Author Topic: Samual Joseph COX of Wycombe?  (Read 11789 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samual Joseph Cox,of Wycombe?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 23 February 06 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Considering Samuel Cox is missing on the 1861 and 1871 censuses  this family might be worth having a look at.

1861 census RG9 858 folio 40
Spittal Street Great Marlow  Buckinghamshire
James Cox 57 Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, Head Married  Farmer
Ann Cox 64 Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Wife Married
Joseph Cox 31  Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Son  Farmer's son
Sophia Harris 26  Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Daughter  Married
Anne East 13  Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Granddaughter 
James East 11  Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Nephew 
Samuel Harris 1  Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Grandson 
Jemima Pobjoy 27 Henley, Oxfordshire,  Visitor Unmarried

1871 census RG10 1405 folio 54
Bear Lodging House Chapel Street Great Marlow  Buckinghamshire   
Sophia Harris 38  Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Casual Lodger Married Needle woman
Samuel Harris 10  Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Casual Lodger
Matilda Harris 7 Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Casual Lodger

Nothing for Samuel after 1871.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrinkly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 February 06 11:26 GMT (UK) »
 ::)

Offline wrinkly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Posted a reply yesterday but looks like a messed it up as all there is is a smiley.
Lessanne Thanks for offer of more help. Please read my reply to Valda
Valda. You may have give me a lucky break.
I am doing this research for my mother in law who was a COX. She remembers tales that her surname should not be Cox but in fact Harris.There is no sign of a Mr Harris in your post so it is possible he died or left. Samuel then adopted the name COX

My lucky break seems to have stopped as I looked for a birth cert for Sam Cox or Harris 1858-60, but neither BMD or 1837 showed anything. I did get a reference for Sophia Cox marring a Daniel Harris in Eton 3a 527 Dec 1852. Eton is in Buckinghamshire.
I believe it would be highly unlikely that any name change would have been recorded.
I am now at a lose as to where to go except to try a post under the Harris name . Would a look up of Sophia 1841 and1851 give me any more clues?.
Any help advise gratefully accepted.

Offline wrinkly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:37 GMT (UK) »
TATI
Marriage cert gave Caroline's father as William Cox, Wheelwright which does seem to tie in with your 1861/71 find. I will persue
Thanks

Thinking more about the Harris route. Samuel gave his father as Samuel Cox on marriage cert. Could he have lied or is the Harris route wishful thinking as I do like finding skeletons

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 February 06 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Wrinkly - my number one advice as far as family history is concerned: always trust Valda.
She didn't even know about the Harris bit and now you confirm your mother in law knew about it.

I don't think Sophia would have said she's married in both 1861 and 1871 if her husband was dead. I'd rather think he deserted Sophia (or she deserted him). I can see only one Daniel Harris in Buckinghamshire in 1851 and 1861 - not sur it's him (birthplace Coleshill ca. 1827). He's married to an Elizabeth by 1861, with children born from 1853 on, living in Amersham.

Unfortunately, little Matilda seems to die in  December 1872.

Why not order the marriage cert to check if Sophia's father matches?

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 February 06 13:30 GMT (UK) »
HO 107 1719 folio 435
Great Marlow  Buckinghamshire
Joseph East 69  Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Head Married Gardener
Ann East 67 Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Wife  Married  
William East 31  Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Son Unmarried Gardener
James East abt 1827  Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Son  Unmarried Gardener
Ann Tubb 26 Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Daughter  Widow
William Tubb 4 Medmenham, Buckinghamshire, Grandson  
Frederick Tubb 10 mths  Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Grandson  
Sophia Cox 17  Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire,  Granddaughter  Satin Stitch worker

HO107 1719 folio 453
Spittal Street Great Marlow  Buckinghamshire  
James Cox 44 Wycombe, Buckinghamshire,  Head  Married Married Farmer of 35 acres employing 3 labourers
Ann Cox 54  Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire, Wife Married

Considering the age of Sophia's parents the grandparents don't seem quite old enough?

Presuming Sophia did actually get married, Samuel if he never knew his father may have got his name wrong on his marriage, thinking he had the same first name as his own (that doesn't mean I think the Eton marriage is correct - there are two Harrises marrying there and the odds are it is to each other).

Sophia's father James was a farmer. He may have left a will on his death so that might be worth checking for. James had remarried by the time of the 1871 census and seemingly again by the 1881 census. This I think is his death registration

James Cox 80 March Quarter 1886 Wycombe volume 3a page 444

Matilda Harris the other child I think may have died young (but be very careful - Harris is such a common surname)

HARRIS, Matilda Death aged 9 December Quarter 1872 Wycombe Volume 3a page 299

Great Marlow parish registers are not on the IGI so it may very well be worth checking them as the children may have been baptised but not had their births registered.

In the end this family may prove a blind alley, but at present it is the only blind alley you have and with the intriguing family memory about the surname Harris it seems worth exploring if only to eventually eliminate them.

Regards

Valda

Offline wrinkly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 February 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Just got back from taking MIL home . Once again you both have given me food for thought. I was going to send off for the marriage cert. unless either of you advised me otherwise. Just printing of the posts so that I can study them.Hope then to respond again.

ps My sister in law has developed an interest and is coming tomorrow. One day i will be able to get on with my tree.
Thanks again Take care.
G

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 February 06 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Why would Sophia marry out of her own parish in Eton district?

If you access the parish registers for Great Marlow you should find Sophia's baptism which will also tell you whether her name was Sophia Elizabeth and may be other information besides such as Samuel's baptism and therefore his father's name. With that information you could make a decision about getting the 1852 marriage or not.

If you can't get to Buckinghamshire Record Office then I suggest you request a search of the parish registers. That will cost money (you could ask Buckinghamshire Family History Society whether they could suggest someone because that would be cheaper than an archivist from the record office checking the registers) but perhaps in the end it will save you the £7 cost of the marriage certificate if the parish registers prove you would have been wasting your money!

Regards

Valda

Offline wrinkly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 February 06 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again. I can get to the parish registers and will do so when I get a chance which hopefully will be April as March is out.