Author Topic: O'Driscoll William (Liam) Cork  (Read 5474 times)

Offline peggyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
O'Driscoll William (Liam) Cork
« on: Monday 20 September 04 01:02 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to look up a birth record for my late father William O'Driscoll  5 JUNE 1919
He was placed  in an Industrial school in Cork( Greenmount) in 1927 he left the school in 1935.they told him he was an orphan He came over to England circa 1945 and never returned to Ireland. He sadly died in 1985 without finding his family I have been trying to trace his family.
 I have discovered he was given someone elses date of birth and the parents he thought were his belong to this other person.
 After a search by Dublin RO a possible birth record has been found for him.
I need to check the parents of the mother shown on this birth record.
A long complicated story I know but I am desperate to give my late father the dignity of his own birth record with his real parents
This birth record which may be his shows Father Michael mother Mary nee Quilligan.
Address 5 Waltons Lane Cork.
Can anyone help me ?
Many thanks

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: O'Driscoll William (Liam) Cork
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 09:43 BST (UK) »
Hello Peggy,

Presumeably your father was born in Co Cork. Where is Greenmount Industrial School exactly?

You say the Dublin General Registry Office have searched for his birth in or around Q4 1919? Right? And possible parents are Michael O'Driscoll and Mary Quilligan in Cork City.

What I suggest is first to check the address in the Cork census 1911 in case it is a family home for one of them.

you want to find the birth of Mary Quilligan? Do you know how old she was and where she came from? Otherwise it could be a long search. You could start looking for a marriage record before 1919 in Cork. If this has an age or address, her birth would be easier to find.

Hope this helps a little.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline peggyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 18:21 BST (UK) »
Kate
Firstly thank you so much for your reply.
I have made an error in the info I gave. The birth record they found which may be my father is 5th JUNE 1919.
The date 25/11/1919 is the date of birth held on the school records. The Dublin RO searched for the years 1918 to 1920 all quaters.
They searched using the names held on the electoral roll for 1927/28 at the address 36 Hanover Street Cork my father was staying here with his grandmother when he was taken to court ON 25/3/1927 he was charged with wandering and having an unfit guardian.The court was told his father was dead his mothers whereabouts unknown. He was 7 years old. No parents or grandmothers names are on court record.
He was placed in St Josephs Industrial school Greenmount Cork.

There is nothing on the 1911 census for 36  Hanover Street.
I will try to find Waltons Lane on the census but the only Waltons lane I can trace on the web is in Macroom.
Cork RO cannot find a marriage cert for Mary and Michael in Macroom and without a date cannot search further.
No baptism records held in St Peters and Pauls or Finbarrs,St Patricks etc in Cork city.
I will get back to cork library again and ask them to search for Waltons Lane on 1911 Census.
Thanks for your suggestions. If you think of anything else Please let me know.
Kindest Regards
Margaret

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 September 04 09:29 BST (UK) »
Peggy,

Just to clarify, he was living with his grandmother but her name is not on the record?

What about searching for Mary Quigglan's birth, his potential mother? She would be born between, say 1904 and 1879. The indexes for these years are all available in your local family history centre. If you find this, you have more names and addresses and parishes to check.

Kate

Offline peggyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 September 04 19:52 BST (UK) »
Kate
Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes quite right in both school records and court records no parents or grandmothers names are given.
 Will the records for Ireland be held in the family history centre here in England?
I will look up the nearest and see what I can find.
Just heard back from Cork Library today no Quilligans at Waltons Lane in Macroom on the census only residents are named Walton!

Once again thanks for your help.
Kindest Regards
Margaret

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 September 04 09:01 BST (UK) »
It's my understanding that you can order films of any records that the LDS have folmed to your local library if they don't have them/ I've never tried it.

Kate

Offline peggyo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 September 04 10:07 BST (UK) »
Kate

I will give our local library a try. If not,after searching the web, I have found a Local History centre  in Manchester that holds the films.
I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you for all  your help and suggestions.

Kindest Regards
Margaret

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 May 08 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Peggy,

If you've had no luck to date try the Cork Driscoll / O'Driscoll site. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~colin/DriscollOfCork

Christopher

Offline marysat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 August 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
I may be able to help you. icant work this properly if u ring me on Saturday evening. imay have info for u.

(*) Moderator Comment: phone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy

Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php