Author Topic: Linby Hall Swannington  (Read 6206 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Linby Hall Swannington
« on: Wednesday 18 January 06 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone heard of Linby Hall? I have a certificate for Joseph Garner, a retired shoemaker who died in 1870 aged 81. The address given is Linby Hall Swannington - registration district Ashby de la Zouch. I've looked on the Internet but none of the sites seem a likely place for my ancestor to die. I wonder whether it was a nursing home or workhouse or hospital?

I hope someone from the area will be able to help - if I know it's an institution then the informant is probably a member of staff. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: Linby Hall Swannington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 13:19 GMT (UK) »
 ;)
1888  Map if Leicestershire shows Limby Hall just to the west of Swannington .
On the map it looked a large place.If you google for Limby Hall  Leicestershire it will find it for you
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Linby Hall Swannington - solved
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ricky, you've solved the mystery. It definitely says LINBY on the death certificate, and that led me down the wrong path, as there is actually a Linby Hall elsewhere. Once you'd suggested Limby I was able to find it - on the 1861 census Joseph lived in a cottage next to Limby hall. Limby Hall seems to be filled with miners etc so I think it must be colliery property. Thanks very much - that one letter made all the difference!