Author Topic: White Hart, High Street, Knaresborough  (Read 14454 times)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: White Hart, High Street, Knaresborough
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharman,

Got your PM OK so I will see what I can do. In the meantime the only information I have about the Griffiths family is as follows

Louise Edith Griffiths born quarter ending December 1871, Kensington volume 1a page 31

This should give the name of her father, the reason why I don't know what that is by the time of the 1881 census he had already died.

Ref: RG11/39 Folio 40, page 22, Kensington Town, District 44c
6 Faraday Road, Kensington
Elizabeth Griffiths, Head, widow, aged 30 Vocalist [music] Staffordshire W. Hampton
Louise E. Griffiths, daughter, single, aged 9, scholar, Middlesex, Paddington
Nellie E. Griffiths, daughter, single, aged 7, scholar, Middlesex, Paddington
Emma Smith, sister, single, aged 17 - Staffordshire, W. Hampton
Maria C. Bell, visitor, single, aged 4 - Scotland, Glasgow

I am not sure where W. Hampton, Staffordshire is - anyone out there in "Roots Chat Land" with any ideas? It might help to pin point the marriage between Elizabeth who I am guessing was Smith before her marriage and Mr. Griffiths.

One possibility is William Griffiths married either Elizabeth Smith or Ellen Byfield in the quarter ending March 1867, Dudley, volume 6c page 133, but if he was also a music hall artist, similar to her being a vocalist, then they could have been working anywhere in the country when they met!!!!!

We might have to start a new thread as this has now moved from Yorkshire to Staffordshire!

Hope this is of some help.
Best Wishes,
Patsy
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Elstob, Fidler, Hunter, Strong (Northumberland)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)
Berry, Graham, Urquhart (Scotland)
Thompson, McCullough (County Down, Ireland)

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Sharman,

Forgot to mention that the Booley family are from Suffolk, and I am not absolutely sure but I think they were connected in some way to the church of St. Peter, Ipswich, which unfortunately is now redundant. However if you put a request on the Suffolk board someone may be able to give more help.

Good Luck searching,
Patsy

Barnes, Berry, Curry, Freeman, Jeffels, Nipper, Robson, Shiel, Stokell, Thompson, Urquhart,  (County Durham)
Acus, Bayes, Beech, Bell, Bird, Blaskett, Blatchly, Byatt, Daly, Farmer, Fricker, Hartelbury, Voullaire-Campbell (London)

Offline Gragareth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 13 December 08 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Patsy.   Cannot offer anything about White Hart.  However have the Knaresbro' Parish Churchyard MI recordings from recording of 1973.  Also my re-recording/checking  of 1985-89, fully indexed.  Of tombstones,  were one Pauldem, one Paulden, one Auchterlownie.  The 1973 landscaping/recording shows 60% with errors.  I spent many hours in the churchyard/seeking/ checking etc., and only one of the three above I found.   Do you want these three ?
Gragareth.
Binns, Howgate, Lister, Mountain, Pickles, Procter, Hall, at Leeds.   Bowron at Barnard Castle<br />Co.Durham.  Cordingley, Crosthwaite, Hardwick, Kilburn, Thompson, Turton,  nr Methley,Rothwell and Whitkirk nr Leeds.  Hall at Hull.  Pottage, Key, Risdale, at Lincs.<br />Links to Howgate at Wigan. Cookson at Huddersfield. Mountain at Otley area.

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 December 08 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Dear Gragareth,

Oh yes please. All information is greatfully received.

I hope you can read this because I am using a friends key board in Italy and they have different symbols!!!!!

Thanks, Patsy

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 December 08 16:21 GMT (UK) »
not sure where W. Hampton, Staffordshire is

I think that is probably Wolverhampton
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 15 December 08 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I found the story of Walter H Lambert alias Lydia Dreams quite fascinating. Interesting that he travelled under his stage name on at least one of his visits to New York - see manifest of the SS St Louis arrived New York 22 September 1906.

http://www.ellisisland.org/
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Patsy Beech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Dear ShaunJ,

Thank you for your help, and Wolverhampton sounds so obvious now you have said it.

I have just looked up by information about "Popularity" the oil on canvas by Walter H. Lambert and it gives the sizes which are 13 feet by 5 foot 6 inches. (375.9 x 160cm) Quite some size! No wonder he took a while to paint it, and no doubt was still doing his act at the same time as you say he was off to America in 1906.

The Museum of London published a postcard of the painting a couple of years ago - it might still be available - but to get it onto a postcard they 'trimmed' the edges and in so doing cut off on the left hand side artist number 207, Harry Ford, who just happens to be holding a poster advertising Lydia Dreams as top of the bill! Obviously if you did not know that Walter H. Lambert & Lydia Dreams were one and the same person the message would be lost.

One day when I get out my best glasses and a microscope I will type out the list of names with the corresponding numbers as people out in 'Roots Chat Land' might well have relatives among them, but the writing is tiny and will take a long time.

Thanks again for your help.
Patsy

Offline sharm59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 21 December 08 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Would anyone know who Walter Hibbert Lambert's second wife was?  Florence ??   They were together in 1909 and onward.

Thanks for any help,
Sharman

Offline Nitro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 20:16 BST (UK) »
Replying to Patsy On Popularity Painting

Firstly nice story for your father to tell you but I'm really afraid to tell you it isn't true in the fact he was in the popularity painting that is
It was painted from 1901 and finished by 1903 and Lambert signed it as so in the bottom right corner (see link below)

Now this is where I fit into the picture because my Grate grandfather Peter Cannon (Bella and Bijue) (close Friend to Walter Lambert) and is right In the center of the popularity painting was the owner of this painting in 1903 when it was finished this is stated at the museum of London and on there website where it is placed at the moment and it seems received a Royal Commision to paint This picture isn't true eather I'm afraid

So I guess if your father was born in 1921 and my Graet grandfather died in 1914 even if the date was wrong some how it was finished before 1914 meaning its still imposable he was in it

I Really Am Very Sorry to spoil your fathers story for you but these are the facts

Oh and as of today anyone intrested in seeing the Popularity Painting And the Key in Full on the web its now available  And Please no requests to the website for a copy no mater who you are as this will not be granted you can buy prints at the museum of London or on there website         
                                      Link To view the popularity painting below enjoy

http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/EraObitFiles/mol.htm                                 

Peter Cannon