Author Topic: MULLALY - Mullinahone  (Read 6938 times)

Offline katymort

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MULLALY - Mullinahone
« on: Thursday 19 January 06 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone out there have any connection with the MULLALY(s) of the Mullinahone area. I have good reason to believe that my ancestors could well have left this part of Ireland for England and changed their name to my maiden name, MULELLY. This happened over time during the 19th C. Would love to hear from anyone looking for similar families.  Kate.

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: MULLALY - Mullinahone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 April 09 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

I am looking for Mullaly's also, I don't know what county,
William Mullaly married Bridget Dwyer immigrated to Australia in 1856
Barbara

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this helps:

William Mullally Mullaly (4 Jun 1828 in Tipperary - 15 May 1876 in Adelaide or Mt Gambier) m.Bridget Margaret Dwyer (Bef 12 Nov 1818 Clare, Armagh, Northern Ireland - 17 Jan 1915 in Mt Gambier) dau of M I Dwyer and Johnanna Purcell

According to her obituary Bridget Mullally nee Dwyer was born in 1821 at Tipperary, Ireland. [1] Alternatively her age on the General Hewett was listed as 32 which would suggest she was born in 1824.

However both these ages may be wrong as it appears she was baptised on 12 Nov 1818 at Emly, Tipperary, Ireland, the daughter of M I (Michael?) Dwyer and Johanna Purcell. If all the dates are accurate she was ten years older than her husband, which may explain why the dates she gave made her younger than she was.

Bridget had previously married on 8 Feb 1834 at Golden and Kilfeacle, Tipperary to Richard Cavenagh. Richard Cavenagh had been born about 1814 at Tipperary. Richard is said to have died in 1870 at Thomastown, Ireland. However a story in Ancestry states "At the time of John's birth Bridget Dwyer is a Widow, they are living in Ballymore, the 2 witness were Dennis Dwyer & Emilia Davern". More research needed.

Bridget and Richard Cavenagh had a child:

. Catherine Cavanagh (c.1835 - 8 Jan 1915) m. John Egan (4 Jan 1838 Cappawhite Tipperary - 6 Jun 1917 in Mount Gambier)

If Richard Cavenagh did live to 1870 then his marriage to Bidget must have been divorced or annulled in order for her to have remarried. More research needed.

Marriage

Bridget Margaret Dwyer was married secondly on 22 Feb 1846 at Golden and Kilfeacle, Tipperary to William Mullally.

Children

William Mullaly and Bridget Margaret Dwyer had the following children:

. Johanna Mullaly ( -1922) m. John Horan (1842-1921)

. John Mullally (1849 - 1886 Dublin) there is no doubt that John was baptised to William Mullally and Bridget Dwyer on 24 Jun 1849 at Golden or Kifeacle Tipperary, Ireland. Bridget is said to be a widow in this record. He may have returned to Dublin Ireland and died there in 1886. However John Mullaly would have been only 7 when he was apparently left behind by his parents in 1856. For some reason he doesnt appear in the ship manifest with his parents.

. Margaret Maud Mullally (1854-1915) m. Stephen Ryan (1844–1904 )

. Lawrence Mullaly (1856 on board ship - 1862 in Oak Park, Portland) d.6

. Mary Agnes Cecelia Mullaly (1858 Portland - 18 Aug 1915 ) m. Edmond English of Claraville

David

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
A bit more:

William Mullally was born on 4 Jun 1828 at Tipperary, Ireland, the son of unknown Mullally and Johanna Haran or Horan. His death record is probably in error giving his father as Johanna Hara.

I am inclined at the moment to discount the theory that his father was a Thomas Mullally born 1782 in Lismalin Parish, Tipperary, Ireland who is said to have died 16 Oct 1853 in Drummond, Lanark, Ontario, Canada.

