just some information on William Stewart Heard and his wife Elizabeth,  in 1901 they were living in Hale, Farnham Rural, Hale, Surrey, England.  From the Chelse Soldiers Records, Williams DOB is:  1857 Born in Parish of birth: BallymoneyTown of birth: Ballymoney County of birth: Antrimnt.
Hope this adds a bit more the the tale for you.

Hi, I found the same marriage too between George Charman and Louisa Binfield Jun q 1921 Farnham. I haven't looked up details of that one so far, and I can't presently identify that George Charman.

There is also a marriage between Louisa Charman and Henry Edwin Harding 25/6/1940 in West Grinstead. The PR entry says Louisa was age 62, widow, and her father was William Stewart Heard (dec), Labourer.  Henry Edwin was age 72, widower, gardener and his father was Allen Harding (dec), Carman.  That makes him Henry Edwin Harding baptised 13/9/1867 in Warnham.

In 1911 Louisa gives her age as 31, so she must have been born about 1878-1880, and her parents must be William Stewart Heard and Elizabeth Ellis who married Mar q 1880 in Elham RD.  Theres no obvious birth registration for Louisa as HEARD but I suspect there may be one somewhere as ELLIS. It doesnt help that I couldnt find William Stewart Heard and his family in 1881/1891, nor could I find Louisa in 1901. I only looked at the 1911 census index so I don't know where it says she was born. If you look it up, please let me know.

William Edwin Hardings death appears to be registered Mar q 1955 in Worthing, aged 87.  I couldnt see an obvious death registration for Louisa Harding, but she could be 1Q1968 horsham age 86 (Ref: 5h/978) or 3Q1940 Brighton age 62 (Ref: 2b/658).

Heard - Ballymoney, Ireland & Surrey, England
Clark - Kent, England.  Bendigo, Vic. Australia.
Stettler - Switzerland
Fisher - Australia
Farr - & La Farre - Surrey, England
Kernos - Ukraine
Ellis - Surrey, England
Littleboy, Buckinghamshire, England
Zealey, Surrey, England

Offline Cathy Tait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I have/had an uncle named George Charman, previously married to Marjorie Charman and residing at Hartfield Avenue in Brighton.  George would be in his 70's now.  George also had a nephew named Colin, but I am unsure of his sirname. 

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Cathy
Ontario, Canada

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Cathy,
according to records, I'm afraid George died in 2003 in Peterborough and Marjorie had died in 1991 in Brighton.

The records show that his sister Betty married Charles (Tony) Lemmon and they had 3 children including a son Colin.

I did speak to a niece Marjorie (daughter of George's sister Marjorie and Charles Peters) some time ago.  I'll see if I can work out how to send her phone number to you.

Regards, Colin Charman

Offline Cathy Tait

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Thanks for your speedy reply.  I was sad to hear that George has passed away, but I haven't seen or spoken to him in many years.

Your information is correct.  Marjorie did pass away in Brighton in 1991.  She was my aunt on my mother's side.  Marjorie had a blood related nephew named Colin (a different Colin than you spoke of).

Do you only research the last name "Charman" or do you have access to other information?

SHORT FAMILY TREE:
Elsie Nichols   - Mother (Brighton)
3 Daughters -  Pamela, Marjorie & Dorothy
(Dorothy had the son named Colin ... sorry I don't even know his last name)

Both Dorothy & Majorie have passed away.  My mother is Pamela.  My mom married Peter Tait, also from England.

I am trying to locate Colin as he is my only cousin. 

Thanks again for your assistance.

Cathy Tait
Ontario, Canada