Author Topic: Wolverston  (Read 6707 times)

Offline PhilipW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wolverston
« on: Wednesday 18 January 06 15:51 GMT (UK) »
In O'Harts Irish pedigrees I have discovered a family of
Wolverston of Cooldrass in Kiladreney churchyard.Hart also mentions that Capt. William Wolverston was great-grandson of Feagh O'Byrne but I have not been able to find anything else about them. I am researching
Wolverson in England and have come to a halt in 1736.
Please does anyone have any info on these Wolverstons of Cooldrass ?

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 February 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there was a William Wolverston of Stillorgan, a landowner, who also held land in Little Bray.  William was the father of a James Wolverston.

Offline fitzaoife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 July 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Philip, I am also looking for Wolverston's in Ireland. William FitzGerald 1710-1770 living Co Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford was married three times, his 2nd wife was a Miss Volverston.
regards
Aoife

Offline fitzaoife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 July 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Philip,
I have'nt been looking into the Wolverston for a while, I am not sure if you are still interested in finding out more about the Wolverston's in Ireland. I have decided to tackle this over the next few weeks. I can now tell you that  Capt. William Wolverston was the son of John Wolverston, who was the son of John Wolverston who married a daughter of Feagh O'Byrne. This John (William's grandfather) was the youngest son of James Wolverston of Stillorgan who amassed a huge fortune and his wife Margaret Archbold the daughter of Richard Archbold of Kilmacud. James Wolverston was the son of George Wolverston (Will 1608 and Eleanor Sarsfield the daugter of Patrick Sarsfield Esq of Tully. These Wolverston's were descended from the Wolferstons of Suffolk. I will let you know more or I can share the pedigrees I am building up, in say four weeks. I would love anything you have on the Wolverston, I have already collected quite alot and will be as I said gathering more in the next few weeks, in the GO, NLI, NAI and the Registry Office. If you are interested in what I have at the moment my email is (*)
regards
Aoife

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline julkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aoife,

I have discovered a daughter of Captain William Wolverson and his wife Marcella/Margery Geoghegan, Honora Wolverston, who married Bryan Stapleton of Bryan's Castle, Clare, gent., an attorney in the Court of Common Pleas. Bryan Stapleton died in 1733. I pieced the information together from deeds, Chancery and Exchequer records, historical journal items, etc.--I don't think her existence was known before this. (I descend from Bryan and Honora.) I would be very interested to know what you have found about the Wolverston family and to explain what I have found.

Julie

Offline fitzaoife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
Here are some of the pedigrees I compiled, let me know what you think and do let me know if you see any mistakes
Aoife

Offline julkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Aoife,

Thanks very much for responding so quickly and sharing the pdf. In the paragraph under Captain William Wolverston who married Marcella MacGeoghegan of Donore (p. 4 of 5), am I correct that it is talking not about Captain William Wolverston but about the O'Byrnes, including Phelim O'Byrne? That confused me a bit until I realized who it must be,

Looking forward to getting back to you with more information.

Julie

Offline julkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Here is part of what I have to establish Honora Wolverston Stapleton as the daughter of Captain William Wolverston.

Honora's aunt was Honora Geoghegan O'Brien Mathew, d. 1735 in Ennis, Clare. Honora Geoghegan was the eldest daughter of Conly Geoghegan of Donore, Westmeath, and his wife Margaret O'Brien. Honora Geoghegan's first husband was Col. John O'Brien, the third son of Murrough O'Brien, first Earl of Inchiquin. John O'Brien died in 1708/9. In 1710 she married as he second husband Thomas Mathew of Annfield, Tipperary, who died before her. Honora Geoghegan's sister Joan Geoghegan married Lt. Col. Terence O'Dempsey, and their daughter Alicia O'Dempsey was the first wife of Thomas Mac Gorman of Inchiquin. Honora Geoghegan's sister Marcella Geoghegan married "Captain William Wolverton of the County of Westmeath," according to the same historical article. These relationships are discussed in "Inchiquin, County Clare" by George U. McNamara which appeared in the Journal of the Royal Society of Irish Antiquaries 31.4 (dec. 1901), pages 357-362.

A claimant to the title of Lord Inchiquin had to prove that Honora Mathew and her first husband, Col. John O'Brien, had no children, and for that reason a certified copy of Honora's will is reproduced word for word in the House of Lords "Case of Lucius, Lord Inchiquin, Claiming the Right to Vote at the Election of Representative Peers for Ireland" (1861), which can be found online in Google Books. In her will, Honora Geoghegan O'Brien Mathew leaves a good deal of money and possessions to her "beloved niece Honora Stapleton, widow of Bryan Stapleton, gent, of Ennis, County Clare," and to Honora Stapleton's four children, whom she identifies by name: William, John, Ellen, Honora.

The smoking gun: Exchequer Court of Equity Case dated 5 Feb 1733, William Bell vs. Honora Stapleton als Wolferston, Christopher O'Brien, Thomas Gorman, William Stapleton, John Stapleton, Ellen Stapleton, Honora Stapleton, and John Hickie and his wife Elizabeth.

So Honora Wolverston Stapleton was Honora Geoghegan O'Brien Mathew's niece because she was the daughter of Honora G O'B M's sister Marcella Geoghegan who married Captain William Wolferston.

I also have reason to believe that the two Captain William Wolverstons in your pedigree are the same, but I will save that for a separate post.

Offline julkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 15 March 22 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The last half of my post appears to be crossed out--is there a length limit? Here it is, just in case:
 "Captain William Wolverton of the County of Westmeath," according to the same historical article. These relationships are discussed in "Inchiquin, County Clare" by George U. McNamara which appeared in the Journal of the Royal Society of Irish Antiquaries 31.4 (dec. 1901), pages 357-362.

A claimant to the title of Lord Inchiquin had to prove that Honora Mathew and her first husband, Col. John O'Brien, had no children, and for that reason a certified copy of Honora's will is reproduced word for word in the House of Lords "Case of Lucius, Lord Inchiquin, Claiming the Right to Vote at the Election of Representative Peers for Ireland" (1861), which can be found online in Google Books. In her will, Honora Geoghegan O'Brien Mathew leaves a good deal of money and possessions to her "beloved niece Honora Stapleton, widow of Bryan Stapleton, gent, of Ennis, County Clare," and to Honora Stapleton's four children, whom she identifies by name: William, John, Ellen, Honora.

The smoking gun: Exchequer Court of Equity Case dated 5 Feb 1733, William Bell vs. Honora Stapleton als Wolferston, Christopher O'Brien, Thomas Gorman, William Stapleton, John Stapleton, Ellen Stapleton, Honora Stapleton, and John Hickie and his wife Elizabeth.

So Honora Wolverston Stapleton was Honora Geoghegan O'Brien Mathew's niece because she was the daughter of Honora G O'B M's sister Marcella Geoghegan who married Captain William Wolferston.

I also have reason to believe that the two Captain William Wolverstons in your pedigree are the same, but I will save that for a separate post.