Author Topic: Queensberry House. Edinburgh  (Read 13756 times)

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
Re: Queensberry House. Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 February 13 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, ADP.  My grandfather died there in 1946, so that date comes as a relief.

Hibee
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline Edina51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 April 16 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello!
Message for Joyous57 and Aussiegirl. I live in Edinburgh and have came across some slides that contain images of your relatives William Matthew Cloonan and his sisters. There are some of his travels in Canada and America with his wife and on board the SS Sythia. I would guess they are around 1929-mid 1930s.
I did some research and then also came across this post.
Just thought you would be interested :)

Thanks

Offline Edina51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hoping Joyous57 and Aussiegirl can read my post from before.
I have some slides that contain images of William Matthew Cloonan and his sisters- sitting on a sunny porch (in Canada maybe?) My husband bought a box of slides in a charity shop and my research brought me to your posts. Would love to share them with you.

Offline buntymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 September 16 11:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any records available .I am trying to confirm the death of my great aunt there in 1939. I see it was a house of refuge then. Thanks

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 September 16 13:24 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there are any records available .I am trying to confirm the death of my great aunt there in 1939. I see it was a house of refuge then. Thanks

The death certificate (from Scotlandspeople) should tell you whether she died there.
Elwyn

Offline buntymac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 September 16 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply, I have a death certificate, but it is not clear that it is her. She belonged to Caithness. But the certificate shows no family information. I can't find any other certificate with same name .

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 September 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
Did the person who died in 1939 leave a will? That might give clues.
Elwyn

Offline Scottyaussie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 July 19 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have an elderly friend here in Australia.
She was born in Edinburgh 1926 , She dearly wants to find her relatives , Ian & Patrick McLaren ( also from Edinbrugh)
William Matthew Cloonan was her Grandfather. She fondly remember him & tells me stories of the royal mile & Holyrood house/ Palace. She had 1 sibling, a brother billy i think.
She joined the navy young, was injured in malta during the war, leaving her profoundly deaf.
She married a scotsman(1949 Service Returns) & had 2 children.
She, her hubby & her parents all came to Australia many yrs ago..& her grandfather too...i think
Aussiegirl may be interested as well as Joyous57.
Any help would be appreciated as time is of the essence.
I would dearly love to give her some news.

Edited , living person.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 01 July 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
We are not allowed to post in the RootsChat forum anything about anyone who is, or may be, still living, so I need to be a bit careful trying to answer this.

I see that William Matthew Cloonan's wife was Elizabeth McLaren, and that as someone said upthread they were married in 1899 and she died in 1937, aged 62. So she would have been born in 1874/1875. What were the names of her parents?

I cannot find the marriage of a Mr Marr to a Miss Cloonan, however. To find that you would need to see your friend's own birth certificate, which will tell you the date and place of her parents' marriage. As it's less than 100 years ago, you cannot view that certificate online.

the 1911 census lists William Cloonan, 40, and Elizabeth Cloonan, 35, in Canongate, but it lists no children with them. In 1901 there are William Cloonan, 30; Elizabeth Cloonan, 25; Mary A Cloonan, 24; and William Cloonan, 2. This is presumably the William Matthew Cloonan who was born in Newington in 1899 and died in Canongate in 1901 aged 3. There are no other Cloonan births in Edinburgh, so I am at a loss to know who your friend's mother was.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.