Author Topic: Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850  (Read 15087 times)

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850
« on: Tuesday 17 January 06 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Looking for info about Shaw and Dowds families that lived in Belfast Ireland in the late 1800's to present day. 

Hazelnut Street was one address the Shaws lived at.

Mary Ann Shaw was my father's guardian when he came to Canada in 1930 and she lived at Hazelnut.

Maggie Dowds was my grandmother and she had a wooden leg!

Any info would be appreciated.

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 June 06 13:20 BST (UK) »
hi - I have ancestors Dowds in my family tree - they came from county down northern ireland - they left and came to work in fife in scotland - if you would their information gladly give it to you - one was my gt gt grandmother margaret dowds - she came and married a james flannigan also from county downs - her parents were a james dowds and sarah flannigan - regards bambie

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 June 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 06 02:26 BST (UK) »
hi - I have ancestors Dowds in my family tree - they came from county down northern ireland - they left and came to work in fife in scotland - if you would their information gladly give it to you - one was my gt gt grandmother margaret dowds - she came and married a james flannigan also from county downs - her parents were a james dowds and sarah flannigan - regards bambie

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 June 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Bambi

I am very interested in learning more about your Margaret Dowds and family.  Do you have an idea when Margaret would have been born.  My grandmother would have been born about 1887. 

Thanks for writing.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Gimpy

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 June 06 02:36 BST (UK) »
Hi gimpy.

Belfast 1949

Miss Mary Shaw 19 Hazelnut St, North Belfast.

Could be Mary Ann's Daughter?

Miss Miriam Shaw 19 Hazelnut St.

Is Mary & Miriam the same name?

Anthony

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 June 06 02:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony

Did you find Mary Shaw at 19 Hazelnut St in 1949?   And Miriam Shaw in 1962? 

Can you tell me what you were looking at?  This is exciting.  I bet it's the same person!  I do not know when she died. 

Please get back to me.  Really appreciate hearing from you.

Gimpy

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 June 06 04:31 BST (UK) »
hi gimpy - probably not the same Dowd's but one never knows with some idiot burning the registrar offices in Ireland.
My Margaret Dowds was born in 1845 in county down ireland she married a James Flannigan from Newry County Down Northern Ireland in 1856 in Fife (very young she was - they also put 10years to their ages when I found them on the census but on their deaths thought I had it wrong)
her parents were James Dowds and Sarah Flannigan (must have married into her mothers side of the family) got this from her wedding and death certificate.  She had a brother Bernard Dowds who married another Margaret Dowds (maiden name Dowds - must have been a popular name there)- found their son on one of the flannigans census down as Nephew so traced him and found his marriage cert - thats when I knew who his parents were - the nephew was born in Fife - but cannot trace if he had any more sibblings -
my margaret dowds - also had another brother Edward Dowds (also on one of the census) he was born in 1834. ireland.  Could not trace him in scotland so he must have came for a visit was not married.   Also found Samuel Dowds who got married the same date as young Bernard Dowds they were cousins (whether to my margaret Dowds or to Bernards 1st wife margaret dowds ??) anyway found his parents and sibblings living in Fife Scotland James Dowds and Margaret Rourk born 1827 County Down Ireland some of their children also born in Ireland (including Samuel) who after he got married to Mary porteous born 1848 they seemingly went to live in Durham in England - found one census of them.  Also on my investigation found a William Dowds and Margaret Dougen born 1829 and 1834 and their children - all born in fife scotland lived next door to them - so know that the Irish stuck together in Scotland as they were outsiders and people did not like them for taking their work seemingly - so my guess they are all related - kind regards bambie

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 June 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi