Author Topic: Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850  (Read 15089 times)

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey

Where in England.  I think my Shaws may have started in England

gimpy

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 27 June 06 12:36 BST (UK) »
my Shaw's first found 1841 census Northumberland b Down then moved to Cumberland ,Yorkshire ,and Lancs

Audrey

Offline BuzzBud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 August 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, Gimpy;
I have seen posts between you and Bambi and would like to get more information about the Dowds family that came from Fife to Durham.  Would you mind also copying Bambi, since I cannot find her email address to copy it myself.  My wife is a descendant of William Dowds of Durham/Consett who I believe is a decendent of Samuel Dowds and Mary Porteous.  Margaret Dowds (currently alive in Durham) is also a relative in the mix.  If you can contact me and provide any more information about this portion of the Dowds family, I would be most appreciative!

Offline BuzzBud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 August 12 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, Bambie;
I just joined RootChat because of your posts and Gimpy's!  My wife and her family have been researching their Dowd's ancesters with limited success.  My wife's grandfather, William Dowds, lived in Black Hill and I believe came from Durham.  I have heard that Mary Porteous was an ancester. Based upon your posts, it looks like Samuel from Fife may have been an ancester?  My wife's father, Augustine, says that his gradfather came from Fife!  Can you provide any other valuable info about the Dowd's family from Fife?  Thanks!  All of the Dowds cousins are trying to trace their roots.

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 20 September 12 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
my ancestor was Rose ann Dowds born around 1835 to William Dowds and Rose Mcguire, she gives her birth in antrim and derry  but I have no idea where, she moved to Scotland and Married James Mitchell who was from Tyrone, they married in Glasgow in 1855, this is my brick wall

Kind regards
Kathy

GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kathy ..  years later .. so sorry ..   saw your Dowds and McGuire .. 

Have you done any genetic testing.   I am on 23andme, gedmatch, and FTDNA..     A couple of your names at the bottom also are familiar ones on my matches .. like Sweeney and Elliot.

GEDmatch M529084 is my kit number.   

I am looking for Shaw but also Dowds and someone who is a close match to me is looking for McGuire.

Love to hear back from  you.

Shirley 

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 04 March 17 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi gimpy, did you solve the missing relatationship between the Hazelnut Shaws, with your Granny Maggie Dowds and your father Herbert and his syblings May, Robert, Joseph, and John. 

I tried but became stuck Molyneaux Court or Street .  If its Belfast its only Molyneaux Street
 running from 58 Henry Street to Little George's Street  [ I think that’s Dock ward in Belfast Co Antrim in the civil parish of Shankill. I searched PRONI own street directorys collection which ends in 1900.   The Street directories show it never has numbesIt has never had street Nos above 22.  Can you recheck what PRONI told you.  Mary Lennons great website for Street directories www.lennonwylie. co.uk has eg 1918 A Maggie Glenn as the only Maggie and no Dowds or Shaws associated with it. The census 1911 confirms this as well.ie no Shaws and the census shows boarders names as well.

Going back in time to 1660 I notice the  Shaws have been around for a long time in the Belfast areas eg the hearth money rolls of 1660’s see http://www.billmacafee.com     
his headings for columns in a table are:-
Record No.   No. in Barony List   County   Barony   Parish   Townland (Modern Spelling)   Townland as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Forename as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname as spelt in Hearth Money Rolls   Surname [Standardised]
14459   850   Antrim   Belfast Upper   Shankill    Malone Upper   Upper Liberties of Mallone   John   Show   Shaw
14559   950   Antrim   Belfast Upper   Shankill    Forth River Area   Liberties of the glen   John   Shaw   Shaw
15080   1471   Antrim   Belfast Upper   Lambeg    Lambeg Parish   Lambeg Liberties   Thomas   Showe   Shaw

Molyneaux Court or Street .   Its Molyneaux Street
 running from 58 Henry Street to Little George's Street[ I think that’s Dock ward in Belfast Co Antrim in the civil parish of Shankill. I searched PRONI own street directorys collection which ends in 1900.   It has never had street Nos above 22.  Can you recheck what PRONI tiold you.  Mary lennons great website for Street directories www.lennonwylie. co.uk has eg 1918 A Maggie Glenn as the only Maggie and no Dowds or Shaws associated with it. The census 1911 confirms this as well.ie no Shaws and the census shows boarders names as well.   However that reminded me that Griffiths valuation was followed by Valuation offices being formed and changes of tenants and landlords all being registered in Valuation revision books.  The Public Record office for northern Ireland has a digitized collection online up to about 1923. I think they may have found your Maggie Dowds so listed.  However finding the right book is not straightforward. If you go onto PRONI website , enter the Valuation Revision Books section with a search for  Molyneaux  Shankill parish Co Antrim you find
the following small table
PLACE NAME   URBAN   TOWNLAND   PARISH   COUNTY   DATE FROM   DATE TO   PRONI REFERENCE
Molyneaux Street   Belfast, City of   Townparks   Shankill   Antrim   1882   1896   the last reference doesn’t print out but reads {Current PRONI Reference:} VAL/12/B/43/B/11 (1882 - 1896).  You click on this number and you move to sreen offering you Index Image, Forward 10 images, Next, Last image .
Click on Index image and its missing.  I eventually found Molyneaux Streetappears on pages 383 and 384 of 521 pages. However on the actualpages are in red the numbers 436,437 and in blue 190,191. no names relevant to your query found.   On the LHS of the image of the index page is a list of relevant numbers

Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/44/4C
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/1
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/2
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/3
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/4
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/5
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/6
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/7
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/8
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/9
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/10
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/12
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/13 
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/14
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/15
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/16
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/17
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/18
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/19
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/20
Open Image in a new window VAL/12/B/43/B/21

I opened B1 and found an index page showing it coveredup to 1881 B21 is VAL/12/B/43/B/21 (1916 - 1930)
found B18 is VAL/12/B/43/B/18 (1906 - 1915)
Molyneaux is in 2nd page of index its in book 11 page 244 BUT I have gone through the book twice and cannot find page 244 or any reference further to Molyneaux
I stop there dizzy.  please have ago yourself
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 04 March 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I found the Molyneau pages in the next numbered volume VAL/12/B/43/B/19 (1906 - 1915) BUT no mention of Maggie Dowds,
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 05 March 17 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Wow .. I've been gone too long ..   that's a lot of help.   Thanks BallyaltikilliganG!     I'm not really much farther along with my search ..   but I have added to my tools DNA testing ..  so anyone that is on GEDmatch I am kit M590824.    Also on 23andme and FTDNA.   Anyone considering doing this, I strongly encourage.   I am seeing people from Australia, New Zealand, and all over the world ..  Quite fascinating.

I asked PRONI a long time ago about the numbering on Molyneaux ..  and had correspondence with them and they rechecked their records ..  And the explanation was that it was either misrepresented or recorded improperly.   So a dead end.   

Will definitely look at the information you have provided there ..   it is not something I am familiar with.   Thank you for all  your help!

I soldier on .. will report any new findings ..   I did have one person who was corresponding called Bambi ..  are you still here?   Your email address is not working ..   She had some Scottish connections with the Dowd/s family at the time I more or less discounted but now would look at a little closer.

Still hoping to hear about the Shaw family and the Dowd family from Northern Ireland ..  any stories are greatly appreciated.

And thanks again for this information you have provided ..  will check it out and it will be helpful just to know it ..  and for the future for sure,

Will be getting a 2nd hip replacement in April so I remain,

Gimpy