Author Topic: Help! Re: Jenkins/Jones of Aberystwyth  (Read 2314 times)

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Re: Jenkins/Jones of Aberystwyth
« on: Monday 23 January 06 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to find out fathers' names from church marriage records before registration in 1837?

I am searching for further information about my G G grandfather, Edward Jenkins (a tailor) born 1813/1816 in Llanbadarn, died 22nd May 1880.  I believe he married a Mary Jones (b about 1814) in 1836 in Llanbadarn Fawr.

In 1841 & 1851 they were living in Mary St, and by 1861 they had moved to Moor St.  By 1871 they were back in Mary St, and 1881 gives Mary Jenkins as a widow.

They had 8 children, John (b 1839), Edward Jnr (b 1841), Edwin (b 1844), Thomas - my G grandfather (b 1847), Mary (b 1849), David (b 1852), Catherine/Kate (b 1858) and Maria (b 28th May 1860).  I have a copy of Maria's Birth Certificate, which is how I found her mother's name.  I know Maria married a David Baker in 1889 and had a baby, Emma, by the 1891 census, and two others before 1901.

Because of the number of Mary Joneses at the time and the commonness of all the other names, I am now completely stuck!  I'd like to go further back, if possible with Jenkins/Jones parents, and to find out more about Thomas' brothers and sisters and their descendants.  I've searched the IGI and every web site I can find, with no luck as I can't prove any more.  Davierj has already tried to help with the Jenkins family but there is no positive link.

With grateful thanks, if you can help.
Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Re: Jenkins/Jones of Aberystwyth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 08:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Iolanthe,

some marriage records have a wealth of info: names of parents, occupations, ages. Others just have the names of the bride and groom with the suffix "of full age", and "with the consent of parents".

It all depended on the clergyman who carried out the marriage.

You do have a couple of options: you could request a lookup from the Cardiganshire FHS, but you have to pay regardless of whether they find anything. You could write to the vicar in charge of Llanbadarn (I have done twice now, last time with a SAE, but still no reply). You could try the LLGC, who will look up the info, tell you whether they have found it, then you have to pay if you want the details.

The best bet would be to try Ceredigion Archives. They may be able to look up the registers without too much ado, especially considering the concrete info you have.

Good luck

D

Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline iolanthe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Re: Jenkins/Jones of Aberystwyth
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks D ap D, I'll follow up your suggestions. 

I've joined the Cardiganshire FHS in case anyone there can help, and have also sent off for a CD of church records.  Whether anything will come of it, who knows?   Any small piece of the jigsaw can come from unexpected places.

Once again, many thanks.

Aberystwyth: Jenkins, Jones, Davies
Merionethshire: Edwards, Roberts, Williams, Davies, Rowland, John
Monmouthshire: Jenkins, Lewis, Evans, Jones, Rees
Glamorgan: Roberts, Lewis
Breconshire: Jenkins, Jones