Author Topic: Mackin Family  (Read 23062 times)

Offline Corky44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mackin Family
« on: Tuesday 24 January 06 21:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find information on my great grandfather, Terence Mackin.  The family were from Mackins Hill in Cullyhanna or Cullynanna which I have been told is in County Armagh.  My great grandfather would have been born in 1857 approx.  He moved to England but I believe the rest of his family stayed in Ireland.  The family home was a farm in Mackins Hill. If anyone has any information I would be grateful if you could pass it on.
Ireland, Lancashire and Cheshire: McMahon, McKeown, Howard, Pennington
Ireland: Mackin
Ireland: McManamon,
Ireland and Lancashire: Kelly
Ireland: Bell
Gloucestershire: Elliott

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mackin Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 08:17 BST (UK) »
Useing Google I found entries on Creggan, and listed under 1970 were several Mackins, ie they may well farm the same place nowdays, I quickly checked BT telephone directory, but didnt find any listingsBest of luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
found one,TERENCE MACKIN 12-5-1865. BIRTHPLACE 488,CROSSMAGLEN, ARMAGH, IRE. PARENTS PATRICK MACKIN & MARY GARVEY. CIVIL REG.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with Mackins please? Yes ... several of us are doing our best :D This link relates to decco's search for James (born in Ireland in 1868) 

The link to Mackins Farm may help as there are replies being posted there. Jim, do you know if any of the archives hold a collection of old phone directories in the same way that they have old street directories?

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 21:21 BST (UK) »
Christopher,  the only telephone Directory  I am aware of as of today is from www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.htm
and is the 1913 Telephone Directory - Belfast, Cork, Dublin, so there are lots to be found. A good leader for your Dublin convention, Jim

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 May 07 21:33 BST (UK) »
Christopher,  the only telephone Directory  I am aware of as of today is from www.lennonwylie.co.uk/index.htm
and is the 1913 Telephone Directory - Belfast, Cork, Dublin, so there are lots to be found. A good leader for your Dublin convention, Jim

Hi Jim,

I was thinking more along the lines of a collection of old telephone directories at PRONI,  the Irish and Local studies sections of the Library boards and the LDS Family History Centre on the Holywood Road, Belfast. I doubt there's a full collection online but unless families are ex-directory the phone books would be another great way to trace them.

Chris

Offline Corky44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 December 08 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help with my search.  I have just spoken to an aunt who informed me that Terence Mackin, born in 1857 was the son of a Mary Connolly.  Terence was a seaman, occupation listed as stoker.  Any ideas where I can  find any further  information on this family?  The family home was listed as Mackins Farm, Mackins Hill in Cullyhanna, but it appears that there were several Mackins families all living in this location in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  I seem to keep hitting a brick wall, any help much appreciated. Picture is of Maggie Mackin, born in 1891
Ireland, Lancashire and Cheshire: McMahon, McKeown, Howard, Pennington
Ireland: Mackin
Ireland: McManamon,
Ireland and Lancashire: Kelly
Ireland: Bell
Gloucestershire: Elliott

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 December 08 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I have found a will on tne PRONI website of Terence Mackin of Dorsey, Armagh, Farmer. Letters of Administration were granted to Patrick Mackin, son, farmer of Dorsey. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Armagh townlands but I'll bet someone else is.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 December 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
PS death was 12 May 1890
Regards