Author Topic: name interests in swansea  (Read 5646 times)

Offline egyptian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
name interests in swansea
« on: Saturday 18 September 04 16:34 BST (UK) »
hello, my interests are richards ,holborow from waunarllydd
 & thomas`s from oystermouth especially john thomas the mumbles lighthouse keeper
   have got rather stuck lately can anyone help ?????
holborow ,gee, richards, thomas, allridge, hollingworth, clements, beard,williams,beard,green,

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: name interests in swansea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 04 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.  :D
At what time are you researching in this area?
I have searched the 1861 Census for Glamorgan and there are no Holborow (& variants) in the Swansea area. Here are the entries in Cardiff & Rhondda
Glamorgan Family History Society 1861 Census CD

4032 078 099  LOVE LANE 34           HOLBOROW EDWARD            LG U  28    IRL -                           
4063 066 091  RHONDDAFACH            HOLBROW MARY               WI M  34    DEV HARBERTON                   
4063 066 091  RHONDDAFACH            HOLBROW WILLIAM            SO -   4    GLA YSTRADYFODWG               
4063 066 091  RHONDDAFACH            HOLBROW WILLIAM            HD M  38    GLS EVENING [AVENING]           

I would need more specific details to search for John Thomas & any possible family of his.

Hope this may help you

Offline egyptian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 September 04 16:34 BST (UK) »
hi, john thomas married ann ? in 1812, he was the mumbles lighthouse keeper. thomas & ann had 7 children some of which were born in the lighthouse
  their children were
  jane b.1814
  david b. 1816
  william b.1821
  marianne b. 1823
  martha b. 1825
  walter b. 1827
  thomas b.1831  d.1913

this is all the info i have on john thomas not finding him easy
  thanks
holborow ,gee, richards, thomas, allridge, hollingworth, clements, beard,williams,beard,green,

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 September 04 10:07 BST (UK) »
Are you in Swansea? If you are , go to the library in Mumbles they hold a lot of snippets of records/information  there with  some of the history of mumbles. I have a few who were on the lifeboats, and one  who was captain  of the lifeboats for a time ( the librarian found a record for my mother -in-law , who lives  in mumbles today ,  for him), another ancestor had had a pub there, but most were mariners, farmers/landowners in the area , and oysterdredgers . I'm really getting the furthest with my Husband's Oystermouth/mumbles lines  because of the amount of history that area  seems to hold, plus the small size of the area.

My husband's mother who  was born in oystermouth ,  her  fathers side  come from Oystermouth on both lines. A few of those  lines ,we have actually gone the back the furthest  so far  to a family called the  bydder's in the 1600's in Newton  . I'm finding Oystermouth and mumbles area  one of the easiest to research. I wish my own family came from there :) . My husband is lucky with his tree and oystermouth families.

If you are not in the UK,  no worries, there are other means. Mumbles holds a lot of history, and you could also try emailing "the Mumbles book" web site and ask them for some info/help, you may get lucky. It may be worth a try.

There is a J Thomas lighthouse keeper  (* but it's 1900's)

Mumbles
Pre-1841 Glamorgan Oystermouth The Mumbles light was established by the Swansea Harbour Board, and not taken over by Trinity House until after 1901
1841 Ace A (G'father), 1851-61-71-81 Ace A (Father), 1891 Ace A (Son), Morgan H, Williams J, 1916 Cottle C, Thomas J

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Lighthouses/LighthousesStations.html
 Thomas,John,Mumbles Lighthouse Keeper,1916,36

The above is from a book called "The men of mumbles head " I'm trying to get hold of the book myself (it's out of print, and I can't visit the library I'm not in the UK)  my husband's  G, G granddfather is in there "John Parker" lifeboat crew,  and a few others too.
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Oystermouth/Mumbles/MumblesLifeboat.html

( http://www.themumblesbook.com) may be some use to you as well

There is a John thomas in the 1841 census c1781 , occupation  Mariner,  oystermouth, Ann C1871 and Thomas c1831 ( which matches the   son Thomas's age  that you've given)  in one household  ( the other children could have left home by 1841) a lot of those lighthouse keepers were mariners before and after. No address sorry,  it just says  Mumbles village

There are not lot of people with the surname  Thomas in Mumbles village  in the 1841 census ( 26 people in total that I found with my search )

There is a Martha thomas who is a servant age 15 ( working at another house)  c1826( which seems to match your Martha's  age . There is only one Martha Thomas in Mumbles in 41. There is also  William c 1816 and this william's , occupation  is also mariner. He is living with a  Mary Thomas ,  occupation housekeeper c1776 . It dosen't say the relationship in the household, so there is no way to tell if this is his mother or his Aunt )

Marianne , Walter and Jane Thomas   I can't find  those names in Mumbles in 41 ,the girls may be there somewhere under their new married name. The rest of the boys  "David' may have moved out of Mumbles , or maybe  out at sea on census night, or even died

Could be yours, may not be either. But the ages seem to be matching up. So it may give you something to check up on.

It may also be worth  you doing a search in  google with the  persons name , and  the word Oystermouth or Mumbles, it can bring up some results that may be relevant to the family you are looking for.

Hope that is of some help to you.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 September 04 10:34 BST (UK) »
hello, my interests are richards ,holborow from waunarllydd
 & thomas`s from oystermouth especially john thomas the mumbles lighthouse keeper
   have got rather stuck lately can anyone help ?????

I have searched the 1841 Glamorgan Census for you and cannot find a match by using all the name you gave in your other post. There were only 2 matches to the name Walter and neither was a match to yours.

Upon searching the Glamorgan 1861 Census:
I found no exact match, there was a John and a Jane Thomas living in Morriston but I doubt this is the entry you are looking for