Author Topic: Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History  (Read 20120 times)

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History
« on: Saturday 21 January 06 11:41 GMT (UK) »
In my research I have uncovered that my ancestors were the publicans of the Old Cross Inn at Ammonford (formally Cross Inn Village) parish Llandebie for some time and lived onsite.
The following recorded them as publican of the Inn:
John CLEMENT - 1861C & 1871C (died 1873, 82)
Hannah CLEMENT, his wife - 1881C (died 1888, 87)
Anne JONES, their widowed daughter - 1891C & 1901C (died1919, 91)
William MORRIS, their son-in law (wife Sarah clement) -commercial directories 1910 & 1914. They died 1944 and 1925 respectively.

So I am interested in the following:
1. Check the 1841c for who  as publican and living at Old Cross Inn (OCI).  The Clements were found elsewhere at this time so maybe inherited from a related family.
2. Does anyone have any history or old photos of the OCI around the times mentioned.
3. If someone living in Ammanford could take digital photo of the inn as it is now and send to me.
4. Is there any directories or publican licence records that could confirm when OCI was in my ancestors ownership outside the census period.

A big wish list but any additional knowledge would be gratefull.
Thanks,Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 January 06 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Oops I mean't check 1851c not 1841c.
Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 January 06 23:30 GMT (UK) »
I have looked through various indexes for Cross Inn in Ammanford (Cross Inn) and i think this is it in 1851

It is the first dwelling Cross Inn (schedule number 1) of HO107/2471 page 1 (folio number not shown)

William Howells - head - Inn Keeper - 44 - Llandilo, Carms
Ann Howells - wife - 44 - Llandybie, Carms
Gweny Ann Morgans - Niece - 4 - Llandybie, Carms

There were 5 servants and 2 lodgers

Will send you a photo at weekend, send me your email on pm

David

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 February 06 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David for your search and offer to take a photo of the inn. I will send you my details. I can't as yet see any family connection to the Howells although Hannah's maiden name was Morgan.
Tim

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 December 07 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Don't know if this is of any interest, but it was my Great Grandfather Evan Evans who built the Arcade and buildings opposite the Cross Inn in Ammanford. Visited it in July this year lots of old photographs on the wall. Although have to say not the greatest pub in the world today! :)
Evans, Davies,Moore, Repingtion, Herbert, Cousins,Williams

Offline annlwall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tim

John and Hannah Clements were my 3XG grandparents. I plan to visit the Cross Inn area in January 2009. So please share any further information you have.

Ann

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 December 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann,
I hope we can share information. I have sent you a PM with my email address. Here is some information which I hope confirms the same Clements.
John Clement
c:12Feb1792, St Teilo, LlandelioTalybont parish Glam
d:3Mar1873(82), Ammanford, Carms
Married: 18Jan1825, Llanedy parish, Carms
Hannah Morgan
c: Unknown
d: 15Mar1888(87), Ammanford, Carms
They had three children(that I know):
John b:abt1825
Ann b: abt1828 - I am a descendant from her
Edward b: abt 1831
Who do you descend from? Look forward to hearing from you.
Tim

Offline 73cph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Terry Norman has a good site on Ammanford with many pictures.

www.terrynorm.ic24.net or just put in Ammanford.

The history section at the end gives the fate of the 4 inns that formed the Cross Inn cross roads.
Ambrose of Llanfynydd/Golden Grove. Arthur of Abergwili. Evans/Thomas of Brechfa, Griffiths/Rees/Owen/Clement of Bettws and Ammanford. Thomas of Rhoscoch, Llanilar. Martin of Standon/Whitmore, Staffs. Almond/Lewis of Owston Ferry. Richards of Llandebie

Offline HiawathaMorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Tim,
My 4th Great Grandfather, William Morgan (1756-1835), and his wife Sarah Thomas(?) (1758-1858) had seven children. The third was named Hannah, and she married someone named Clements. I nothing else about him, or their children. These Morgans lived at Tyllwyd, in Llanedy Parish. Their grandson Lewis and his family came to the U.S. in 1872. This is my first post, so I can't send you a PM, but I'd like to share information about the Morgans and the Clements.
Wales: Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire
Morgan, Rees, James, Parry, Thomas, others