Author Topic: Williamson  (Read 61898 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Williamson
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 October 12 19:55 BST (UK) »
Nobody was "sent" to Ireland as part of the Plantations. The so-called Planters were Scottish lairds who obtained land grants in Ulster and many of their tenants moved over there to better themselves, as they saw it.

Those Scots who were forcibly removed to Ulster were members of the wild and untamed Border "reiving" families like Armstrong and Graham who had always been a thorn in the side of the Scottish kings and a pest and nuisance to their law-abiding neighbours. Some Scottish Border surnames like the above two are still common in places like Fermanagh and Tyrone.

Harry

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 October 12 22:32 BST (UK) »
That's really very interesting information. Thank you.

Another Williamson relative suggested that our Williamsons originally came from the "northern isles" of Orkney and Shetland.

It would be really good to find out about their origins.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 October 12 23:43 BST (UK) »
If you do a Google search for Peter Williamson + Shetland, you'll get lots of interesting links to Shetland, including a Williamson mass murderer!

Harry

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 October 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Can someone enlighten me? I was told that the Williamsons were sent to the north of Ireland from Scotland as part of the "Plantations" But someone else said it was under another "settlement" "invasion".

I have a John Williamson with a wife Helen McColville somewhere in Ireland c1780-1820 but this line ends there.

Where do I go from here?

Judy

Where did you get the info regarding location and date of c1780-1820?

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:23 BST (UK) »
If you do a Google search for Peter Williamson + Shetland, you'll get lots of interesting links to Shetland, including a Williamson mass murderer!

Harry

Ooooh Errrr! Don't know if I want him as an ancestor! :)

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:47 BST (UK) »

Where did you get the info regarding location and date of c1780-1820?

Hi Sancti

I must confess I have had much help on rootschat before but the Williamsons have always proved a problem. It is very confusing to explain but I will have an attempt.

The dates I quoted were "guesstimates" (if there is such a word). On my gtx2 grandfather's marriage certificate dated 1 July 1855 he is 35 years old, hence 1820 for his approximate birth date in the north of Ireland. His parents, stated before, would presumably have been born in the previous century, I imagine. In the 1851 census (Twynholm) there is a John Williamson, married to a Margaret Williamson, with two sons. I did wonder if this was him as on the 1855 marriage certificate to my gtx2 grandmother, Jane Marshall, he was a widower with 2 living male children! In Family Search there is a marriage of a John Williamson to a Margaret Halliday in December 1842 at Moira, Down, which would tie in with the first born son's birth date.

How can I obtain the marriage details of this John Williamson's marriage to Margaret Halliday at Moira but even then it may not show the groom's parents details. Where were the older John Williamson and Helen McColville married? As the marriage to my gtx2 grandmother was a Roman Catholic marriage I would imagine that previous births and marriages would have been recorded in some Catholic Church somewhere in Ireland. ::)

Sorry about this complicated scenario but it's been puzzling me for years. I know that there were many records burned in Dublin in 1922 so I was just hoping that some original church documents may have been retained within the individual church buildings.

Do you think I should approach the Ireland History Society and pay for an official search?

Judy
Brown, Green - Rutland
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:00 BST (UK) »
Does the 1855 marriage give his birthplace or parish?

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 October 12 18:48 BST (UK) »
Have you traced the marriages or deaths of his 2 children to confirm his 1st wife's name?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 October 12 20:10 BST (UK) »

Harry

Ooooh Errrr! Don't know if I want him as an ancestor! :)

Judy

I should explain why I picked the name Peter Williamson to Google. I had a distant memory of reading about a Peter Williamson who was sold into slavery in the States and ended up living with an Indian tribe and participating in their raids, before coming home to Scotland and becoming a bit of a celebrity in Edinburgh. My memory was that he was a Shetlander, but in fact it seems he was from Aberdeenshire.

Still, no harm done, as my Googling the name Peter Williamson did turn up lots of links to Shetlanders, apart from the psychopath!

Harry