Author Topic: White Hart, High Street, Knaresborough  (Read 14446 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: White Hart, High Street, Knaresborough
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 January 06 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tricia,

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.

Yes Lucy Ann did remarry a John Sedgwick Lambert - September quarter 1862 - in Knaresborough. They moved to Tyneside where their son Walter Hibbert Lambert was born in 1868. Walter seems to have spent more time with his grandparents the Paulden's than at home, but compairing Jarrow to Knaresborough you can probably see why!

The Lambert's ran a cafe in Ellison Street, Jarrow in 1871, and by 1881 had moved to the other side of the Tyne to take over the Jerusalem Coffee House, in Clive Street, North Shields, moving back again by 1891.

Walter Lambert grew up to be a Music Hall artist and worked under the professional name of Lydia Dreams. Part of his act was as a ventriloquist and he travelled across to America to perform as well as in the UK. He was obviously very talented because he was also a painter and received a Royal Commision to paint a picture depicting all the musical artists of the period, and this painting called 'Popularity' can be seen at the London Museum today.

Now this is where I fit into the picture because my grandfather was a very good friend of Walter Lambert, so much so that although my grandfather was not a music hall artist he too is in the picture, coming down the stairs of an open top bus. Walter also included his wife and children although none of them have their names on the diagram which tells you who is who in the picture. My father could recall the picture as it was being painted in the 1930's as both families lived in Kenbury Street, Camberwell, and sometimes my Dad and his brother were privileged to a private performance where Walter had a little stage with curtains.

Through the power of the internet I have managed to find one of Walters descendent's who now lives in Australia, and it is for her (and of course myself) that I am trying to discover the family history.

This family searching lark really is time consuming but Oh so interesting, because you never know where it leads, and I have made contact with some really lovely people.

Thank you for all your help, and wishing you continued success in all your searching.
Best Wishes, Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 January 06 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for sharing all that. It's nice when they aren't just names on a census sheet. Hope your friend is pleased with all the information - they sound like a good family for 'Who do you think you are'  ;D

Lucy's dad landed on his feet - presumably he kept the wine and spirits shop

Good Luck, Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 January 06 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

I don't know what happened next to the wine & spirit shop - I feel more searching coming on!!!!!!!!

Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 January 06 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Well, as you probably know Henry is still running it in 1871 and little Walter Lambert is staying there.

Aaah,

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Offline sharm59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 December 08 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Patsy,

I have been researching the Lambert family which led me to Australia and Louie Lambert (daughter of Walter Hibbert Lambert) who married Stanley Booley.  I wonder if you have any info on the family?

regards,
Sharman

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 08 December 08 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharman,

Yes I do have contact with a descendant of the Lambert family in Australia. Please send a PM and I will see what I can do about putting you in touch with each other.

Patsy

Offline sharm59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 08 December 08 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy,

Thank-you for answering me so quickly.  Apparently I can't send a PM until I have sent several posts on RC.  Well, this is the second one, so I have 3 to go?

Re the painting Popularity, I thought it was painted 1902-1903?  I have been researching the Lambert family and have found it very interesting.  Have you any knowledge of the Griffiths family -- Walter Hibbert Lambert's wife's family?

I would love to get in touch with the Lambert descendant.

bye for now,
Sharman

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 December 08 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharman,

You will find plenty on this website to comment on so it won't take you long to have several postings.

As for the date of the painting well there by hangs a tale! It was commissioned in the early 1900's, but if you have ever managed to see the original in the London museum the sheer size and complexity of it you will be able to appreciate it took a long time to complete. All those 300 actors, singers, dancer comedians etc are pretty accurate portraits. Also Walter Lambert was known to enjoy a tipple, and it was always known by my Granddad when Walter had been given another advance of his fee! My Dad who was born in 1921 saw the work still in its various stages completion so it must have been nearer 1930 when it was eventually done.

I will contact Jenny in Australia to see how best to put the two of you in touch.

Do enjoy searching through Roots Chat, the help you will find is marvelous.

Best Wishes,
Patsy

Offline sharm59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 December 08 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Patsy, I find your posts very interesting.  I live in Canada and have not seen 'Popularity' at the London Museum but have seen it online -- it's a beautiful painting.  I wonder if Walter Hibbert Lambert did any more paintings or if this one was his life's work?  I have seen a couple by his son online, Walter Robert and one was just recently for sale on EBay.  Do you know when Walter jr.'s wife, Hilda died, by any chance?

all the best,
Sharman