Author Topic: Banffshire Lunatic Asylum  (Read 16307 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Banffshire Lunatic Asylum
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 June 10 17:25 BST (UK) »
... died in the Ladysbridge Asylum that you all mention in 1968 (aged 82). How can I find out why she was actually there when she died ....

I believe that as well as patients who were suffering mental illness, there were geriatric patients in Ladysbridge.

The records are likely to be in the hands of Grampian Health Board Archives at Woolmanhill, Aberdeen. Telephone 01224 555562 or e-mail grampian.archives[at]nhs.net (replace [at] with @) You can search their catalogue online at the Scottish Archive Network website (www.scan.org.uk) by typing GB1105 in the archive reference box on the search page.

However records are normally closed for reasons of patient confidentiality for 75 years (100 years in the case of minors), so you may have to contain your curiosity for anything up to 33 years, starting now.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BlessedBe

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 June 10 17:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian............... for the info & your kind help,

I'll be long gone plus some myself by then & I'll probably be able to ask her myself!! However I might get lucky with the authorities.....fingers crossed.

Judging by the numerous photographs of the place I've seen on the internet just now, I don't understand the confidentially slant by the Archivists............as the place as it was, can be seen totally vandalised (both internally & externally). Including one showing a filing cabinet situated within, containing purported patient records strewn about for any Tom Dick or Harry to view............Goodness knows where they are now.

Anyone else have any other suggestions.....................Thanks Again for your assistance...........& Rgds SFA.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 June 10 17:57 BST (UK) »
I don't understand the confidentially slant by the Archivists

It looks as if it is something imposed on them from above.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lakeview

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I had previously noted this thread and connected with the grampian archives as suggested by Forfarian.  I received a wonderfully complete response and there was no cost to me. 

It did leave me with some further questions, but suggested I then connect with Aberdeen archives because her board at the asylum was paid by the Marnoch parochial authorities.  "All surviving poor law records for the North-East are held by Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen AB24 3UJ, telephone 01224 481775, e-mail archives@aberdeencity.gov.uk A comprehensive name index to these records is held by the City Archives and also by the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society."  I contacted them by email and received an authomatic reply that I would be contacted within 15 business days.  I am hopeful that I can get answers to the questions I have.

As for the confidentiality issue, this is likely covered by Privacy Laws, as it is in Canada, where I live.  There is a lot of information in these records which can be used for nefarious or just nosy purposes.  I have noticed that censuses seem to have different period before release in different countries.  For example, you can easily access the US 1940 census, but the UK and Canada do not release their records for 100 years. 

Buchan, Finnie, Hazel, Brebner, Burgin or Bergen, Thurlby, Doherty, Murray, Livingstone, Jennings, Peeling, Hayes

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
This reminds me to say that the Grampian Health Board archives have moved from Woolmanhill and are now housed in the library at the University of Aberdeen.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 19:35 GMT (UK) »
     For information try:   Northern Health Services Archives.

http://www.nhsgrampian.org/nhsgrampian/files/Archives%20General%20Information.pdf

Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."