Offline babs7

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Artfox
Thankyou so much for the all that information you have given me more detail than I could wish for, I have been searching for about 15 yrs now for dates of Bridget and William, the only child's dates I have not been able to find is my ggrandmother Johanna recorded as Judith on the shipping passenger list I think it says she was 7yrs old, when they arrived maybe she was born in England. I will keeping on searching for her, it is a mystery why they left their young son behind.
Thankyou so much again
Barbara

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome :) It helped when I found the obituary :)
Sadly I cant connect them to my Mullaly family

Heres a bit more including the obituary

William and Bridget Mullaly arrived on 9 Oct 1856 in Portland, Victoria on the General Hewett, "with three daughters" [1] However, mysteriously there are only two daughters listed with Bridget and William Mullally:

. William Mullally 35 Labourer. Bridget Mullally 32
. Judith Mullally 7
. Margaret Mullally 2
. inf Mullaly (1856 - ) (IBOB= infant born on board) on the General Hewett

The infant born on the General Hewett was a male, Lawrence Mullaly, who died aged 6 in 1862 at Oak Park, Portland.

Also John Mullally aged 7 is missing from this list.

Mystery Solved

The missing third daughter, Catherine Cavanagh 20, turns out to be Bridgets daughter by her former marriage to Richard Cavanagh. Both Catherine Cavanagh and John Egan were also on the General Hewett. They later married, and she is the Mrs J Egan referred to in Bridget's obituary.

Portland Guardian 13 Oct 1856"

"Immigrants by the General Hewitt.  - The single females from this vessel were landed last Saturday. They are spoken of  as a suitable class of immigrants; and  much praise is given to the Surgeon Superintendant for the creditable manner in which he has brought them out. They have been open to hire at the Depot since Saturday  last. The average scale of wages is quoted at from £30 to £35 for single men; £40 to £45 for married couples, and £16 to £25 for female domestic servants."

Australia

The family resided initially at Oak Park, Portland and then "in the Western District of Victoria for 18 or 20 years" [1], and then moved to Mount Gambier, where they lived for over 40 years." [1]

Death

According to Bridget's obituary William Mullaly died about 20 years before 1915. [1] In other words about 1895. However Ancestry trees state that William Mullally died 15 May 1876, either in Adelaide or Mt Gambier. More research needed.

Bridget Margaret Mullaly nee Dwyer died on 17 Jan 1915 at Mt Gambier. She was aged 94 according to her obituary. [1] However, if she was baptised on 12 Nov 1818, she would be 103.

Her obituary states:

" for the last three years she was bed-ridden, so that her death, while not unexpected, was a happy release. The cause of her death was senility." [1]

Not surprising if she was indeed 103.

Funeral

The funeral of Bridget Mullally took place on 18 Jan 1915 and was conducted by the very Rev. Dean Ryan [1]

Obituary

Border Watch 20 Jan 1915:

Mrs. Bridget Mulally

Mrs. Bridget Mulally, a well known resident of the town for many years, died on Sunday afternoon [17th], aged 94 years. The deceased was a native of Tipperary County, Ireland, where she was born in 1821, and came to Portland, Victoria, with her late husband, Mr. William Mulally, and three daughters, in 1856. The family resided in the Western District 18 or 20 years, and then came to Mount Gambier, where they have been living for over 40 years.

Mr. Mulally died about 20 years ago, and since then Mrs. Mulally resided with her daughter, Mrs. E. English, in Claraville.

For many years the deceased was a well known figure in the town, but for the last three years she was bed-ridden, so that her death, while not unexpected, was a happy release. The cause of her death was senility.

Mrs. Mulally had four daughters - Mrs. E. English, Mrs. J. Horan, Mrs. S. Ryan, and Mrs. J. Egan. The last-named died a little over a week ago. The others survive their mother. She also leaves 30 grandchildren and 37 great grandchildren. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon, the obsequies being conducted by the very Rev. Dean Ryan, and Mr. G. Lewis carrying out the funeral arrangements.

