Author Topic: PENNYFATHER, All  (Read 4403 times)

Offline Penfold Genealogy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PENNYFATHER, All
« on: Wednesday 14 January 04 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Have a large amount of data to share on the surname Pennyfather (and variants).  Would be most interested to be contacted by anyone researching the name.
Trevor Penfold
Researching: Penfold & Pennyfather

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Pennyfather
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi !!

I have a Mardell married to a Pennyfather in Ayot St. Peter and the parents living in Tewin, Herts.  Not too many details on them at the moment as I am concentrating on the Mardell side.

Kind regards
Hoppity
Mardell - Hertfordshire
Sales - Kent and Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 04 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Hoppity,

Thanks for your message ref Pennyfathers.

Could you provide any dates and names for these Pennyfathers.
I have transcribed the BMD indexes for Pennyfathers if you want a copy please let me know.

Best regards,

Trevor Penfold
Trevor Penfold

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 04 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor!!

Thank you for replying.

Ann Pennyfather was born c. 1839 (bap 10.3.1839)Welwyn.  She married James Mardell on 13.6.1858 Ayot St. Peter.  They had 10 children: Sarah Ann Mardell b.28.10.1858, John Mardell b. 18.9.1859, William Mardell b. 14.9.1870, George Mardell b. 31.5.1873, Charles Mardell b. 9.11.1876, Letty Mardell b. 2.2.1879, Margaret Mardell b. 10.3.1861, Rosa Mardell b. 3.8.1865, Emma Mardell b. 2.11.1867, James Mardell b. 18.4.1881, all in Welwyn.

Ann Pennyfather's mother and father were John Pennyfather b. c. 1796 Tewin, and Ann Harris b. c. 1803 Ware.  I have found two other children; William Pennyfather b. c. 1841 Welwyn and Rosannah Pennyfather b. c. 1847 Welwyn.

As far as I can make out John Pennyfather's parents were Thomas Pennyfather and Elizabeth ??, but I have no details on these as yet.

I hope this information helps.  I would be very grateful if you could send me the indexes.  It would be of great help.

Thank you.

Kind regards
Pauline  :)
Mardell - Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 04 17:12 BST (UK) »
Pauline,

Thank you for the information.

Would you please let me know your email address so that I can send you the indexes.

Also I coordinate a Pennyfather email list that you might like me to put you on.

My email address is
Moderator Comment: Email Address Removed to avoid Spamming - use a Personal Message to contact this user

I look forward to your response.

Best regards,

Trevor
Trevor Penfold

Offline Hoppity

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Faithful Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 October 04 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor !

Thank you for coming back to me.  I have sent you an e-mail.

By the way there are an awful lot of Pennyfather's buried in the Digswell church.  The original church was destroyed by fire, along with some of the records, but a lot of them still remain.

Kind regards
Hoppity
Mardell - Hertfordshire
Daniels - Hertfordshire
Sutton - Kent
Stagg - Hertfordshire
Pilcher - Kent
Goldsmith - Kent

Offline jbee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PENNYFATHER, All
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 March 07 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor,

I am looking for information about a possible marriage between John Pennyfather / Pennysather and Joan Clark that may have taken place at St Mary, Maldon, Essex, about 1560. Any chance you have data about this?

Thanks,

Jack
ANDREW, BAYNES, BEECHING, BRAY, CLEGHORN, COLE, EDWARDS, FLEXMAN, GALSWORTHY, GARTON,  LOCKETT,  MOCKFORD, QUANCE

Offline perthman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PENNYFATHER, All
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 August 15 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi. As this thread dates back to 2004, I hope someone is still watching!

It seems that one branch of my family may intersect with the Pennyfathers in 1751. I am confident that we connect to:

26 Aug 1815 Sarah Bunes born Welwyn, Hertfordshire; father Henry Bunes (Labourer); mother Charlotte

and it seems very likely that her parents were:

Henry Bunts (otp) and Charlotte Mardell (of Welwyn) married in Digswell, Hertfordshire on 16 Jul 1814. Digswell is 1 mile from Welwyn.

It appears that Charlotte was

Charlotte Mardall baptised in Welwyn, Hertfordshire on 15 jun 1794 ; father William and mother Sarah

and that her parents were

William Mardal (otp, makes mark) and Sarah Tingey (otp, makes mark) married on 4 dec 1787 in Welwyn, Hertfordshire.

And it seems very likely that Sarah was

14 Jly 1765 Sarah Tingew baptised in Digswell, Hertfordshire; father Benjamin Tingew, mother Mary.

whose parents were perhaps

27 Oct 1751 marriage Benjn Tingey (of Digswell) and Mary Penneyfather (of Datchworth) in St Albans, Abbey, Hertfordshire.

Is more known about this Mary? It seems reasonable that she was:

31 Dec 1732 Mary Penyfather baptised in All Saints, Hertford, Hertfordshire; father William Penyfather, mother Elizabeth

and married at age 19, Hereford to Welwyn 7 miles.

I can't find a William/Elizabeth marriage but there were two possible Williams:

21 Jly 1700 Will ye son of Edw. & [blank] Pennifeather [baptised in Welwyn, Hertfordshire]

and

22 May 1709 Wm Pennifather baptised in Little Berkhampstead, Hertfordshire; father Wm Pennifather, mother Ann

Little Berkhampstead is 8.5 miles from Welwyn.

Can someone please confirm or refute or shed more light on these people?

Regards
Perthman