Author Topic: Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History  (Read 20201 times)

Offline HiawathaMorgan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Old Cross Inn, Ammanford-1841c/History
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 March 09 21:46 GMT (UK) »
This may be of interest...it's a hand-drawn map of the area south of Ammanford. It Includes "Cross Inn" and part of Llanedy Parish. It was drawn by a Parry who married into the William & Sarah Morgan family of Llanedy Parish. (Their daughter Hannah married a Clement.)
Wales: Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire
Morgan, Rees, James, Parry, Thomas, others

Offline lisbeths

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 June 09 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I came across this post today.  My family lived in Ammanford from the mid 1800's and some of the family still live there.  I suppose by now thatsomeone has told you that there were 2 Cross Inns on the Square in Ammanford one at the corner of Wind Street and College Street and the other at the corner of Quay Street and High Street.  I have some old pictures dating back to about 1900 of the Square at Ammanford showing the Cross Inn at the corner of Wind Street and Colege Street and the row of shops leading up to the Arcade in College Street.  This Cross Inn was knocked down in the 1960's and replaced by a modern monstrosity called The Bard.  The other Cross Inn still existed in the 1990's when I left Ammanford and I believe it was still there when I last visited in 2005.  Both buildings were quite old.  I know one was always refered to as the Old Cross by my grandmother but I'm not sure which.  I never went into Public Houses in Ammanford as my family were Chapel and Teetotal officially but I know some of my Uncles used to visit the back doors in the 1950's as I was occasionally asked to keep watch for any Ladies of the Chapel for some extra pocket money. A lot of the descendants of old Ammanford families still live there some in their 80's who would be able to tell you far more about the town and local families.  I think of the Watkin- Rees and Rhys Emmanuel, Tarrs, Harries, Evans and Davies families in particular,most of whom were traders in the town during the 20th Century.  If you would like a copy of the photo let me know.

Offline StephEv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Sadly according to the South Wales Guardian the Old Cross Inn, Ammanford, closed its doors for the last time last Monday. :(
Evans, Davies,Moore, Repingtion, Herbert, Cousins,Williams

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 01:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks 'StepheEv' & 'Lisbeths' for your replies.
The Old Cross Inn that my ancestors owned - CLEMENTS then JONES then MORRIS according to census records was the one at #1 High Street. If you have any photos of this one then that would be great.
It is sad to hear the report of the inns closing. Is there any newspaper report on its closing and maybe history available for copy?
Any info greatly appreciated.
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline jobucoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 08:52 BST (UK) »
On the 3 June in the South Wales Guardian the closure of the Old Cross Inn was reported. I wil attempt to attach a link.

http://www.southwalesguardian.co.uk/news/ammanfordnews/4414871.Last_orders_at_Ammanford_town_pub/

Roy

Offline gw-r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 September 09 15:36 BST (UK) »
I have today signed on rootschat.com and was intrigued by the sketch in from HaiawathaMorgan dated 21 March 09. I originally hailed from Ammanford (Cross Inn) and my parents lived at 9/11 The Square. I would surmise that the original was sketched by John Owen Parry, an Ammanford Architect. At No 15 on the sketch he shows my grandfather's, Edward Rees' house (Bodlondeb) and at No 9 he shows Mountain Gate Inn where my great grandfather, David Watkins was the Innkeeper. John Owen Parry was also related to the Watkins.

The posting of StephEv of 1 December 07 was of interest as Elizabeth Emanuel, my great grandmother, was responsible for developing the retail buildings (through her son-in-law, Joseph Phillips) on the opposite of the Evan Evans' development on Ammanford Square. These buildings (including the original  Lloyds Bank buildings) faced the "Cross Inn" on the Wind Street side and "Old Cross" on the Quay Street side. (I believe StephEv is the son of Gordon, a contemporare of mine who practised as a photographer in Malta).

I was also interested in the posting of lizbeths, dated 2 June 09 in which she mentions the old families of Ammanford. The Watkin-Rees's and Emmanuels are part of my ancestry. I still have a sister and brother residing in the town.

