Author Topic: MULLALY - Mullinahone  (Read 6976 times)

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MULLALY - Mullinahone
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
These Mullally people went to Australia 1852 and 1857.
This may also help.
Maggsie

MULLALLY Mary    1857   25   Mullinahone   Michael / Ellen at Halifax , America .   
Aunt = Mrs Mary  SHEA   Ship =   Boanerges
MULLALLY Patrick   1857   22   Nenagh   Brian / Catherine living at Nenagh. Sister=Mary,Sydney:Sis=Sarah,Bungonia.   Ship =   Boanerges
MULLALLY Sarah      1852   20 Nenagh Town   Bryan / Catherine   
living in Nenagh Town   None .  R.C.   Ship =   Joseph Somes

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 23:57 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome :) It helped when I found the obituary :)
Sadly I cant connect them to my Mullaly family

Heres a bit more including the obituary

William and Bridget Mullaly arrived on 9 Oct 1856 in Portland, Victoria on the General Hewett, "with three daughters" [1] However, mysteriously there are only two daughters listed with Bridget and William Mullally:

. William Mullally 35 Labourer. Bridget Mullally 32
. Judith Mullally 7
. Margaret Mullally 2
. inf Mullaly (1856 - ) (IBOB= infant born on board) on the General Hewett

The infant born on the General Hewett was a male, Lawrence Mullaly, who died aged 6 in 1862 at Oak Park, Portland.

Also John Mullally aged 7 is missing from this list.

Mystery Solved

The missing third daughter, Catherine Cavanagh 20, turns out to be Bridgets daughter by her former marriage to Richard Cavanagh. Both Catherine Cavanagh and John Egan were also on the General Hewett. They later married, and she is the Mrs J Egan referred to in Bridget's obituary.

Portland Guardian 13 Oct 1856"

"Immigrants by the General Hewitt.  - The single females from this vessel were landed last Saturday. They are spoken of  as a suitable class of immigrants; and  much praise is given to the Surgeon Superintendant for the creditable manner in which he has brought them out. They have been open to hire at the Depot since Saturday  last. The average scale of wages is quoted at from £30 to £35 for single men; £40 to £45 for married couples, and £16 to £25 for female domestic servants."

Australia

The family resided initially at Oak Park, Portland and then "in the Western District of Victoria for 18 or 20 years" [1], and then moved to Mount Gambier, where they lived for over 40 years." [1]

Death

According to Bridget's obituary William Mullaly died about 20 years before 1915. [1] In other words about 1895. However Ancestry trees state that William Mullally died 15 May 1876, either in Adelaide or Mt Gambier. More research needed.

Bridget Margaret Mullaly nee Dwyer died on 17 Jan 1915 at Mt Gambier. She was aged 94 according to her obituary. [1] However, if she was baptised on 12 Nov 1818, she would be 103.

Her obituary states:

" for the last three years she was bed-ridden, so that her death, while not unexpected, was a happy release. The cause of her death was senility." [1]

Not surprising if she was indeed 103.

Funeral

The funeral of Bridget Mullally took place on 18 Jan 1915 and was conducted by the very Rev. Dean Ryan [1]

Obituary

Border Watch 20 Jan 1915:

Mrs. Bridget Mulally

Mrs. Bridget Mulally, a well known resident of the town for many years, died on Sunday afternoon [17th], aged 94 years. The deceased was a native of Tipperary County, Ireland, where she was born in 1821, and came to Portland, Victoria, with her late husband, Mr. William Mulally, and three daughters, in 1856. The family resided in the Western District 18 or 20 years, and then came to Mount Gambier, where they have been living for over 40 years.

Mr. Mulally died about 20 years ago, and since then Mrs. Mulally resided with her daughter, Mrs. E. English, in Claraville.

For many years the deceased was a well known figure in the town, but for the last three years she was bed-ridden, so that her death, while not unexpected, was a happy release. The cause of her death was senility.

Mrs. Mulally had four daughters - Mrs. E. English, Mrs. J. Horan, Mrs. S. Ryan, and Mrs. J. Egan. The last-named died a little over a week ago. The others survive their mother. She also leaves 30 grandchildren and 37 great grandchildren. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon, the obsequies being conducted by the very Rev. Dean Ryan, and Mr. G. Lewis carrying out the funeral arrangements.

Reference:
[1] Border Watch 20 Jan 1915

Thank you again I did not realise Catherine Cavanagh and John Egan were aboard the General Hewitt, I have all the details on there arrival in Aust. I have most of the info on John and Johanna. I was thinking could they have made a mistake on John's birth record and that could be Johanna as that would make them both 7 yrs old and they would be twins.
Barbara

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 00:19 GMT (UK) »
Yes I had much the same thought, my guess is they simply omitted to add John's name to the indent. But maybe he intended coming out later with other relatives? I guess Catherine and John were so in love they would not be separated :)

David

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Maggsi

Looked them up in Trove which has:

Empire 26 Oct 1857

IMMIGRANTS PER BOANERGES.-Notice is hereby given, that the undermentioned persons for whom passages were provided to this colony, in pursuance of deposits made in the Treasury here under the Remittance Regulations, have arrived in the Ship Boanerges, and that they will be prepared to join their friends; the single females from the Institution, Hyde Park Barracks, on and after their arrival there, and the married families and single men from the ship forty eight hours after their release from quarantine:

Name of Immigrant, ... Name of Depositor
[with others]
Mullaly, Patrick   ... Mary Mullaly
Mullaly, Mary      ... Mary Shea

David

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 03:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Babs7,
Have found Johanna's birth.
She was baptised on the 23/1/1847 Golden and Kilfeacle.
Sponser Catherine Dwyer. Ballyglassheen.
It is transcribed on A....Y
Johanna Muhathy Parents Wm Muhathy and Wert Duger

Cheers Sue

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Babs7,
Have found Johanna's birth.
She was baptised on the 23/1/1847 Golden and Kilfeacle.
Sponser Catherine Dwyer. Ballyglassheen.
It is transcribed on A....Y
Johanna Muhathy Parents Wm Muhathy and Wert Duger

Cheers Sue

Hi Sue thank you so much I am so thrilled to finally find her birthdate, no wonder I couldnt find it with her Parents names so wrong I wonder why

Thanks again
Barbara

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 November 15 00:50 GMT (UK) »
http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632729#page/72/mode/1up

Baptism register link.  Entry is near end of left page.  Very difficult to decipher.

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 November 15 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that link, even if it a terrible copy it is greatly appreciated

Barbara

Offline Mick_Dolan86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 April 17 10:09 BST (UK) »
Does anyone out there have any connection with the MULLALY(s) of the Mullinahone area. I have good reason to believe that my ancestors could well have left this part of Ireland for England and changed their name to my maiden name, MULELLY. This happened over time during the 19th C. Would love to hear from anyone looking for similar families.  Kate.

This may be of interest to you

http://stmhs.proboards.com/thread/27/ardua-ad-astra