Author Topic: Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850  (Read 15091 times)

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Shaw and Dowds families after1850
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 June 06 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony

What a terrific little map showing the streets around Hazelnut.  Do you know if this area is in the Shankill?  According to my father's army book, his sister May (or Mary Ann, possibly Miriam) lived on Hazelnut during WW11.  Not sure when she moved in or out. 

I think that people moved around a lot.  I also know that Hazelnut street no longer exists so I don't know when it disappeared.  So it is quite possible Mary Shaw made a move 6 streets away.

You could be right about a daughter.  Wish I knew. 

Could I ask a favour?  If you have a directory for 1911 and 1920 could you tell me who is living at 24 and 26 Molyneaux Street?  I think it is in the Dock area of Belfast.  Hope it isn't too much trouble. 

Do you live in Ireland?

Really appreciate your help.  I am in Canada if I can help you here.

Gimpy

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 June 06 02:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Bambie

Wow what a family history you have accumulated.  I have a feeling I have a Scottish connection from comments my father made so I am not sure whether your people are connected to my people.  I know from the Ulster Covenant there were several Margaret Dowds living in Northern Ireland in 1912.  One of them  may be my grandmother.  As I have tried to research my Dowds, I have seen Bernard and Samuel Dowds.  I wonder if they are your family?  They were either living in Ireland later or descendants with the same names.  The name James is significant to me but I am not sure if James Dowds is common or not.

I am going to save your information and ponder over it.  It is much older information than anything I have. 

If I think of anything else, or if you do - please let me know.  I appreciate your help.  I am in Canada so it is difficult to access too much. 

Gimpy

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 June 06 03:13 BST (UK) »
hi gimpy - yes it was a lot of work and a lot of money investigating them plus a lot of frustration - know what you mean about not having access to info - I got mine mostly from census from the scotlandspeople website and I live in Australia - so depended on the computer as I too do not have access otherwise.  If you come across Bernard Dowds in your travels please let me know what you find - Bernard was such an uncommon name then in the 1830 - I do know by the census that they came from County Down and when tracing my Flannigans came across a cousin - his grandfather and my great grandfather were brothers and I knew that my Flannigans came from Northern Ireland and he filled me in with his father telling him - that his father father (his granda) came from Newry - gosh it made my day as I had such a lot of frustration wondering where in Ireland they came from - keep at it gimpy - and if they want to be found and you have the determination to find them - you will I am sure - kind regards bambie

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 June 06 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Bambi

I found a Bernard Dowds on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com.  I am trying to remember if I saw the name anywhere else.  If I think of it, I will let you know.  Are you familiar with this site?

Let me know if this Bernard is anyone significant.  It is unusual.  So was Samuel.  That's why they stuck in my head. 

At least your efforts have paid off in information.  It's been a long time since I had any new information so I really appreciate what you have provided to me. 

Good night for now.  Gimpy

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 June 06 04:56 BST (UK) »
hi gimpy - thanks for that - no I am not familiar with this site - in fact just signed on first time when I wrote to you - and have got in contact with this guy on my cullen side of the family and wrote to him - found out I did not the wrong thing there - very hard getting used to new things and I am not the brightest person - finding it very difficult to do and do not have the time to waste trying to fathom it out - have a good sleep - keep in touch - maybe you can help me fathom out what the info I got of this other member - good night or should I say by the time you read this - good morning or as they say here "good day" - regards margaret

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 19 June 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony

I didn't realize you had answered!  You live in Belfast!  I visited Belfast in 2003, 1st time.  Loved it.  I didn't have enough information at that time to research.  I look forward to coming back one day. 

There should be a 24 Molyneaux Court or Street for 1911.  I was told by PRONI that was the address for my grandmother Maggie Dowds.  That's the name I am looking for.  I am also looking to see if my father Herbert Shaw, born in 1911, lived there after he was born. 

Later his sister was at the Hazelnut address.

Thanks for your help!  Any Dowds on Molyneaux Court or Shaws would be very helpful to me.

Gimpy

Offline Anthony

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Offline gimpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 03:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Anthony

Thanks for looking up this stuff.  This is what I got from PRONI

Maggie Dowds,

Register Number: 692,
Previous Residence: 24 Molyneaux Court,
Sex: Female,
Aged: 24,
Marital status: single,
Employment: Servant,

This was just prior to 1911.  What do you make of that?  Do you think there is an explanation??   

John Shaw living on Moffett in 1896 - I wonder how old he was?  There was a James Shaw and a John Shaw who lived at 19 Hazelnut Street according to the Ulster Covenant.  And that was 1912.  Not sure if he is the same person.  If he was, he would be a relative.  Not sure how to check that. 

I wonder why PRONI would have wrong info. 

Have you ever researched the Belfast Workhouse?

Thanks ever so much....   gimpy