I possess quite a few photographs of Ammanford circa 1910 - 1914.

Offline HiawathaMorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 December 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The 24 September post by gw-r contained several things of interest to me.

Mountain Gate Inn, where David Watkins was the Innkeeper, was previously run by the mother of Rachel Watkins: Rachel Parry (born Rachel Morgan). Rachel Parry is listed in the 1881 census as a licensed victualer at Mountain Gate. I presume that David Watkins is the same Watkins who was married to Rachel Parry's daughter. Rachel Parry's son David is the father of John Owen Parry.

Also, Rachel Morgan Parry’s mother may have been a Rachel Rees (married to William Morgan)…any connection to Edward Rees at Bodlondeb?

I'd be very interested in any old photographs of the Mountain Gate Inn. Thanks.

Wales: Carmarthenshire, Pembrokeshire
Morgan, Rees, James, Parry, Thomas, others

Offline gw-r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 December 09 17:19 GMT (UK) »
In response to HaiawathaMorgans posting of 05 Dec 09, the following should be of interest:

Rachel (Morgan) Parry was listed I the 1851 and 1861 Censuses as wife of John Parry (Colliery Labourer) living at “Hendrewen” in the first instance and “Mountain Gate” in the second when they were shown to have 4 sons (including David Parry “Engine Driver” – the father of John Owen Parry) and Rachel Parry). Presumably John, in addition to his colliery occupation, became the Publican of Mountain Gate.  Presumably John died in the 1860s as Rachel Parry is shown as the “Publican” in the 1871 Census, “Licensed Victualler” in the 1881 Census, and “Inn Keeper” in the 1891; all entries relating to Mountain Gate.

Rachel Parry (daughter) married David Watkins (Colliery Miner) and in the 1871 Census is shown as living at “Place y Mount”, in the 1881 at “Wernoleu, Llanedy” and the 1891 Census at “Hinduisaf, Llandebie”. In the 1901 Census they are living at Mountain Gate with David Watkins’ occupation listed as “Haulier above ground and Innkeeper of pub”. David and Rachel had 4 sons and 4 daughters (including Rachel who married my grandfather, Edward Owen Rees). David Watkins died on 27 Nov 1911 and I believe his eldest son, John, took over the tenancy. Rachel died on 24 April 1924.

Edward Owen and Rachel Rees lived at “Gwalia House” which is the row of houses adjacent to Mountain Gate. The 1901 Census shows David Parry as living with them. They moved to “Bodlondeb” about a decade later. They had 4 sons (including my father, David Watkin, who became articled as an Architect, Surveyor and Civil & Mining Engineer to John Owen Parry) and 3 daughters.

I do not have old photographs of Mountain Gate but I attach photographs of David and Rachel Watkins.

Rachel (Morgan) Parry’s mother, Rachel Rees, would not have been related to Edward Owen Rees’s family. His family came from the Llanidloes area. His father, Abel Owen Rees, is shown in the 1861 Census as a “Wool Carder” living at Cwmbelan Factory, Llanidloes.  I believe he became involved with Lord David of Llandinam in the construction of the Cambrian Coast Railway where Abel Rees’s expertise was used when sheep’s wool was packed into the marshy ground around Machynllech to support the railway track. Following this, Abel Owen Rees and family moved to Llanarthney, as the 1871 Census shows him as a “Colliery Clerk”. The 1881 Census shows him as “Colliery Manager” living at “Rose Cottage, Llandebie” – the collieries concerned were the Rhos and the Wernos. Abel Owen had 4 sons and 3 daughters.

Offline emyrmorgan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 January 10 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Blwyddyn newydd dda. One of my ancestors, born in Llandybie, was the illeg. son of Phillip (Em)manuel - a miller. Phillip had another illeg child, with the same woman, called Elizabeth Emanuel b.1820/1. Could this be the same Elizabeth Emanuel that you are referring to?

Emyr