Author Topic: Frances Bolton born Ireland 1837  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Frances Bolton born Ireland 1837
« on: Sunday 22 January 06 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have been researching Frances Bolton. In the Lancashire Census returns for 1871 and 1881 she states that she is born Manchester but when I get to 1861 she says that she was born in Ireland.

I have Frances' marriage certificate in 1856 where she states to be a spinster of 19 years, father John Bolton Cabinet Maker.

I can not find Frances or John before the 1861 census living in Wales or England. I have tried using Francis/Frances and Bolton and Bolton.

I have had a search of the IGI On-line and found a christening of Frances Bolton 07 AUG 1836   Kilsaran, Louth, Ireland along with two other siblings also in Kilsaren one

I am not too sure what to do now  :-\

Mrs Mac
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Bolton born Ireland 1837
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 January 06 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mrs Mac,
I'm not sure either what you should do but if you are right with your Frances then here's a bit more information:
http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php   this site has a John Bolton  at Castlebellingham for Griffiths Valuation which was 1850s.
Another site states that Kilsaran is just outside Castlebellingham.
Then on http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/IRL-LOUTH/2003-10/1065451483  there is a Church of Ireland baptism list with Frances Bolton on it.
This is of course all supposing that it is Frances of 1871/81 censuses.
Best wishes
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 January 06 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thank you very much for your reply.

The louth archive you sent me is very interesting also showing the baptisms of the two other siblings John Joseph and William Bolton Twins born 1834.

As you say the big question is ....are they the same family ???

I have checked for William and John Joseph who do appear in later Lancashire Census for the right dates but they too just say Ireland.

The link for John Bolton is interesting again as my geography is poor of Ireland.

Gosh this is very exciting considering I expected so little. How on earth can people be sure on their Irish Ancestors. This is very appreciated.

Thank you once again.

Mrs Mac
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 08:27 GMT (UK) »
That is hopeful in that the two brothers were also in Lancashire but there is always the but....   I suppose if you could connect your Frances with the brothers through happenings in England maybe...
Hopefully someone might think of something better.
Best wishes anyway
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 February 11 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mrs Mac, I know it has been a while since your post on Roots Chat regards the Bolton family, but I have come across an e-book online that I have downloaded entitled "Bolton Families in Ireland with their English and American Kindred" it is written by a 'Charles Knowles Bolton'

it is some 5.5MBs in size, if you PM me I will e-mail it to you
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 February 11 21:08 GMT (UK) »
You should be able to post the e-book link on this thread.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bowman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me in the woods 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 February 11 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I have attached the link for Bolton Families,to download it click on the 'PDF' on the left and save.

http://www.archive.org/details/boltonfamiliesin00bolt

Bowman
BEARD; BAKER; TAYLOR; SMITH: BEER

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you - I have an Elizabeth Bolton who was married to Robert Shanks , living late 1700s in I think, county Down- their daughter Elizabeth married Thomas Pew and came to Scotland - it will be an interesting read, I'm sure
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 October 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hello bowman,

I have picked up on my research again and have just read your kind reply to me, many thanks for the link I will have a read to see what I can find.

Regards

BS