Author Topic: Elizabeth Sellen/ Jacob Lowing  (Read 3693 times)

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Sellen/ Jacob Lowing
« on: Thursday 19 January 06 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to confirm the origins and parentage of Elizabeth Sellen (1857-1880). She was the first wife of Jacob Lowing (1858-1904) and married him in 1879 in Charlton, Woolwich,Kent. Her marriage certificate has her as the daughter of John Sellen, a Waterman. There is no provision for the mothers name on the certificate. Elizabeth died of TB at 28 Anns Place, Charlton, Woolwich at the reported age of 23. She had only been married for 4 months.
In summary I would like to know when and where she was born and her mothers name.
Hope someone out there can link to the Sellen/Lowing surnames

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Sellen/ Jacob Lowing
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 January 06 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you found them on any census?
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 January 06 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your very prompt response. I have not tried the census because I hoped that someone out there may already know the answer. I realise that is a bit of a 'cop out' on my part and I may eventually have to do what you suggest. In the meantime I have my fingers crossed.

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 January 06 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I've had a quick look but can't see any obvious candidates.
There  is a Thomas SELLEN,waterman, wife Elizabeth and Daughter Henrietta living in Gravesend in 1871.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 January 06 10:53 GMT (UK) »
The best matches seem to be:
1871 Elizabeth  SELLING aged 15 with ?her
 brother Thomas 8 both scholars and born Chatham and living in the workhouse

1861 Sarah SELLEN head widow aged 28 and working as a boot binder
 James 9, John Charles 7 and Elizabeth Jane 4 all born Kent Kent! ( I think the enumerator went a bit mad with his dittos)
The were living at ? ? alley off Chatham High St.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline TikTokToo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 January 06 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Bearkat,

I am very grateful for all your help on my queries.
The Thomas Sellen, Waterman is interesting because of the occupation link. It led me to check Elizabeth's marriage cert. in 1879 and her father is definitely John Sellen,Waterman. Her age is described as 'full'. There is nothing else on the MC to assist identification.
I have also double checked her death cert. It merely confirms that she was the wife of Jacob Lowing, age 23, dying at 28 St Anns Place, Charlton. The informant was her sister in law who was also called Elizabeth Lowing.
There are obviously some potential difficulties with the variant spellings of the Sellen name. The Selling you have highlighted is one of many.
To add further to the confusion there is a possibility that she was born in Tylers Green, Buckingham, England about 1853. This is an IGI entry in which the transcriber apparently managed to conclude that she married a William Pullen. I believe that William married somebody else in Woolwich around the same time. For that reason I am suspicious of the Buckingham connection.
Thanks again for your comments.

John

Offline linda mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 January 11 17:39 GMT (UK) »
The most likely Candidate for this lady would be: Elizabeth Jane SELLEN registered  in the March Quarter of 1857,  baptised 20 feb 1858 at St Mary's Chatham, duaghter of James Richard Sellen (Mariner)and Sarah BATH (boot binder in the census).  The only othe Eliza born about this time married Thomas MOORE in 1876, her father was William Robert SELLEN (Waterman). I have a One Name Study for the SELLEN, SELLING names, please contact me for further information.

Offline Soavey0100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 January 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I am the great great granddaughter of Jacob lowing if you would like to know anything about him or even to see a photograph of him but I have no more information on Elizabeth sellen apart from what you have
Avril

Offline linda mary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 January 11 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes please I would like to know about him, please contact me at : sellen@one-name.org
Thank you