Reference:
[1] Border Watch 20 Jan 1915

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Katymort

Hi I am gradually putting together my huge Mullally/Mullaly "strays" list into Ancestry. Maybe with a bit more detail from you I can use that to connect up your Mullellys, no guarantees David

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Well here's what I collected on Johanna Mullaly - David

John Horan and Johanna Mullaly
- David Fox 2014

His arrival in Australia occurred before 1868 but the dates are unknown.

The following may be relevant:

"Horan.-Bernard or John Horan, last heard of at Parramatta. Write to your brother Patrick, at Silverton, or any person knowing their whereabouts will oblige." - Australian Town and Country Journal 5 Sep 1885

Marriage

Marriage BDM SA:"John Horan son of Thos Horan married Johanna Mullally dau of Wm Mullally on 9 May 1868 at Mount Gambier - Registered at Grey, South Australia"

John Horan was a road contractor working to the Corporation of Mt Gambier:

"Mr. John Horan, contractor for the work done at South Terrace, wrote, applying for £10 for extra earth shifted on the contract. It was agreed to allow him £5, that being the sum recommended by the Surveyor and Dr. Nicholas" - Border Watch 9 May 1885

"John Horan, contractor for the metal for the street side formations, wrote, stating that he had made a mistake in his contract, and asked for 3s. a yard instead of 2s. 4d. It was ascertained that the contract price last year was 2s. 5d, so that this was only Id, per yard less. Cr. Keegan, to test the feeling of the meeting, moved that Horan be allowed 2d. per yard over his tender, or 2s. 6½ per yard. The other councillors considered it would be a bad precedent to commence, There was no seconder to Cr. Keegan'a proposition, and it was agreed that Horan should be required to complete his work on the terms already agreed upon. He had delivered about 100 yards."- Border Watch 8 Sep 1900

Johanna

"Accident.-On Saturday evening Mrs. Horan, wife of Mr. John Horan, contractor, Wallis-street, accompanied by a daughter, was crossing O'Halloran Terrace, near the Court-house, when she was run down by a cab driven by a man named Kennaway. It does not appear that the vehicle went over her, but it struck her violently on one side, and the blow and the fall caused her considerable injury. The cab went on its way after the collision, but some boys who witnessed the occurrence whistled Kennaway back, and he returned, and getting Mrs. Horan into the cab took her to her residence. Dr. MacDonald is attending her, and hopes she will soon be able to get about again." - Border Watch 2 May 1900

Children

"A child of nearly four years of age, son of Mr. John Horan, road contractor, was fearfully burned on the chest, and men, and legs oh Wednesday last by pulling a kettle of boiling water over on itself. It is recovering under Dr. Jermyn's care. - Narracoote Herald 23 Aug 1895

Marriage of daughter Maggie

"Matrimonial.-A marriage was celebrated on June 1 in the Catholic Cathedral, Perth (W.A.), by the Rev. Father Keogh, the contracting parties being Miss Maggie Horan, second daughter of Mr. John Horan, Mount Gambier, and Mr. Archie Steel, youngest son of Mr. Jamieson Steel, Mount Gambier. The bride was becomingly dressed in cream lustre, trimmed with silk braid and chiffon, hat to match. The bridesmaid was Miss Nellie McDonough, who wore cream nun's veiling and black picture hat. The bridegroom was supported by Mr. J. Leslie. After the ceremony, the happy couple drove to the residence of Mr. Leslie (a friend of the bride), where the wedding breakfast was laid. After the usual toasts had been honored Mr. and Mrs. Steel took their departure. The bride was the recipient of many pretty and useful presents from her friends of Mount Gambier, Adelaide, and Western Australia." - Border Watch 29 Jun 1901

Johanna death

"HORAN.-On June 9, Johanna (Annie), the dearly beloved daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Horan ; aged 35 years. R.I.P." - Border Watch 13 Jun 1917

Death of John

HORAN. - At his residence, Wallis Street, on Wednesday, May 18th. John, dearly beloved husband of Johanna Horan ; aged 80 years.— R.I.P. - Border Watch 20 May 1921

Stray John Horans

NHILL. September 13.— Mr. John Horan, a respected resident of Rupanyup, died in the private hospital to-day. He had been suffering from cancer. He was the manager for Miss, Florence's property.- Chronicle Adelaide 25 Sep 1909

"HORAN.-On June 29, at the Mount Gambier Hospital, John Horan: aged 89 years. R.I.P."

