Author Topic: CHARMAN one name study  (Read 41582 times)

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
  • Charmans, Charmans and Charmans - anywhere anytime
    • View Profile
Re: CHARMAN one name study
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 October 10 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
I did a bit of sleuth work and figured out that your GF was William W Nicholls born around 1893, and your mother Elsie May Gilbey (1901) - that led me in turn to Dorothy and Pamelas births. 

Then I went looking for a Colin born in Brighton with mothers name Nicholls - on the big assumption that Dorothy married and lived in Brighton. I found Dorothy M Nicholls married Thomas G Smith 1945, and they had a son Colin M Smith registered March qtr 1949 in Brighton (so he could have been born Nov/Dec 1948).

Then to GenesReunited, where there is an Amy Smith with Colin Smith in their tree born 1948 in Brighton. I've sent them a message asking for her or Colins contact details. They may be the one in 8 that responds so don't build up your hopes!!!

With a name like Smith it could take a bit of doing. I don't mind a small excursion away from Charmans, but Smiths could be a bridge too far.

Could you send me a "personal message" with your email address please (I don't think they like email addresses in postings in Rootschat). I think you click my icon beside this message and it offers that option.

Regards, Colin Charman

Offline skypescraper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
Colin,

I wonder whether you've got a Shele/Shelah Charman (born c.1705) in your records who married a Mary Lesseter and had a son called Richard baptised in Slinfold, West Sussex, in 1744?

If so, I'd be interested anything more about them, but particularly whether Shelah appears to be a family name, or whether there's likely to be a Jewish connection?

Many thanks.

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 12 September 11 19:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, Shelah Charman  (1705, Slinfold/Warnham) is in my file - he was the son of John Charman and Sarah (nee Stanford).  The name is used a couple of generations later with a Shelah born in 1762 to Daniel Charman and Judith (nee Bennett).  My computer tells me these two Shelahs were 3rd cousins, 3 times removed - a bit of a stretch for the naming conventions that people used, so maybe there was a closer cousin that carried the name.

I had a quick look at the use of the name Shelah (etc) in the parishes around Warnham where my ancestors came from (unfortunately I don't have the Slinfold PR but I do have a lot of the others (Horsham, Rusper, Rudgwick, Itchingfield, Billingshurst, etc). There is only one use of the name Shelah in those parishes in the period 1705-1762 - its Shelah Gibson baptised 28/4/1732 in Rudgwick, s/o Joseph. I'll have to have a closer look at him to see if I can find a link.

Outside of the Warnham area, theres Shelah Pratt in 1776 in South Bersted - he's the grandson of the 1705 Shelah Charman.

Then we come to Shelah Wales born 1792 in Rusper - who incidentally married Elizabeth Charman. This Shelah Wales is the son of Robert Wales and Sarah (nee Shaw). I couldn't see how that one occured, buty I did find a burial of Shelah Shaw in Charlwood in 1777 aged 74 so he may have been the grandfather of Sarah Shaw.  Another one to check!

And thats about all there are in the Sussex/Surrey area where my ancestors lived - and there seem to be precious few elsewhere in the country.

It is biblical in origin, but not limited to Jewish families as far as I can tell.  There are no particularly "biblical" names amongst Shelah Charman (1705)'s ancestors between about 1550 and 1705.

And thats about it for the name Shelah.

I have the Charman tree in Ancestry and GenesReunited. If you let me have your email address through a private message, I'll set you up as a guest in Ancestry.

Regards, Colin Charman

Offline skypescraper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 12 September 11 19:44 BST (UK) »
Great, thanks Colin.  Will do!

Offline lincolnian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 17 June 12 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Colin.
Please, have you any info. on an - A W Charman? the only info I can give you is
that in 1916 he was in the army (Royal West Kents. No. 3363) & was at the
time stationed/living in Tonbridge.
   Kind regards.

Brian W

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 June 12 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
I don't have all the Army numbers for WW1 as many records were destroyed - so I don't recognise 3363.

I have an Arthur William Charman born 1868 who married in Tonbridge Reg District in 1893 to Agnes Sarah Wallis but he emigrated to Canada in 1893/1894.  There, they had several children including an Arthur William Charman born 1898. Its possible that he returned to UK during WW1, then went back to Canada where he married and had at least two children.

Aside from the above, I have two Alfred Ws and 3 Arthur Ws who would have been about the right age to be in the army for WW1.

Any clues about his likely age at the time?

If you send me a personal message via this site, giving me your email address, I'll invite you as a guest to my tree in ancestry.

Regards, Colin Charman

Offline lincolnian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 18 June 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
Colin.
Thank you for your quick response & info; no, I haven't a clue re. the age of A.W.

My address is bdotwatkinsone at ntlworlddot com

Thanks again

BrianW

Offline rbmcdowl2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colin,

I have a Winifred May EDNEY who married Samuel Ernest Mitchell CHARMAN in 1915 in Steyning District, Sussex. He was killed on 30 Jun 1916 in France. I am trying to determine if Winifred remarried after Samuel's death. Would you have this information? I found them on the public member trees on Ancestry.com, but the tree is no longer available. The search results entry indicates they were married on 17 Nov 1915 in Coombes, Sussex, and that she was born on 11 Oct 1892. Any help you can give me with this couple would be appreciated. Thanks.

Robert

Offline Colin Charman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 23 January 13 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert
I found Winifred Edney's death (as Winifred Charman) in Dec qtr 1976 in Chichester Reg District - this gave the dob 11 Oct 1891, which we know to be a year out. My friend John Charman found her burial at Storrington 25 Oct 1976.

There were no children registered as Charman with mothers maiden name Edney, and none registered as Edney with mmn Edney just before the marriage.