- Border Watch 6 Jul 1926

FUNERAL NOTICE.      The friends of the late John Horan are respectfully informed that his remains were laid to rest in the Catholic portion of the New Cemetery on Wednesday last, June 30. R.I.P. - Border Watch 6 Jul 1926

THE BROTHERS and SISTERS of the late John Horan sincerely   THANK their many friends for kindness and sympathy in their sad bereavement ; also Dr. King and Staff of Public Hospital, for kindness and attention.27 Jul 1926

Offline artfox

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Edward Lawrance death

"Tragedy at Coola.

ACCIDENTALLY SHOT DEAD

"Information reached Mount Gambier late on Thursday afternoon, by telephone from Coola, that that day a young man named Edward Lawrance Horan, a labourer at Coola, had been shot dead in an accidental manner on the estate. It was said that he, with two other men, one of whom carried a loaded rifle, were crossing a wire fence, when something caused the rifle charge to explode, and the bullet struck Horan in the chest, and passed through his heart, causing instant death. Immediately on receipt of the intelligence. Plain-clothes Constable White rode to Coola to make enquiries. He remained there for the night, and returned to the Mount this afternoon. Horan was a married man, and leaves a young widow (formerly Miss Pudney) and an Infant child, who reside in Mount Gambler. He was the youngest son of Mr. John Horan. sen., of Wallis-street, Mount Gambier, and was well known here, having having the last ten years been employed at various places in the town. He was 29 years of age.

"The evidence collected by Constable White shows that the rifle was carried by the deceased himself, and that in crossing a wire-netted fence it was accidentally discharged.

"Arthur John Humphries stated 'I am a station hand employed at Coola. I know the deceased, whose name is Edward Horan, and he worked with me on Coola station. To-day (July 15), at about half-past 2 o'clock, the deceased, Alexander Cameron Kennedy, and I were out in the Coola paddock, about three miles from the homestead, engaged in killing rabbits. When crossing from one paddock to another, about 200 yards from the deceased, I heard the report of a rifle, and looking towards the deceased I saw him fall into Kennedy's arms. The deceased had been carrying a Winchester rifle. l ran towards the fence where deceased and Kennedy were. The deceased appeared to be dying, and never spoke. The deceased was at the side of the fence, and the rifle was leaning against it on the other side. The fence is a wire-netted fence, with two plain wires and a barb on top.'

"Alexander Cameron Kennedy stated 'I am a station hand employed at Coola, and know the deceased. To- day (Thursday) John Humphries and I were out in the Coola paddock, about three miles from Coola homestead, killing rabbits. When crossing from one paddock to another I heard the report of a rifle. I was only a few paces from the fence at the time. I heard the deceased call out "I'm shot through the heart." I ran towards him, and heard him say "I am done." Deceased fell into my arms, and never spoke again. He appeared to be dying. A rifle was leaning against the fence on the opposite side to that where deceased was lying. Horan had been carrying a Winchester rifle.

"On this evidence, Constable White reported 'I have the honor to report that Edward Horan, aged 29 year, laborer, was killed by a rifle shot at Coola, about 2.30 p.m. on Thursday, July 15, 1920. I examined the body of the deceased, and found a puncture wound about an inch to the right of the left breast."

"Mr. W. Edkins, J.P., manager of Coola Station, having perused the evidence of Humphries and Kennedy, and the report of tho constable, and visited the scene of the tragedy and inspected the body of the deceased, gave it as his opinion that the deceased met his death in consequence of a rifle shot, accidentally discharged by himself. He did not consider an inquest necessary, and gave a certificate for burial." - Border Watch 16 Jul 1920